Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom Glove Box opening in Dash
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Custom Glove Box opening in Dash Reply with quote

I am toying with the idea of making an opening in my dash like a glove box. In the opening I will house my Media receiver head unit (single din) and a small shelf for ipods and phones. I would like to open it up very similar to the Aussie Custom 11 Window,
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/Dasdubber/A...added1.jpg

But, I would only like the radio portion to open. i would also like to have it function as a cup holder while open.

That '59 bus is the only one I have seen with that type of an opening, are there any others out there?

Yes, I know it is a hack, but...if all I do is open my radio hole to accept a single din receiver it is a hack too. So, if I am going to hack why not make it a cool hack, and while it is closed almost not noticeable.

Thoughts? Pics?

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hack away!
epayne611
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get a Bluetooth amplifier and avoid the hack altogether? There are plenty of cool options for cup holders as well without having to hack.
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or build a box to fit between the parcel tray and the dash?
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off the head unit I am looking at is a Mech-less deck, bluetooth, usb and back-up camera set up with a remote, so for the most part it can remain hidden.
A cup holder that is just to the right of the steering wheel and above the shifter would be exactly where I would want it. A phone shelf with USB chargers would be nice too.

For me a deck mounted below the dash on the package tray, no matter how neatly done, looks bush league. Like an add-on that was never meant to be there. Unless that entire tray was taken up with gauges, head unit, and a drawer for an Ipad, all finished seamlessly....that would okay.

I did say custom.....not stock. Other hack already in place.

Just hoping for some mechanism ideas that I may not have thought of.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: