Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Sports Bug Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 sports bug Reply with quote

early wrote:
love the sports bug!, I'm mostly finished with my project other than a few bits here and there. keep us posted with your project.

here's a pic of my sport bug before putting body back on frame

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking good, I don't know if you have all the outside black trim, but you can easily get outside mirrors, door handles, front hood handle, rear engine compartment button that fit on the Mexican Beetles. They are all finished in black. The VW emblem for the hood is also black, but I think it's a slightly different style and size than the older Beetles, but the other parts are a direct fit. I also think outside scrapers with black trim and black antennas are also still available as well.

My '96 Mexican has black trim all around (except the front fender lights, which aren't original anyways). Here's a picture I posted last fall on another thread. You can see the black door handles, mirror and front handle, and the black scraper tin around the window in this picture.

early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: 73 sport bug Reply with quote

the black trim is all accounted for, only thing I'm missing is the OE mirror. I have this funky black plastic mirror for now, until I can find a good OE mirror.

my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 73 sport bug Reply with quote

[quote="early"]the black trim is all accounted for, only thing I'm missing is the OE mirror. I have this funky black plastic mirror for now, until I can find a good OE mirror. quote]

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1524817

Nice stripeless Sports Bug BTW, looks very clean w/o stripe---I prefer no stripe as you can tell.... Very Happy
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 73 sports bug Reply with quote

[quote=Looking good, I don't know if you have all the outside black trim, but you can easily get outside mirrors, door handles, front hood handle, rear engine compartment button that fit on the Mexican Beetles. They are all finished in black. The VW emblem for the hood is also black, but I think it's a slightly different style and size than the older Beetles, but the other parts are a direct fit. I also think outside scrapers with black trim and black antennas are also still available as well.

My '96 Mexican has black trim all around (except the front fender lights, which aren't original anyways). Here's a picture I posted last fall on another thread. You can see the black door handles, mirror and front handle, and the black scraper tin around the window in this picture.

[/quote]

That rollback top should have been offered factory, hopkin you have the perfect bug for me. You have done everything to yours I would do to a Mexi-beetle, if only I could.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, the car was sold new with the roof (which is electric), it was a post-factory, pre-dealer option. There are lots of these in Europe, my Mexi was originally sold new in Germany with the roof as you see it. It was bought by someone in the British forces who eventually brought it to the UK. I bought it there and imported it to Canada 2 years ago (it only has to be 15 years old here, not 25 like the US).

BTW, the mirrors that you referenced in this link are plentiful in Mexico. I replaced a set of cheapo chrome mirrors that the original owner had put on with a new black set (VW Brand) from Mexico when I bought the car.

mascrappo wrote:
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the mirrors that you referenced in this link are plentiful in Mexico. I replaced a set of cheapo chrome mirrors that the original owner had put on with a new black set (VW Brand) from Mexico when I bought the car.

[quote="mascrappo wrote:
[/quote]

Quite true, they show up now and then on classifieds. I bought mine much cheaper than the one currently listed, genuine metal VW.
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restoration update and details on another parts score!

So, I've spent some time going over the shell, and figured out what I need for the body/pan restoration. The distortion in the door opening is minimal and will be easily corrected. Will keep you posted in the coming weeks with my progress and will keep the pictures coming. Will be warming up the welder soon.

Now on to the next parts score. I managed to snag another four Sports Bug ET26 rims. These are virtually new. I know the guy that owned them and he had them new for his sports bug back in 1973 when he bought his car, but never put them on until about a year ago. All these years he was running these hideous turtlebacks. Anyways, when he finally put them on his sports bug, he immediately thereafter decided not to use the car anymore, and shoved it in the back of his acreage. As such they got a little bit of surface rust, but nothing really worth mentioning. These rims still have the original factory sticker on the barrel. I shot a picture of it for ya to see. So, if anyone's counting I'm now up to 13 Sports Bug rims. Geez, more than I ever expected to get. Think I'll stop shopping for them. Heh.

The other part I picked up was a NOS Kamei spoiler in 9.9/10 condition. I had one of these on my car in the 80's and loved the look of them, so was thrilled that he threw it in on the deal. Given that I'm going to be restoring two of these Sports bugs, I've been thinking of doing a mold of the spoiler and punch out another one for my other sports bug. I have a fair bit of experience over the years with fiberglass and molding parts, so this piece would be pretty easy to do. Was thinking of either doing a plain fiberglass copy or maybe even a carbon fibre one for the other car. How cool would that look. That however is a project for the summer, when I can do the laying up out on the driveway. Fiberglass work is horribly stinky work, and nothing that I'd like to do in the garage attached to the house. I'll add it to the project list.

Pictures of the four sport rims and center caps.

Here my buddy has placed it against his bumper to show it off.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that front spoiler. I wish someone would reproduce them.

-Sam

Orange Bug 1974 Super Beetle

Board Member of the Greater Toledo Volkswagen Club

Member of Northwest Ohio Region SCCA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those rims are the ultimate find! Thanks for the pics.
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walking Contradiction wrote:

-Sam

They do. I bought 2 of them and found that they don't work on the gas strut bumpers too well. My '73 is getting one, and the extra, I have no idea what I'm doing with it.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWAVE wrote:
Restoration update and details on another parts score!

So, I've spent some time going over the shell, and figured out what I need for the body/pan restoration. The distortion in the door opening is minimal and will be easily corrected. Will keep you posted in the coming weeks with my progress and will keep the pictures coming. Will be warming up the welder soon.

Now on to the next parts score. I managed to snag another four Sports Bug ET26 rims. These are virtually new. I know the guy that owned them and he had them new for his sports bug back in 1973 when he bought his car, but never put them on until about a year ago. All these years he was running these hideous turtlebacks. Anyways, when he finally put them on his sports bug, he immediately thereafter decided not to use the car anymore, and shoved it in the back of his acreage. As such they got a little bit of surface rust, but nothing really worth mentioning. These rims still have the original factory sticker on the barrel. I shot a picture of it for ya to see. So, if anyone's counting I'm now up to 13 Sports Bug rims. Geez, more than I ever expected to get. Think I'll stop shopping for them. Heh.

The other part I picked up was a NOS Kamei spoiler in 9.9/10 condition. I had one of these on my car in the 80's and loved the look of them, so was thrilled that he threw it in on the deal. Given that I'm going to be restoring two of these Sports bugs, I've been thinking of doing a mold of the spoiler and punch out another one for my other sports bug. I have a fair bit of experience over the years with fiberglass and molding parts, so this piece would be pretty easy to do. Was thinking of either doing a plain fiberglass copy or maybe even a carbon fibre one for the other car. How cool would that look. That however is a project for the summer, when I can do the laying up out on the driveway. Fiberglass work is horribly stinky work, and nothing that I'd like to do in the garage attached to the house. I'll add it to the project list.

Pictures of the four sport rims and center caps.

You can find these caps and the bolt caps at CIP1 for a very reasonable price if you want more of them.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Walking Contradiction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:
Walking Contradiction wrote:

-Sam

They do. I bought 2 of them and found that they don't work on the gas strut bumpers too well. My '73 is getting one, and the extra, I have no idea what I'm doing with it.

Well that's a shame.

-Sam

Orange Bug 1974 Super Beetle

Board Member of the Greater Toledo Volkswagen Club

Member of Northwest Ohio Region SCCA
Littlehoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

love watching your build... my sports bug was also built 03/73, from the paperwork I found in the car it came from BC I believe and spent some time in Alberta before making its way out here to Saskatchewan... They probably all came on the same boat lol...
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, another Sports Bug so close to Alberta. They probably did come on the boat together!

Do you have any pictures of it you could share?

Littlehoe wrote:
love watching your build... my sports bug was also built 03/73, from the paperwork I found in the car it came from BC I believe and spent some time in Alberta before making its way out here to Saskatchewan... They probably all came on the same boat lol...

Littlehoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shes not much to look at... this is how I found her

I haven't done much to her yet, just got her running and threw some new rubber on her, checked the brakes and regular maintenance. So far so good. She is a blast to drive... Its been repainted so the stripe is missing but most of the black hardware is still there... Oh and I have that bad rust spot to take care of but the plan is to completely tear it apart this fall and sandblast it all that then replace whatever needs to be replaced and have her looking like new for next spring... I'll try to get some interior pics tomorrow.

oh and my VIN ends in 23786 so I don't know how close to yours it is lol..
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, thanks! Look forward to seeing the interior shots when you get an opportunity.

My two Sports bugs end with the following in their serial numbers:

Overall yours looks pretty darn good. Much better in fact than what I'm starting with on either of the cars of mine. Oh well, I was planning a body off on both anyways, so doesn't really matter in the end how bad they start.

Funny, your garage looks kinda like mine! Confused
Littlehoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overall she is in good shape... She runs and drives great and I am very impressed with her. I think I am going to be starting on my 71 super over the summer and save the 73 for a winter project since its such a great runner....
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interior pictures. Your seats look to be in not bad shape for their age. Mine aren't quite that good.

That's terrific that you're having fun ripping around in your Sports Bug! Can't wait for the day mine will be ready to do the same!
k_riches2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I have an original black mirror from my 74 love bug if your interested.
Avispa91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to more pictures of the restoration. My dad and I are planning a restoration but a long ways from now... Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: