Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Supercharged bugs
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motormike40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Supercharged bugs Reply with quote

Hello, does anyone know anything about the Judson S/C, How much do they go, how much gain do you get. Its a unique idea to S/C a bug. Im possibly intersted, would you have to upgrade internals?
fukengruven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out shoptalkforums.com and go under the turbo/supercharger section. those guys have a lot of experience w/ super/turbochargers
KennyD.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will mainly find a Judson on 36 horses. I've never seen one on anything bigger...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike J. Goode
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made them for 40hp VWs as well. I have heard that they made them for up to 1500cc but have not actually seen one. Dick Landy Industries makes them for VWs now, although they do not fit under the stock deck lid. He claims 43% hp and torque gain
KennyD.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he makes them, but they are not Judsons.
I took this pic at a show a few months back.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
george4888 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Supercharging the VW engine Reply with quote

I talked direct with Dick Landy years ago, as I thought about doing the supercharger thing and basically he was honest and told me that I could not tune the system for reliable street use. It seemed to be best used in some kind of limited off road use or drag type racing. His system will not increase the horsepower by 43%, but what it will do is increase the compression of the engine by maybe that amount. Doing so, requires the use of high octane gasoline, not available at the gas pumps, so it is not practical for street use. Maybe, if you shimmed out the cylinders down to 6.0 C.R., you could get away with the added boast and your final C.R., would be not over 9.0 to 9.5 to 1 CR. It is cheaper to put in a nice running low compression ( like under 8.0 to 1) 2110cc engine, with dual carbs, that would be easy to maintain and cost less, in the long run. Laat time I asked, the going price for the Landy system was about $2,500. It is good quality parts, but out of my price range. I can build lots of horsepower for $2,500 plus the standard parts, one uses to build a modified engine. The other guys are right. The judson was designed for the 1200cc engines. All turbo or superchargers are designed for certain size engine displacement. You MUST match the size of the turbo rotor or the rotors of the supercharger and the air-ratio of the unit to the needs of the engine. It is not an easy thing to do. Ask any racer, using the turbo system, how long it took them to "get it right".. So, dream on, but don't do it. I would like to find a million dollars laying on the street and the model housewife, but it ain't gotta happen. Reality is tough, isn't it. . ----george4888
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KennyD.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to make some real horsepower, then a turbo is your best bet. A turbocharger will more than double your horsepower. A turbocharged engine can last just as long as a n/a engine. You arent always on boost. It's there when you want it...
OR-Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on some pics earlier this week and the green supercharged is mbugz60. As it looks it got hit pretty hard in the rear and doesnt look good. You might want to talk to him about it.

Michael
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KennyD.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the pics posted here?? That sucks for him, that was a really nice bug...
george4888 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Supercharged Beetle Reply with quote

I also, saw that car at the Ennis Meet. Did anyone ask him if he had built it with low compression, for street use and did he really drive it??? So many of the show cars are towed or trailered. It sure looked awesome. I wonder how good it worked. There was also a multi-colored buggy with the same set-up, but looking at their engine, I would be suprised if it ran, with the Landy set up. Just lots of looks. They had so many mechanical mistakes on the buggy, it was sad and I think it still won a trophy. I guess judges do not care about running condition on show cars. I personally thing they should at least run, if they only drive them on and off the trailers. All my cars are drivers. That is what they were build for. ---George
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KennyD.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean this one??

karfer67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i cried when i heard that it got hit. such a beautiful car. i liked what he did with the deck lid this was the first DLI equiped car that i thought looked nice. most of the other ones i have seen don't look right for some reason. like it does not belong there.
OR-Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For pics of the green bug smashed type his name in the memberlist and search his name. there is like 6 or more pics and it looks like the car was just finneshed a few months ago. That is the first vw i have seen with a supercharger and it looks to be crunched in the wreck pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smokin_Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, I love the tip in throttle response of a Supercharger...I think DLI's charger could be a daily driven charged VW if the vehicle is properly tuned...

I ran across this: http://cbperformance.com/turbocharging.asp
Within this article, it covers the basics of FI on a turbocharged application...I think that this or even a MEGASQUIRT system could easily monitor the a/f ratios & provide proper tuning...

I know a few guys using the MEGASQUIRT system on their MKII VW watercooleds...

I hope some of this information helps!
Joe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: