Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift linkage box - is something missing?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Shift linkage box - is something missing? Reply with quote

My transmission (the shift linkage) has been making a lot of noise since I rebuilt by engine. Today I was going to attempt to stop the noise as I just think it's out of adjustment.

I removed the shift linkage box and after looking at the Bently, it seems a guide may be missing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have never seen it and never had an issue shifting other than the shift rod vibrates and makes a lot of noise unless I hold it just so.

Can anyone tell me if the missing bit is essential? I can make stuff pretty easily but I have no idea what it looks like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what is missing
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1921_1246/shift-guide.html

Edit- sorry, didn't notice year, disregard.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup you are.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1589_332/housing_for_shifter_mechanism.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I was only a minute behind! Very Happy
That is usually where I come in.

Hahaaa Shocked
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not missing the aluminum shift guide piece that everyone is talking about. Your year did not have that. Your year had a flat plastic piece that snapped into the holes. I don't think it is available anymore.

Mark

Last edited by crazyvwvanman on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - and I did look my well-worn Bentley. It does show that something is there but not enough detail to tell what it was.

Mine is an 82 but that doesn't mean it has the stock linkage. The transmission is from a gasser.

I'll make a plastic strip and bolt it in place. Hopefully that is where the noise is/was coming from.

Thanks for the replies.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,
I sliced a piece of a block of UHMW I had, milled it flat, and tapped it for two screws.
Here's a shot of it installed:

The tab on the shift lever sits against it nicely when in 4th.
I believe my rattling noise will be gone now.
ewalt98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I just had my box out a couple days ago to clean and re-grease the mech, and went through the Bently to see what I was missing in that same spot. My Bently calls it a "rubber stop plate". I can't imagine rubber holding up too well, but your solution looks like it would.
Let us know how it works out.
72 GT6
88 F350
03 F150
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your plastic plate looks a little thick but it sounds like it works for you. The original part was a somewhat pliable material. This old thread has more info about the original part.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511067&start=0

Mark
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Your plastic plate looks a little thick but it sounds like it works for you. The original part was a somewhat pliable material. This old thread has more info about the original part.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511067&start=0

Mark

Thanks, yeah it is a bit thick but it did quiet things down quite a bit. I must have something out of adjustment. From what I read following your link, it shouldn't even touch the box.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe when everything was new it didn't rub much on that side of the box. Perhaps the increased rubbing over time is what does in the plastic rub strip. You can see by your first photo above that there was some rubbing on the metal side of the box after the strip was gone. Did you drill new holes higher up in the box for your screws to hold the new rub strip? It looks like the rubbing was taking place where the existing holes were.

Mark

Gizmoman wrote:

Thanks, yeah it is a bit thick but it did quiet things down quite a bit. I must have something out of adjustment. From what I read following your link, it shouldn't even touch the box.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Maybe when everything was new it didn't rub much on that side of the box. Perhaps the increased rubbing over time is what does in the plastic rub strip. You can see by your first photo above that there was some rubbing on the metal side of the box after the strip was gone. Did you drill new holes higher up in the box for your screws to hold the new rub strip? It looks like the rubbing was taking place where the existing holes were.

Mark

"When everything was new", thats some funny stuff right there Very Happy
It was rubbing slightly, just enough to wear off the paint. The biggest issue is that the metal shifter tab (which also has a missing bit of plastic) was resting against it and making a rattling noise that was driving me nuts. It still makes a faint noise but quite tolerable now. The extra thickness really tightened up the shift pattern and I may mill off a bit more. I also have some 1/4" rubber sheet I might use which may eliminate the noise entirely.

I drilled new holes near the ends of the stip - outside the travel of the shifter.

The Bentley explains how to adjust the linkage is detail. However, my brain can't seem to follow it Shocked I do think it needs some fiddling though as I doubt it's where it's supposed to be.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your early shifter never had plastic on that tab, only the other tab. With the plastic strip on the side of the box none was needed on the tab on that side. Later years had the aluminum gate/guide added and no plastic strip. Since the tab then sometimes contacted metal it was fitted with a plastic ear.

Mark

Gizmoman wrote:

"When everything was new", thats some funny stuff right there Very Happy
It was rubbing slightly, just enough to wear off the paint. The biggest issue is that the metal shifter tab (which also has a missing bit of plastic) was resting against it and making a rattling noise that was driving me nuts. ......
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference, I have a brand new NOS pad here (VW calls it a "buffer") and it measures exactly 3.15mm thick. The pad is made of a semi-hard, transparent rubber or urethane-like material. I would liken it to a 85A urethane in it's hardness.

And, as always, Mark is correct in that there never was a plastic tip installed on the early shifters like yours, just the short metal tab.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Just for reference, I have a brand new NOS pad here (VW calls it a "buffer") and it measures exactly 3.15mm thick. The pad is made of a semi-hard, transparent rubber or urethane-like material. I would liken it to a 85A urethane in it's hardness.

I found that a wax scraper for skis/snowboards was just about exactly that thickness and works well if you decide to replace the UHMW with something thinner. Probably a bit more brittle than it should be but it is supported by the metal box so it shouldn't matter. It is nice and "slidy" though.

Too bad the original "snap in" holes in the box line up so perfectly with the shifter guide tab or they could have been re-used easily for a nut/bolt to hold the replacement part in.

Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:

And, as always, Mark is correct in that there never was a plastic tip installed on the early shifters like yours, just the short metal tab.

Great info Christopher.
I'll shave it to 3.15 mm.
Also good to know my shifter isn't missing anything as I thought.

Samba - yeah!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you disconnect the shift linkage from the transmission when you dropped the engine? Did you pull the engine with the transmission attached? If you dropped the engine with the shift lever attached, it is possible you may have bent the shift rod or the pivot pin. You might also check for the bushing over the fuel tank. It too is NLA last time I checked as well as the pivot bushings at the end of the first section.

There is a preception that you need to move the shift lever to the right to engage 3rd and 4th gear. That is not correct. At rest, pushing the shift lever straight forward or back selects 3rd and 4th. Side movement is required for only 1,2 and reverse. So, if the shift lever is adjusted properly, it really should not be riding along that side of the box unless you are pushing the shift lever to the right of the passenger compartment.

Early notice part number 10.

Later

Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers.

I left the transmission in during the swap but I'm fairly confident I didn't bend anything.
The NLA bushing you mention I turned from some UHMW as well. The previous one was in bad shape but it was definitely softer than what is there now. That may be the issue as there is zero give now.
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Shift linkage box - is something missing? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if anyone is making or 3D printing the plastic guide in the shift box for the earlier AC vans? I've come up empty.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift linkage box - is something missing? Reply with quote

Vanagain had all the earl shifter parts the last time I checked. I installed all late models shifter parts in my van when I was in there but that’s not the right answer for most people. John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: