Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Line Fuel hose - Quality, Makers, Sizes FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: fuel line Reply with quote

I have a 76 westy with the 2 liter eng. FI, what size hose do I need?
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See ratwell.com for fuel hose sizes and lengths by year.

M
hippyvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm replacing the lines from the tank to the filter and from the fire wall to the tank return. I stopped by my FLAPS and the line they have is 5/16 which i tried on and it fits very well, but stamped on the side of the line is "6.9 Bar" which is ~100psi. what does this rating mean? is it bursting pressure or maximum operating pressure? will this work on my bus?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 PSI far exceeds any possible pressures that can occur in an L-jet system so it's plenty strong for your bus bursting or operating, more than a 2:1 safety margin.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hippyvanman wrote:
I'm replacing the lines from the tank to the filter and from the fire wall to the tank return. I stopped by my FLAPS and the line they have is 5/16 which i tried on and it fits very well, but stamped on the side of the line is "6.9 Bar" which is ~100psi. what does this rating mean? is it bursting pressure or maximum operating pressure? will this work on my bus?

For those particular lines I would recommend the low pressure version of the Gates Barracade hose. Whatever hose you use needs to be able to handle today's alcohol laced fuels. I am guessing the hose you looked at at your FLAPS is only going to be 30R7 hose, which IMO shouldn't be sold for any automotive fuel use any more.

The only commonly available hoses suitable for today's fuels are 30r9 and 30r14 hoses or their European equivalents.
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
From my post on page 3: "time will tell"

Well after 8 months the news isn't good Crying or Very sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So apparently the metric hose from Advanced fluid solutions (silicone hose world on ebay uk) isn't that great Evil or Very Mad

Bummer. What did the innards look like? Do you think that deterioration was caused by fuel?

I forgot about this thread until I realized today I need to check my lines. I will get in there in the next few days and give my report. Did anyone else who bought the line from Advanced Fluid Solutions have a report?

That being said, I located another source for a different line...

http://www.volksbolts.com/FuelHose/index.htm
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
hippyvanman wrote:

For those particular lines I would recommend the low pressure version of the Gates Barracade hose. Whatever hose you use needs to be able to handle today's alcohol laced fuels. I am guessing the hose you looked at at your FLAPS is only going to be 30R7 hose, which IMO shouldn't be sold for any automotive fuel use any more.

The only commonly available hoses suitable for today's fuels are 30r9 and 30r14 hoses or their European equivalents.

That's depends...

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=17820

I used it from April 2006 - Aug. 2013 and the hose showed no signs of cracking or stiffness.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
That's depends...

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=17820

I used it from April 2006 - Aug. 2013 and the hose showed no signs of cracking or stiffness.

There may be some brands that are okay, but others certainly are not. For myself, since I can get the European equivalent of 30r9 for cheaper than I can get 30r7 from any of my local sources I see no reason to risk using 30r7.
matt94gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Fuel Vapor Lines / Fuel Lines / Filler Neck?? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im going to be replacing all the fuel and vapor lines on my 72 just to be on the safe side.

Ratewell mentions that you need various sizes, and I was going to use his guide since it was from a 72' anyways. Has anyone else followed his length and size guide? It seems like it will be a pain to locate all these various sizes? http://ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html#dualcarbs

As well in other threads people say to use braided but in this people say not to. Is there a consensus here?

Going to use "german" fuel lines from a local VW dealer thats ordering them in.

On ratwells site he talks about this elbow piece in the pic below (not sure what the 1st pic is showing? just location?). Anyone know if I should be concerned about this? Anything else I should replace while I'm under there?

Should I fab something up, or just leave it if its in good shape?

As well he doesn't talk much about vapor lines for carbbed bays, is there a diagram similar to this one thats laid out for dual carbs vs FI. As he says this diagram is for fuel injected, and I assume the vapour lines are different?: http://ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses/09-FuelBreatherHoses.jpg

Im pretty much just trying to find out exactly what I need to replace on my dual carb'd 72 bus besides just the fuel lines.

Thanks
Matt

Build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7257521

Last edited by matt94gt on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:38 pm; edited 6 times in total
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Vapor Lines / Fuel Lines / Filler Neck?? Reply with quote

matt94gt wrote:
Hi all,

Im going to be replacing all the fuel and vapor lines on my 72 just to be on the safe side.

Ratewell mentions that you need various sizes, and I was going to use his guide since it was from a 72' anyways. Has anyone else followed his length and size guide? It seems like it will be a pain to locate all these various sizes? http://ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html#dualcarbs

As well in other threads people say to use braided but in this people say not to. Is there a consensus here?

Another thing is the plastic filler neck (I think thats what its called its #1 in the below diagram), I have read that these generally go bad, but the parts guy said they dont make replacements anymore? Anyone know if I should be concerned about this? Anything else I should replace while im under there?

Thanks
Matt

Fuel filler grommet is available as a reproduction item! Bus-boys.com had a nice quality one.
matt94gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I edited my post above, that diagram is from a FI bay window. I find ratwell's site a bit confusing on whats applicable to a dual carb vs FI. What part number above is the fuel filler grommit?

Build thread:
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt94gt wrote:
Sorry I edited my post above, that diagram is from a FI bay window. I find ratwell's site a bit confusing on whats applicable to a dual carb vs FI. What part number above is the fuel filler grommit?

I'm not to familiar with the 72 but think you need #D pictures below in link

http://www.bus-boys.com/fueltanks6879.html

This item is sold threw the usual vendors and I believe the item can be had threw a local Flaps. There is a thread on this.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Vapor Lines / Fuel Lines / Filler Neck?? Reply with quote

matt94gt wrote:

That was solid advice 10 years ago but today I wouldn't do that, use something with a J30R9 rating or higher preferrably with a visible inner liner, although the Germans are meticulous about thier hose they are also meticulous about the gas they sell and have no worries about any evil corn squeezin's getting into thier tanks, thier stuff works great if you never use ethanol blends or never allow it to age. I like the Goodyear fuel injection hose from my FLAPS, no failures in 4+ years since I switched yet the German has failed in as short as 3 months. And if you are unfamiliar with the potential for gravity feed in the bus fuel system a failure is not at all a good thing, especially if it's feeding a fire.
matt94gt wrote:
On ratwells site he talks about this elbow piece in the pic below (not sure what the 1st pic is showing? just location?). Anyone know if I should be concerned about this? Anything else I should replace while I'm under there?

That's the other end of that line the elbow pictured attaces to, it's the filler vent, you'll want to replace that elbow even if it looks good unless you like gas stink and enjoy pulling the tank every few years. Matt's advice is dead on for a 74+ bus but a 72 has a metal filler neck welded into the body, the long curved hose between the filler tube and tank is still an issue and is best replaced by a piece of bent exhaust tube and 2 short lengths of the NAPA filler hose or possibly the sprinter part.
Do it now or do it again later.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
matt94gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Vapor Lines / Fuel Lines / Filler Neck?? Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
matt94gt wrote:

I'm not to familiar with the 72 but think you need #D pictures below in link

http://www.bus-boys.com/fueltanks6879.html

This item is sold threw the usual vendors and I believe the item can be had threw a local Flaps. There is a thread on this.

Excellent thank you!

busdaddy wrote:
matt94gt wrote:

That was solid advice 10 years ago but today I wouldn't do that, use something with a J30R9 rating or higher preferrably with a visible inner liner, although the Germans are meticulous about thier hose they are also meticulous about the gas they sell and have no worries about any evil corn squeezin's getting into thier tanks, thier stuff works great if you never use ethanol blends or never allow it to age. I like the Goodyear fuel injection hose from my FLAPS, no failures in 4+ years since I switched yet the German has failed in as short as 3 months. And if you are unfamiliar with the potential for gravity feed in the bus fuel system a failure is not at all a good thing, especially if it's feeding a fire.
matt94gt wrote:

That's the other end of that line the elbow pictured attaces to, it's the filler vent, you'll want to replace that elbow even if it looks good unless you like gas stink and enjoy pulling the tank every few years. Matt's advice is dead on for a 74+ bus but a 72 has a metal filler neck welded into the body, the long curved hose between the filler tube and tank is still an issue and is best replaced by a piece of bent exhaust tube and 2 short lengths of the NAPA filler hose or possibly the sprinter part.
Do it now or do it again later.

Ill look into getting good year J30R9 or higher, do you happen to know the part#?

Okay, and it seems there is no replacement for that elbow? It looks like on ratwell's site they link to a guy who custom fabbed and welded one in. Im sure there must be an elbow somewhere that works?! I just filled up and sniffed around, no gas smell whats-so-ever but Id rather be safe then sorry.

Thanks for your advice, you've been an awesome help to a noobie like me!

Build thread:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Vapor Lines / Fuel Lines / Filler Neck?? Reply with quote

matt94gt wrote:
I just filled up and sniffed around, no gas smell whats-so-ever but Id rather be safe then sorry.

One drive on a twisty mountain road with a hot cranky 5 year old in the back will change that diagnosis in the blink of an eye, if it's not leaking yet it will be soon.
I've robbed the PCV hose from assorted Honda's at the wrecker in the past for a section with the bent in elbow, others have used a copper elbow and straight sections to connect it or made it up from threaded pipe fittings and elbows.

As for a part number I can't find the last invoice from my FLAPS but ask for 1/4" fuel injection line and it'll likely be the right stuff. You'll also need a foot of 5/16" for the short vapor line connectors in the tank compartment and under the cooling vents.

Слава Україні!
tolstoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for carb type1 engines......did we decide to go with the smaller 4.8mm or the bigger 6.3mm hose? Want to get some barricade, but still unsure of the size.

Tolstoy
matt94gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Vapor Lines / Fuel Lines / Filler Neck?? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
matt94gt wrote:
I just filled up and sniffed around, no gas smell whats-so-ever but Id rather be safe then sorry.

One drive on a twisty mountain road with a hot cranky 5 year old in the back will change that diagnosis in the blink of an eye, if it's not leaking yet it will be soon.
I've robbed the PCV hose from assorted Honda's at the wrecker in the past for a section with the bent in elbow, others have used a copper elbow and straight sections to connect it or made it up from threaded pipe fittings and elbows.

As for a part number I can't find the last invoice from my FLAPS but ask for 1/4" fuel injection line and it'll likely be the right stuff. You'll also need a foot of 5/16" for the short vapor line connectors in the tank compartment and under the cooling vents.

Yes Ill be changing that, im not a penny pincher and like to do things right while Im at it.

Ok so all I need is 1/4" and 5/16"? Approx. how many feet of each?

ps: Noticed your over in Van, maybe ill come over and stuff you full of beer and pizza and you can help me lol. Laughing

Build thread:
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tolstoy wrote:
So, for carb type1 engines......did we decide to go with the smaller 4.8mm or the bigger 6.3mm hose? Want to get some barricade, but still unsure of the size.

Tolstoy

I think you'll still find there is a difference of opinion on which is better and it might also depend on what components have been added to the fuel system. I went smaller, with the 3/16 barricade and while they're a bit tougher to get on I am happy with it a year later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt94gt wrote:
Ill look into getting good year J30R9 or higher, do you happen to know the part#?

I've had Gates R14 5/16" hose on my bus for 2 years now and it still looks great. If you have O'Reilly Auto Parts up there they have it. The P/N is J30R14T1.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matt94gt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No o'rilies here up in Canada thanks though it should help.

Build thread:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: