Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 single port - what carb(s)?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: 1776 single port - what carb(s)? Reply with quote

I am running a 1776 single port engine and my kombi is cruzing nicely around 60-65 MPH while still have reduction boxes. Very Happy

What is the best setup for a 1776 single port?

.........single carb - or - dual? what size???

Any thoughts???
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran single port Kads with the last one I built and couldn't have been any happier. Pay the money and have the Kaddy Shack hook them up for your engine.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CamBiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 1600 SP I put on some Weber ICT's along with some ratio rockers and extractors and was really happy with the result.
MUCH better Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1776 DP with kadrons, a SVDA distributor, and a crappy empi 4 tip exhaust - the kads provide much better performance and slightly better mpg compared to my single carb experience on the same engine. The crappy empi exhaust is also much better performance (less restrictive, cooler engine temps) compared to the high quality stock exhaust I used to run.

I wanted to keep my engine simple when I was running the single carb, but honestly I think the dual Kads are more simple and they are definitely more reliable in my experience. They were also easy to install and tune by ear. I never worried about balancing them with a airflow meter (I believe my kads have a rubber airflow balancing hose between the two carbs/manifolds).

I top out at about 90 mph with reductions boxes. I can cruise flats at about 75 mph. Hills are painfully slow, but I think some of that is due to large rear tires (lucky if I can sustain 55mph).

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
I have a 1776 DP with kadrons, a SVDA distributor, and a crappy empi 4 tip exhaust - the kads provide much better performance and slightly better mpg compared to my single carb experience on the same engine. The crappy empi exhaust is also much better performance (less restrictive, cooler engine temps) compared to the high quality stock exhaust I used to run.

I wanted to keep my engine simple when I was running the single carb, but honestly I think the dual Kads are more simple and they are definitely more reliable in my experience. They were also easy to install and tune by ear. I never worried about balancing them with a airflow meter (I believe my kads have a rubber airflow balancing hose between the two carbs/manifolds).

I top out at about 90 mph with reductions boxes. I can cruise flats at about 75 mph. Hills are painfully slow, but I think some of that is due to large rear tires (lucky if I can sustain 55mph).

What size tires? and a stock geared trans? 90 and 75 is impressive.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

235/70r15. It takes about half an hour to get up to top speed in fourth gear. Headwind or slight uphill and I have to downshift to third. It consistently hits 85+mph but only when I am driving south on I-25 out of Cheyenne, WY (1000' elevation drop over 50 miles). There are a few spots on I-25 between Fort Collins and Denver where I can't maintain 75mph (big rolling hills). I am not sure if I can hit 85+ on that section of highway (too many cops, too much traffic, too many rolling hills and curves = too much stress).

I can maintain 58-60 mph wound out in third gear. I believe everythign is stock geared for a '67 Kombi.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: