Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need someone to make a few sheet metal parts
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Need someone to make a few sheet metal parts Reply with quote

I've tried to find good replacements for these galvanized steel trim parts used on 76-79 Westys.
I've given up and am now looking to hire someone to fabricate these from new galvanized sheet metal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need someone with the time, the equipment, and the skill necessary to cut and bend *exact* duplicates.
I'm willing to pay what it takes and will provide sample parts up front.
I need someone that will take the task seriously and get it done, not leave me wondering why months from now I still don't have new parts.
These should be relatively easy to make.

If you know of someone, or are that person to make these please post or PM me. If duplicates can be economically made, I will make them available for purchase.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Galvanized Metal Reply with quote

You should able to have those made up at a Good sheet metal shop in your area.

I found a great place where I live that will make all types of accurate bends
from just my drawings.

And, since you have the items in hand it should be easy.

Good Hunting Wink
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ what Chris said.

I've seen many and most get tossed. I had a nice set for sale a few years back and tossed them as I got tired of looking at them after no one was interested.

Did you check with Ken Madsen at busco, Chris at bustedbus or Avery's in Washington? You can straighten most with a dolly and body hammer, then glass bead and spray with zinc or silver paint.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The galvanized finish can neither be replaced or duplicated, unlike other industrial platings. This coating has a mottled silver/grey appearance and no paint or paint technique I've tried comes even close to that appearance.

When the original galvanized coating is intact but only oxidized, it can be readily cleaned and polished with good results. This is what I did on the pieces I restored for my rear seat lower cabinet.

Once the oxidation has cut through the galvanized coating, there is no way to bring it back. If its just a spot here and there, a little paint dab in the right place and it'll still look pretty good. When there's spots all over or large areas worn out, paint just looks obvious and bad. Trust me, I've tried.

What I've found with these pieces is that because they are in high-use areas, they just all seem too far gone to restore. I have emailed and called all the usual places and answered every parting-out ad I could find for the last many months. Most of the parting out Westy advertisers here have simply ignored repeated emails, others said "nope", and the few remainders have all had significant rust on these parts. The final straw was waiting for over a month for a set of parts that looked like they might be restorable, only to find once I'd buffed them that the plating was shot through all over. Not blaming the seller - there was no way to know.

No more fooling around. Too much time and money wasted. Should have just had them made in the first place. Just didn't know it would be this hard to buy interior metal parts with galvanized plating that wasn't all fried.

I'll check locally, but thought I'd check here first to see if someone with sheet metal bending and cutting skill would take this on. I recall one poster saying "what can I make for you?" or something like that, but a search came up empty.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean your old part well and then have it spray welded with zinc. Should look very close to OEM when done.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Clean your old part well and then have it spray welded with zinc. Should look very close to OEM when done.

This will not duplicate the "spangled" or mottled appearance of galvanized rolled sheet metal. This appearance is caused by crystals that form specific to the process that is used, which is a hot-knife leveling of molten zinc applied to heated steel. The spangled appearance on these parts is just like what you see on heat ducting in your home.

Zinc electoplating will also create a nice finish, but is bright silver-bluish and looks nothing like the original galvanized finish.

Hot-dip galvanizing also applies zinc but in a thick layer. Although some spangling will occur, the coating it leaves is very thick and uneven and builds up on edges and fills small holes. It is commonly used for outdoor fences and farm implements. Experimenting with this is how I ruined the finish of my original parts.

Just need to make the parts out of new galvanized sheet metal and the problem is solved.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freshly applied there would be a noticeable difference between standard galvanized sheet and spray welded zinc, but with age I think most people would have a hard time telling the difference.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can these be cleaned properly? I have the peices for you but I just don't know if they are good enough, they don't look rusty to me, just dirty.

1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
How can these be cleaned properly? I have the peices for you but I just don't know if they are good enough, they don't look rusty to me, just dirty.

I can tell by looking at the spare tire cabinet floor trim at the bottom of the photo that the plating is shot. Those white and reddish spots aren't going to clean off. When they're polished off, you will see black spots that are rusted base metal.

At the top of the photo is the heat vent and the face that is showing looks like it is in good shape - basically just greyed and will polish up. What you don't show are the two horizontal (when mounted) surfaces that get stepped on over the years. In every case, the ones I've found have big spots that are broken through to the base metal. Maybe yours is not and if you can show me a good photo of those surfaces I might be able to say one way or the other.

As I say, I'm not keen on going around in any more circles with these parts - the cycle of getting photos, waiting and waiting to get the part, paying good money and spending time washing, polishing, polishing, polishing eats up huge amounts of time which I could spend on important things.

One member has come forward to fabricate. I will proceed with this and see if this dragon can finally be slayed.
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: