Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help in CA dual port intake manifold boot issue fixed in car
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Help in CA dual port intake manifold boot issue fixed in car Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm 250 miles from home, and my bus decided to rip a DP intake boot. That explains the wandering idle this morning… It hisses bad at idle but stops under throttle. I can drive a little bit at a time watching the CHT temps climb, but when they get high I pull over. I swapped in a richer jet setup in an effort to get home without overheating, but it was a no go.

I'm pulled over in a safe place for the night, but all the VW places I can fathom are closed Sunday.

A) does anybody South of the Grapevine have a set I could buy from you?
B) does anybody know of a SoCal shop open on Sundays?
C) last resort- does anybody worldwide have a spare set they could measure the ID of? I can't find the dimensions online, but I can find step-down silicone tubing where I'm "camping."

Thanks!
Robbie

ps- here's a picture to make this less dreary:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by airschooled on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoe Goo might get you going, as might self adhering silicone tape from a hardware store. Getting access to the boots is the hardest part as I am sure you know by now.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long Dumb Starbucks will be open before Smart Starbucks shuts them down.. I agree with DB, Shoe Goo or maybe some manner of wetsuit repair sealant would make a good temp fix. Might be tough to get it clean enough for the stuff to stick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duct tape that bitch. The whole boot and clamps if you have to. Bailing wire over the tape.. . don`t let that stop you.
taylorb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You deffinantly over thought this with replacing the jets. Like the othere said wrap that bitch in tape and roll it.

76 STD Bug-Sold
71 Transporter Converted To Camper.
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ned wrote:
Duct tape that bitch. The whole boot and clamps if you have to. Bailing wire over the tape.. . don`t let that stop you.

I would use the duct tape to put the boot together and then spray the outside with FlexSeal as a temporary fix.
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbie,

If the other quick-fixes don't work for you, here's the dimensions.
End casting ends are 1.655" OD
Center intake ends are 1.360" OD

-Robb
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Shoe Goo might get you going, as might self adhering silicone tape from a hardware store. Getting access to the boots is the hardest part as I am sure you know by now.

I actually had some of that "emergency tape" stuff that you grab at the checkout line at the hardware store. I think it helped, but idle still hisses.

sxxuxrxf wrote:
If the other quick-fixes don't work for you, here's the dimensions.
End casting ends are 1.655" OD
Center intake ends are 1.360" OD

Thanks! There's a really good flaps down the street, I'm hoping they have something. Heading there now…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electricians tape will work. Just get a roll and keep overlapping. remove the duct tape. Stretch the tape a little as you wrap it.

you did not say where you are in So Cal which REALLY would help. I did look online and some NAPA stores carry them as part number Part Number: ATM 113129729B

Don't forget the metal gaskets under the ends - if you can't get them put a little sealer on them - maybe Permatex #2
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks Steve.

Currently in Santa Clarita, heading to a friends house who has a pair of boots!

local NAPA didn't have a clue what I was talking about, couldn't find that PN either. Trying another one later if I still need the gaskets.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bam! Fellow Samba member and all around great human being mranker pulls through with a set of boots and NAPA comes through with the gaskets.

I love this website. Thanks all for your suggestions and help.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Ah thanks Steve.

Currently in Santa Clarita, heading to a friends house who has a pair of boots!

local NAPA didn't have a clue what I was talking about, couldn't find that PN either. Trying another one later if I still need the gaskets.

for future reference on anyone who finds this thread and is near a NAPA

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%...d3%26N%3d0
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

for future reference on anyone who finds this thread and is near a NAPA

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%...d3%26N%3d0

Yep. The first store I went to didn't have these numbers in their system. The second store did have it, and was able to direct me to a third store that did. SGKent posted the boot above, but the link didn't work on my phone, so there's the number. Obviously a VW shop would be a better choice than NAPA, but nobody else was open on my Sunday with a deadline.

Intake gasket set #: FPG MS225703
Intake air boot #: ATM 113129729B

FWIW, I'm using the dontated used boots since the napa boot is the same flimsy rubber that has failed me, but black instead of orange. mranker's old boots are the thick but still squishy red ones I prefer.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how to get at these boots in car. There's no secret sauce, just careful manipulation of parts.

1. Remove air cleaner, heater hoses, and heat riser tin. (A zillion little tin screws, four hose clamps, and your breather hose.)

2. Unbolt heat riser junction at exhaust/intake manifold. (4 bolts.) You will have bolts that thread into the exhaust if you have the stock setup, my Vintage Speed is drilled through Mad

3. Loosen the boots if you plan to reuse them, and then remove this 13mm nut that holds the intake to the case. Often times this nut being loose is what can rip boots to begin with. If you loosen this nut before loosening the boots and before disconnecting the heat risers, you will probably rip your boots.

4. Loosen but don't remove your gen/alt strap and push it towards the fan shroud. This will give you a few mm of extra clearance for the next step.

5. (Sorry, forgot the photo…) Loosen and remove the 4 nut/washer combos that hold down the manifold side pieces. A 13mm socket on 12" extension works fine for the front (front of bus) nuts, but the rear ones you can easily see are trickier. A low profile 13mm 12pt box end was the hot ticket for me. Your milage may vary. Colin has a nice photo with an alternate method that I can not find right now. He puts the wrench on vertically and uses a screwdriver to turn the wrench I think.

6. Once they're off, wiggle your center manifold piece up, down, left, and right. Go all the way left, then around clockwise. The case halves prevent you from moving it to the right, so the right side manifold side piece will come out first. Once it's out, you'll have more freedom to wiggle the venter piece and get the left piece off the pipe.

7. Now you'll be able to get the end piece off. Yes, you can. I promise. Push it down flush with the head, and then tilt it back, pivoting around the rear stud. This will get it off and clear the fan shroud. Ok so it might rub a bit on the shroud. But it will come off if you get the angles just right. As they say in Bentley land, installation is the reverse of removal, especially for this step. Use new gaskets on the head-intake junction. Total time for me was 2:10, including a break to walk the dog and eat a sandwich. The first time I did it took me 4 hours.

Now go drive your (hopefully) leak-free bus.

Notes: Use new gaskets on the heads please. New heat risers gaskets are nice too, but I've made do several times reusing the old ones. I also spray a light film of oil on the boots, since they've lasted me longer that way. I've also never been able to do this without ripping a heater hose, so I like to have those handy.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
I wonder how long Dumb Starbucks will be open before Smart Starbucks shuts them down.. I agree with DB, Shoe Goo or maybe some manner of wetsuit repair sealant would make a good temp fix. Might be tough to get it clean enough for the stuff to stick.

They have nothing to worry about due to a 'Parody' clause pertaining to mocking of trademark/s. Starbucks doesn't have a leg to stand on regarding the mocking/parody of their trademark.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

They have nothing to worry about due to a 'Parody' clause pertaining to mocking of trademark/s. Starbucks doesn't have a leg to stand on regarding the mocking/parody of their trademark.

Not to get off topic... But parody applies to copyright, not trademark. Trademark law exclusively applies to cases like this. Copyright laws pertain to intellectual property, like created works of art, music, film, writing, etc. Tademarks apply to produced goods and services to protect companies from knock-off products diluting sales.

One reddit user said there were a few hidden cameras in the shop, so we'll see.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
udidwht wrote:
TomWesty wrote:

Not to get off topic... But parody applies to copyright, not trademark. Trademark law exclusively applies to cases like this. Copyright laws pertain to intellectual property, like created works of art, music, film, writing, etc. Tademarks apply to produced goods and services to protect companies from knock-off products diluting sales.

One reddit user said there were a few hidden cameras in the shop, so we'll see.

Looking it up it applies to both in similar fashion.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: