Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring brake running lights on sand rail
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
palmettofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Wiring brake running lights on sand rail Reply with quote

I have looked around and I'm not sure if I'm looking for the wrong piece of information or what.

My sand rail wiring, when I got it, was an absolute mess so I'm redoing it. I'm not going down the path of a premade wiring harness because I want to do this myself and become more confident in my wiring abilities because I don't get to do it often.

I want the brake lights to go dim/half lit when the head lights are on and from what I'm seeing on the wiring diagrams I have is just straight wired up and I'm not sure without having gone into it yet if this will inherently happen magically or whatever with the relays I have.

Originally the rail had no relays and everything was wired up straight through a 6 port fuse block. I bought two 30a relays for the low beam/high beams. Do I need separate relays for the turn signals (one for all 4 sides?) and another for the brake lights?

Also, what makes the brake lights go dim when the headlights are on?

The lights that came with it are basic 2 wire single bulb trailer lights.

Here are the diagrams I'm going by
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically brake lights do not go dim when head lights are on..... Typically you have two filaments in bulb, one dim, one bright... The dim filament is the "tail" or "marker" light and comes on with headlights, the bright filament is the "stop" or "turn" element...

You can go exotic with relay system (lot of work for sand rail) or just get aftermarket turn signal switch....

Something like this would do you just fine.... It handles both turn signal and stop light functions ... Tail lamp function would be part of head light switch/circuit...

Only thing is I would stay away from cheap Chinese plastic unit and go for Signal Stat 500 or similar (with metal housing)...

Combining turn signal switch circuit above with this one below, will give you really simple but complete lighting... "High/low/off" headlights and full stop/turn indicators.... Only thing really missing is a better fusing arrangement....

Keep in mind, these diagrams only deal with "lighting" you still need ignition and charging circuits, and even idiot lamps...

This gives you basic engine circuits...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
palmettofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you answered my question with the two filament bulb part. Just tried it out with the existing brake lights and they are dim/bright when grounding the body and the two wires are connected to power. I assumed the two wires were positive/negative not one for each filament.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: