Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

359 kit
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
type34inKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: 359 kit Reply with quote

What do you guys think of the 359 kits? I think they look great, but wondered about fit/finish, quality and availability of parts, etc. There is one selling here locally and it's nearly complete, but is missing a few items I think I could fabricate. Thanks in advance.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: 359 kit Reply with quote

i would say it depends on who makes it.
fit and finish really depends on how much time and care you take putting it together. so many people try to slap them together in an afternoon. clearly there fit and finish will not be the same as someone that takes there time. it's all in the amount of prep you do and care in assembling.
Frank
(o\ l /o)JHC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type34inKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: 359 kit Reply with quote

How about parts? Does anyone know if the glass is from another car that could be found easily? I also don't think there is a top with it... anyone know if there's a registry for these where I could get help? Thanks.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: 359 kit Reply with quote

well..I have one, it is for sale on EBAY, the kit was fine as far as construction and fit, it was just alot of things happening to my life...check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2420697238&category=7251
type34inKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: 359 kit Reply with quote

Ya, I've seen you've been trying to sell that one for a while. I almost bought the red one that was on last week that was listed as 90% completed- it was local. I talked myself out of it, but could have had it for under $4500. I still want one, just can't do it right now.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: 359 kit Reply with quote

its been for sale the last 3 months...thats hardly awhile...and I will not "give" mine away....If You know of one in better shape for less..buy it...at least mine is intact and complete...
type34inKY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: 359 kit Reply with quote

Sorry, I can see how that could be confrontational, but it wasn't meant that way.

The one here locally was all there minus 1 engine cover vent. It needed a lot of work- like having disk brakes installed, lowered, needed wiring, interior installed, top installed, etc. Personally, that was fine with me, as I'd rather start fresh on wiring and see the parts go in than to try to figure out how something had been done previously.

The rotary on yours seems like a cool conversion. I'm sure it generates all kinds of power. I'm completely intimidated by them... I like the nice simple fweem of a VW powerplant- and the ease of a weekend rebuild.

The hard thing about kits is that the prices are generally very low if they are apart/incomplete- and crazy expensive if they're finished and running... A perfect example would be the Cobras you see around... unfinished kits are dirt cheap, but completed cars go for $30K+!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: 359 kit Reply with quote

well, mine has a new adjustable front end, disc brakes, shocks, gauges etc..and since it did not sell..its being completed as we speak..since I had a motorcycle accident, i can't do the heavy work myself..so I am paying someone to do it...
the rotary engine is awesome with its power for a small engine, it produces 145 hp and lots of torque..when I drove it when I first got it...I thought it was too powerful...but now that its got the new pans, suspension, etc...we will see..
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: 359 kit Reply with quote

I have seen your car on ebay. Cool! I would have bought but I had already bought a regular speedster. I think the rotary is intimidateing as well but worth it for the power and cool factor.

Where did you find space for the radiator?

Ben
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: