Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ulitmate Van build thread...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the picture quality...
Jeff
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work I vote for Happy Wheels. I currently have a 91 auto Westy. Respectable rust free ride. I also have an 86 Syncro. Oh the Debate, sell both and buy a Syncro Westy? Chopping a salvageable Syncro is not my favorite thought.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1172237.jpg[/img]
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a bit of a break to move to the interior. I rebuilt the heater box, new heater core, blower motor, cleaned, and resealed it before I installed the dash wiring.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was planning on a diesel power plant, I already had a stout AAZ so before I installed the instrument cluster I installed a late turbo diesel MK2 tach.

It's a complete plug and play unit, no modification or issues at all. I've been using them for years in all my Diesel conversions. I'd even use it on a TDi, with an older 120amp Alternator, just to keep that part simple and looking factory.
I went with a simple dash pod from a F350 on top of my instrument cluster. I use a trailer connector below it to remove it easily for service. I have a Voltmeter, Boost Gauge, and an Oil pressure gauge at eye level.

I mounted a set of 215/70R16 Yokohama Geolanders on a set of stock 16" Audi wheels, I've since got the rims I want and these wheels are now on my sons A4quattro as his winter wheels. Good luck getting them back...
jimeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff's Old Volks Home wrote:
jimeg wrote:
which axles/cv's did you use?

I use Empi. I pack them well, paint the shafts to make them pretty. I'm not a hardcore off roader, they'll last me a long time. As a matter of fact, I've sold and installed hundreds of them, and I can count on my right hand how many I've had a problem with.
DISCLAIMER: Due to an injury involving a winch cable I have not nearly as many digits to count with as many of you... Very Happy Total count 6 1/2...
Jeff

sorry to hear about the accident. i worked in Switzerland as a carpenter's helper a long time ago. many of the more seasoned carpenters were missing digits - garnering immediate respect from us younger lads in the trade.

glad to hear about your experience with Empi. I(we) are putting EMPI's on the rear of my Syncro. It's a mostly stock van with stock wheels. Not to turn this thread into the CV joint debate. End of discussion.

Thanks for posting your build. These are my favorite threads on the Samba. Amazing work.

Here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578490
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimeg wrote:
jimeg wrote:
which axles/cv's did you use?

I use Empi. I pack them well, paint the shafts to make them pretty. I'm not a hardcore off roader, they'll last me a long time. As a matter of fact, I've sold and installed hundreds of them, and I can count on my right hand how many I've had a problem with.
DISCLAIMER: Due to an injury involving a winch cable I have not nearly as many digits to count with as many of you... Very Happy Total count 6 1/2...
Jeff

sorry to hear about the accident. i worked in Switzerland as a carpenter's helper a long time ago. many of the more seasoned carpenters were missing digits - garnering immediate respect from us younger lads in the trade.

glad to hear about your experience with Empi. I(we) are putting EMPI's on the rear of my Syncro. It's a mostly stock van with stock wheels. Not to turn this thread into the CV joint debate. End of discussion.

Thanks for posting your build. These are my favorite threads on the Samba. Amazing work.

Don't be too sorry, it happened 38 years ago! I was 'helping' my dad at his sawmill. He still thinks about that day.
These are my favourite threads too.
Jeff
Solrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a good source on finding a diesel tach? I've been scouring ebay and everywhere else, even some local junk yards and I haven't been able to find one at a reasonable price. Sad
Gone but not forgotten:
71 Super Beetle - Gretel
92 Jetta GL - Jerry
97 Passat TDI - Penny
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solrider wrote:
Do you have a good source on finding a diesel tach? I've been scouring ebay and everywhere else, even some local junk yards and I haven't been able to find one at a reasonable price. Sad

I too look far and wide... They're out there. I usually pay $50-$100 for a working MK2 instrument cluster. If I'm in a bind, I'll buy the whole car. That's one item I don't sell, I need them for my own conversions.
Jeff
syncroluvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that you kept the same color and I will follow your build! Very Happy

Y2K V6 Passat

Calcandi Leviter
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... Body-check, Suspension-check, Dash-check.
Front diff remains stock, a good used unit. I'm planning for a solid shaft and a decoupler later on. But for now I'm satisfied with it.
The transmission was (I'll explain was and not is later) fairly stock with oiling plates and a reinforced gear carrier. Stock gearing. Red paint. Locking diff.

The van was automatic to start with so that had to be converted as well. No big deal. I have a ton of parts vans. Plus I just swapped a customers van from manual to automatic so I scored a good pedal cluster, shifter, bushing mounts... plus of course I replaced the hydraulic clutch cylinders and made up a new line set too. Don't forget to bridge the starter wires at the old neutral safety switch and run a wire to the back up light switch too.

Jeff
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, inspiring.
6 1/2 digits on your right hand though?! Good thing you had plenty of spares.
Going to bookmark this one.
-d
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Great thread, inspiring.
6 1/2 digits on your right hand though?! Good thing you had plenty of spares.
Going to bookmark this one.
-d

LOL!!! Laughing total count!!!
Jeff
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Plant.
That's an easy decision. I make a business of converting Vanagons to diesels. So I might as well do another one for myself. I acquired a new AAZ short block in race trim. I disassembled it, installed H-beam rods, a crank girdle, ARP hardware through out, lowered the compression by cutting the pistons to 18.5 to 1... New everything, really new. I had my friend Giles build me an over the top injection pump, match me a set of injectors, and advise me on timing. I had a new AMC head sent out for a 3 angle valve job, port and polish and Manley supplied an over size valve for both intake and exhaust. I did use a Dr. Diesel cam but found it to be hurting my bottom end so I went back to a stocker. Much better...

I did try every practical turbo T2 nice but left me wanting more volume, T3 nice top end took forever to spool up, lazy where it mattered. I found myself starting out in 'G' gear on the slightest hill...

What I ended up with is a new Garret 17/22 VNT turbo controlled by a Dawes Device. I know somebody is going to share their idea about how to control it, but this works awesome, instant boost, very adjustable, I keep it at 15psi for reliability. I do have an EGT gauge- never exceeds 1000f. I've had it adjusted to 24 psi for a short time, what a hoot.

I'm running a liquid to air intercooler and the boost is very consistent in any ambient temperature. The radiator for it is under the floor on the right side, as is a multi-layer fan cooled oil cooler.
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another VNT shot...
Hard to see but you get the idea...

The custom intake manifold is the difference in my conversions and most other peoples. I like to stand up the engine and make a manifold that flows better and clears the engine lid with ease.
I've tidied up the engine room a bunch, replaced the prototype clamps with band type, used my TIG welder to fix up the breather fittings...that kind of thing...
Jeff
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interior is mainly stock, except now the jump seats are gone and Brian's new kitchen/outhouse project will be in this week I hope...
I have a single 100w solar panel on the roof, mounted with rubber feet. an MPPT controller

You can see the propex thermostat above the solar controler.
I have 3- 45aH deep cycle batteries, so far I've camped in cloud/rain for a week and the fridge is still nice and cold.
Speaking of the fridge, I put a marine 12v outlet where the 2WD gas used to live to power my 27l Mobi-cool cooler box. I'm planning on donating that one to my air cooled vans and buy a new Engel MT45, it'll live outside most of it's life while I'm parked and camping.

I mounted a new propane tank to the bottom, in the same spot that the full campers have theirs and I've got a grey water tank to put in under there too to drain my new sink.
Solrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solrider wrote:

I too look far and wide... They're out there. I usually pay $50-$100 for a working MK2 instrument cluster. If I'm in a bind, I'll buy the whole car. That's one item I don't sell, I need them for my own conversions.
Jeff

Thanks, I'll just keep my hunt up. I've found a few but for $200+ which I'm not willing to pay.
Gone but not forgotten:
71 Super Beetle - Gretel
92 Jetta GL - Jerry
97 Passat TDI - Penny
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This box will fit behind the drivers seat and fasten just like a jump seat into the bracket on the seat pedestal.
The sink is about twice as big as a stock westy sink. one burner stove.
We do most of our cooking outside so it's just for being stealthy when traveling.
Jeff
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solrider wrote:
Solrider wrote:

Jeff

Thanks, I'll just keep my hunt up. I've found a few but for $200+ which I'm not willing to pay.

They're like gold, that's what you have to pay whether or not is what it's worth, it's what it costs...If you really want one, maybe take out a paper route. Oh wait there are no more news papers... Smile
Jeff
Solrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solrider wrote:
Solrider wrote:

Jeff

They're like gold, that's what you have to pay whether or not is what it's worth, it's what it costs...If you really want one, maybe take out a paper route. Oh wait there are no more news papers... Smile
Jeff

Well, perhaps one day I'll be willing to pay that, but this project is pretty low on my list at this point and $200 can buy me a lot of cool stuff for my van Wink
Gone but not forgotten:
71 Super Beetle - Gretel
92 Jetta GL - Jerry
97 Passat TDI - Penny
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, really I do...
Jeff
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work Jeff.

Bravo!

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: