Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix SVDA Ineffective Vacuum
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup almost doubled the reading on vacuum gauge, and smoothed it out completely. I am sure the anti pulse valve would be the same. If you installed a carb jet in line (between carb and dist) I can see how it would help, not sure if it would be as effective as valve. If one was to do this, I would think installing it closest to carbs would be the most effective. That way the vacuum line between jet and dist would act as a dampening chamber and reservoir for vacuum.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished rebuilding a SVA 205N and the tip of the nipple on the can has an insert that is the size of a small jet. The can on a 205T has the same size opening as a stock 034.
blacktruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ballpark size of that opening please?
sewing pin,toothpick maybe?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stuck a 65 jet gauge in there

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

edit: added pic

Last edited by AlteWagen on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
blacktruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Very Happy
welding tip by "seat of the pants"was OK
back to the dungeon/partspile
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your setup (essentially being a makeshift antipulse valve) doubled and smoothed the vacuum signal? I just want to be clear before I go drop money on something. This would be the closest anyone has come to having an answer to that question in the two months or so since it's been raised...

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E4ODnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good indicator of engine load is what is required to adjust timing for load, as opposed to strictly engine RPM. Manifold Absolute Pressure, or manifold vacuum (same thing, different points of reference) is a very good indicator of engine load for most relatively stock engines. High lift long duration camshafts as well as multiple venturis will increase low and mid range load MAP (decrease manifold vacuum), which makes it harder to indicate actual load. That's not to say it can't be done, it's just harder. If you are using a conventional vacuum pot advance mechanism, then you will have to use one that operates with less available vacuum, or better still, has some range of adjustment. These vacuum pots seem to be quite rare.

As far as the vacuum signal itself is concerned, every cylinder will create a vacuum signal. If you just tap into one intake runner the signal will be very jumpy just because the runner is only under vacuum for approximately 1/4 of the engine cycle. If you have a multi cylinder engine you can get a pretty good average by using a small plenum manifold and plumbing a signal into it from each cylinder. This has the effect of raising the average signal over the complete cycle and smoothing it out. Even with this it is often desirable to smooth it out even more. Typically a restrictive orifice is placed in the line to the vacuum gauge, pot or MAP sensor to dampen the signal. It does not amplify it, it just smooth's out the bumps, so to speak. Typically this orifice is ~ 0.030" but whatever works best is usually found by experimentation. Go too large and it's still jumpy, go to small and you loose amplitude and response time.

Vacuum pots are pretty crude critters, but they work very well when mated to an engine they are designed for. If you have a modified engine then your choices are limited. From my point of view the only practical option is to go electronic. For one, CB's "Black Box" should be the ticket if it works as advertised.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3141983

Here is one of the earlier posts about the welding tips or idle jets to act as an anti pulse valve.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre6000 wrote:
Your setup (essentially being a makeshift antipulse valve) doubled and smoothed the vacuum signal? I just want to be clear before I go drop money on something. This would be the closest anyone has come to having an answer to that question in the two months or so since it's been raised...

Spectre, if it doesn't work we take it back for a full refund. We don't charge "restocking fees" or "you bought it you own it" nonsense like a lot of other places.

The anti-pulse valve works far better than welding tips or carb jets, because it stores vacuum. As states in a dual 2bbl carb setup the strongest vacuum signal is present less than 25% of the time in a 4 stroke engine. Installing the valve nearest the carburetor provides the highest vacuum.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marbleknight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, just thought I would throw this in: I've been wanting one of these distributors for a while, and I too had an Amazon card. I got one the other day. Package arrived today and I immediately did a vacuum test on it after doing a visual inspection to see if the rubber wire grommet was interfering with the vacuum advance. There seems to be no interference there, well maybe just a smidge but certainly not enough to impact the function of the device. Anyone who's read my posts know I'm pic-mad so here are a few and then I'll show you the video of the vacuum test.

So that's the thing out of the box. Looks really sharp. After the visual inspection I hooked up a vacuum gauge to see where the advance starts to kick in and where it reaches max.

Link

So it looks to me like the advance just starts to move at between 3 and 4 inHg. It reaches full advance at about 9 inHg. Based on the vacuum readings I get from my carbs, I think that's pretty reasonable. I'll try to post a vid a little later on of how much the carb is pulling at mid to high RPM. The vacuum line is only attached to one so I may have to get the other one in on the action... Anyway, hope this helps. My 2 cents is y'all got a bad lot.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a new one of these distributors just sitting in the box waiting on my stroker build. I already took care of the grommet interference. Now that my new vacuum/pressure test gauge has arrived I'm going to have to dig out the distributor & check the advance. Cool
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marbleknight wrote:
My 2 cents is y'all got a bad lot.

Interesting... this prompted me to go look. I have one that I haven't broken the seal on the box yet, dated 1/10/2014....

I was waiting to see if there were more results, especially with the anti-pulse valve, before breaking the seal, and "buying it"...

1986 Doka Transporter, 14" Syncro w/dual lockers -- 60,000km Swedish firetruck...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682322

30+ VWs before them...
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marbleknight wrote:
So it looks to me like the advance just starts to move at between 3 and 4 inHg. It reaches full advance at about 9 inHg.

Based on this, your distributor is out of spec. Advance isn't supposed to start until 6 inHg (or whatever I posted from Pertronix a while back).

The photo of the grommet/plate isn't at such an angle that it can be discerned whether or not the grommet/plate interference issue is a problem with your distributor.

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
marbleknight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the idea of having a spec, but it doesn't mean a whole lot. Wouldn't you agree that each type of carb is going to pull a different vacuum at the same RPM? What if my carbs pull a much lighter vacuum overall? I'd rather have an "out of spec" advance that starts to kick in at 2000RPM or even less vs twice that much or not at all because the freaking pot is stiff and doesn't work worth a dam... Come to think of it I'd like to see other people do this same test to see if there really is a tenable 'spec' or if it's just something Pertronix pulled out of thin air. It took 5 minutes to set the test up and less than that to suck on a tube.

What matters in the end is 1. What vacuum the carb(s) pull over a given RPM range, and 2. How that matches up with pot mechanics, i.e. how much the advance moves at a given vacuum level. Having thought about it for a bit I think one must measure the ported vacuum level at various RPMs, document that curve, then measure the movement of the vacuum advance at various vacuum levels and document that curve. Then see how well those two curves coincide with one another. If they don't play nice with one another, you have work to do if you really want to tune the engine.
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spec is what Pertronix's supplier is supposed to be manufacturing parts to. If they don't meet these specs, each distributor will be wildly different (which pretty much seems to be the case), and it's not possible to produce predictable results with the part. That nit picking aside, you're right. What matters is the specific application, and if you get lucky and get a vacuum canister that is way out of spec on the low side and you're running a dual carb setup, you've won the Pertronix distributor lottery.

Otherwise, I'm hanging up the the towel on this endeavor. The most recent response from Pertronix was (and I'm paraphrasing only slightly), "Let me know how the anti-pulse valve works for you." This demonstrates to me that they're really not all that interested in making the product better. Combined with the fairly extreme deterioration in performance of my own unit over a very short period of time with very few miles (stiffening rather than loosening of the already too stiff vacuum canister and the dramatic increase in slop in the vacuum advance plate), I'm putting these distributors in the junk category. Buyer beware.

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what will you be using on the DD? Black box looks better everyday.
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to run it for now. It's essentially a shitty 009 as is, and they technically work. If it becomes an issue (and/or I can find the time), I'm pretty sure I have a zillion cores of varying sorts that I can cobble something together with. I work from home, so my commute is about 15 feet in my PJs. I drive it to the grocery store, meetings across town, errands, and nice drives in the mountains when the roads are nice.

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Vac signal... Reply with quote

Update:

Sorry for the wait...first bus day in awhile given I try to avoid driving her on less than what we have weather wise today here in Seattle area.

Anyhow...I threw my timing light on the bus after a good warm up and the timing check since my last when I put on the anti pulse valve appears to have changed slightly. After the install (2-3 months ago) of the valve a few hundred miles ago I set the timing at 28 full hose off plugged) and it would idle at 5. With the hose on it would show ~ 32-33 degrees (vac advance) at 3300-3400rpm's.

Today however the timing shows 6 at idle and 30 degrees full (hose off and plugged) Eh? . Only change since my prior check is the miles I've put on the bus. I'm also not seeing any vacuum advance. I confirmed the distributor is snug (not loose). Idles at ~ 900rpm's.

I reset the timing to 4 initial 28 full (hose off & plugged) and still do not see any vacuum advance. I even went as far as to remove the anti pulse from the line and the results are the same.

I'm now going to recheck and make sure that nothing is jamming up the vac can arm in the distributor...but I don't expect that to be an issue given I confirmed that it wasn't when I installed the distributor initially.

Stand by...
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Well I confirmed that the vac can armature is not jamming/hitting anything. I also hooked up a vacuum gauge to the Pertronix SVDA and the results are similar to what (Marbleknight) showed. Mine would start to move at 4inHg and top out at 10inHg...the plot thickens.

So at this point I'm leaning at the combined effect of the individual throats on the IDF with the performance cam (Web 73) makes for a quirky less than stellar signal. Enough so that one is likely to see little if any vacuum advance.

This is with the bus parked with little to no load on the engine. I have both carb vac ports T'd and then onto the distributor.

It does however at this point work and feels better than my 25+ year old German 009 that I plan on refurbishing the best i can and keep as a back up.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
57baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marbleknight wrote:

So it looks to me like the advance just starts to move at between 3 and 4 inHg. It reaches full advance at about 9 inHg. Based on the vacuum readings I get from my carbs, I think that's pretty reasonable.

57baja wrote:

I found that all three were starting to advance with about 3" Hg, and they varied when total advance was all in. All three were between 9" and 12" when "all in". Does that mean EVERY ONE is within spec? Definitely not. However, the three that I tested a few days ago were, as have been many others we've tested before.

udidwht wrote:

Well I confirmed that the vac can armature is not jamming/hitting anything. I also hooked up a vacuum gauge to the Pertronix SVDA and the results are similar to what (Marbleknight) showed. Mine would start to move at 4inHg and top out at 10inHg.

It appears that many of these distributors, at least the five that were tested by three different people, should work pretty well with many dual carb set ups, as well as with stock ones. As I said before, maybe we should think this through from a different angle. Maybe we should focus on modifying the specific carb set-ups to match distributors that currently are available. I know we modify our sets specifically to match these distributors. We have somewhat of an advantage, as Kadron carbs are pulling from two cylinders with one vacuum fitting. We advise folks with bigger cams that want to run them to run them with a tee to pull from both sides. This might be impractical with an IDF or similar set up, but perhaps there's a way to modify those particular carb styles. The anti-pulse valve idea seems to be a different approach that's working, as well.

Working with so many different cam, compression, head, displacement, and carb set ups, I think it would be impossible to make one single distributor work with every combo, which is why VW likely had so many different ones. Add the fact that a million different cam/head/compression/carb combos are in use today that VW never dreamed of! With that said, the Pertronix SVDA seems to be a pretty good starting point, and it's reasonably priced. It works, and works pretty well in my experience. It would be super nice if Pertronix made one like their billet one that was easy to change curves and stoppers on, only with some sort of adjustable vacuum canister.

That...

in my opinion...

would be the cat's ass!

Interesting thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: