Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fabric curtain vs gowesty's sun shade?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: fabric curtain vs gowesty's sun shade? Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_category.php?id=329

Has anyone replaced their fabric curtains with Gowesty's sunshade?
How do you feel about it? Do you get as much privacy feel from the sunshade as fabric curtains give?
oc2bc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving this thread to see if anyone is using the Eclipse sun shade from GoWesty. My wife and I aren't a big fan of the fabric curtains and were looking for an alternative. Any feedback?

Thanks!
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently just added a front one, love it! Gonna replace all my curtains with various sizes of the Sunshade, I like how they collapse and can be fully removable.

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife sewed up all new curtains except for the windshield one that was in good shape. The first night we camped in it, we closed it up snug as a bug. That was the last time. We are not very modest and if someone wants to watch us they are welcome to. We turn the light off when we change.

I do have a foil type windshield sunshield. They are very common in Florida and cost about $12. They are used to save the dash when parked in the hot sun. We will in a campground put that up. We have screens that fit the front door windows and like to have the air circulate. The go westy shields look very handsome and I have never been disappointed with anything I purchase from them.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your useage, the bus depot insulation kit might fit the bill. We leave the back 3 installed all the time. The only issues so far are the marks left from the suction cups and how dark the van gets. That can be a good thing, but it's also easy to sleep til 10 with no morning light.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmm...sleeping til 10 sounds like a good thing when you're in the woods planning to do nothing most of the day....

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the eclipse set and the bus depot insulation set. The sun shades are great because they open and close so easily, but they let a lot of light in and at least one of the cords that pulls the shade back into the housing has broken.

I regularly put up the insulation kit from bus depot and just leave it up. It blocks out all light, keeps the van cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, and there's pretty much nothing to break.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since I stealth camp a lot, I dont want my curtains to show, so I use limo tint to hide them.

one of the nice things about limo tint, is you can still see out but have privacy even without drawing the curtains.

for the front I use a black side out windshield screen, because it looks like its not there: (image shows both ways for contrast)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jtxr1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Gowesty's Eclipse Sun Shade Reply with quote

I just purchased and installed the Go Westy Eclipse Sun Shade (August 2012 Monthly Special for $33.96) I waned something that I could easily put up (or pull out in this case). They attach to the window with a mount and 3M adhesive pad. Very easy to install and I like that they retract. I mounted the driver's side and then went to the passenger side and realized that the upper mount has to be spaced away from the grab handle so you can still get your hand in the grab handle. So there is a larger gap (2" to 3") on the passenger side that is not covered by the shade. The disappointing part is that I have another grab handle that I wanted to add to the driver's side, but I've already attached the mounts too close to the pillar. I'll cross that bridge later, but something to consider when buying this shade. You can pop them out of the mount which is a small plastic bracket with the adhesive back by bending the shade in the middle. I'll provide further feedback after some use. My van is in the driveway and is constantly in the sun. I'm hoping to save the interior with the addition of the sun shade. I also had the windows tinted with a ceramic tint (I believe it was a 15% on the front windshield and side windows). A picture to follow. I've tinted the other windows darker and plan on using the cloth curtains for now.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Bringing Back the Thread Reply with quote

The truck-sized sun screen I've been using when I camp, or stealth-camp in Winston is wearing out, and it never fit well anyway. I have my front curtain, but it's tattered, and I'm pretty sure that some of Winston's original front snaps are gone. A new curtain and snaps might be one solution to my problem, but it does look-- 'campy.' In the 'camping sense.'

The idea of running a tracked curtain behind the front seats would appeal, except that I use the front seat a lot and the curtain would get in my face and probably rattle. Given my horrible experiences with the Velcro adhesive, I worry about the GoWesty screens and their adhesive mounts. Winston quite often gets above 100 degrees inside.

I like the idea of reversing the silver side of a windshield sun shade for stealth, but I need to reflect the heat... Yes, I'm swivering. But does anybody have a better idea for STEALTHILY masking the windshield? Also, what size of sunshade works best on our vans?

I might rig something with snaps and magnets for an inside foil curtain that was flush to the windshield... But, first, research!

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bringing Back the Thread Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
.... But does anybody have a better idea for STEALTHILY masking the windshield?

My take on the best "stealth" is to not mask the windshield at all, but have a patternless charcoal (dark) curtain behind the front seats. It becomes "invisible" even in daytime, unless one actually look for it. Works best in a gray interior van though.

You don't need hook and loop mounting, just bend a flat aluminum curtain rod to the shape of the roof, and attach on both sides. Then slip your curtain over the rod. That will block the light between curtain and the roof. Snaps on the sides.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: