Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine conversion: What pushed you over the edge?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdcage wrote:
Both of our vans have great running power plants. One is a gowesty 2.3 that runs flawlessly and the other is a Ticco gas that runs just as good.

Long ago I decided I wanted to upgrade to modern systems. even with the two of them running just fine as they are, we are still going to the 1.8t for one and a tdi for the other.

I have not had my van (syncro) too long, about a year and have enjoyed a few long road trips with the GW 2.3 thats in it, its got about 45k on it. But I havent felt apprehensive to take it on long trips. Besides the the fact that your going 50mph up passes and the not too impressive gas milage we have been happy with the 2.3 wbx. One thing that I have noticed, and this may be because its an upgraded WBX motor, is that there is not a huge different in speed and/or gas milage when the westy is empty or fully loaded. Even fully loaded, every cabinet full, stuff hangin off the side, it will still do 45-50 on the big passes. We have also been very happy with how it does off road. It may not be fast on the road but the torque is solid when geared low.

That being said though, as soon as we get to the state where the finances cause no or less guilt, or when the WBX starts having any big issues, we are doing the suby 2.5 swap. I think all its going to take is one of those long tows and ruined vacations to convince me, but until then we like the WBX!

-Keith
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: edge??? Reply with quote

I had an '85 Westy 1.9l wbx running well - BUT

No Brainer #1
wbx 85hp - slow on highway merges(eg) 16-18mpg (range about 260 miles) vs Subaru 2.5 SOHC - 165hp 22 - 25 mpg (range about 350+ miles) merges like any regular vehicle

No Brainer #2
wbx - as above - except this time a 2.1 - so 90hp (whoopee !!) vs VW AHU TDI
100 hp lots more torque and 30 mpg (range 450+ miles)

- swapped out the wbx 3 years ago for a 2.5 Suby - love it - putting an AHU into a ex military van (28K km total) - then hightopping it - gonna love it more!

No Brainer #3 - parts and service for the Suby and the AHU are widely and readily available and both engines are "dead nuts" reliable

It has been interesting to me to note the proportion of hightops that have gone onto engine converted vans. It seems that folks, once they have their vans repowered, reliable and begin taking longer more extensive trips, begin to tire of the gear all around them while underway - leading them to explore the world of hightops and the space and volume they provide.

Last edited by J Charlton on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just starting EJ25 conversion. If I push the one of the vans hard buzzer will come on afterwards. Oil pressure is still good but just under threshold after a hard push. To make it safe do I rebuild this one or replace it with a modern Subaru copy? Let's see... Very Happy
I do love the WBX though when it is fresh and tuned it acts like a slightly inadequate electric motor. Razz

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had test drove vanagons and I was very unimpressed with the power, or lack there of... but I was open to attitude adjustment on my part.

When I bought mine I got what I felt was a decent deal. I bought it with a swap in mind, but if I could adjust my way of thinking I would keep the motor. After a couple of weeks of driving I noticed the leaks were much more pronounced, and I could not get past the white knuckle feelings of merging into freeway traffic. That and the fact in the back of mind that I might actually have to live out of this van at some point (job life deteriorating at a fast clip) I would need this to be reliable more than anything... so I dropped huge cash at Stephan's (some say I am stupid but I have my reasons for going in this direction over others) to rebuild/replace a ton of stuff front to back... along with the 1.8T

Fast forward to today, the job is now gone and I am struggling to hang on, and my Gangrene Vanagon is not a worry on the mechanical side, just ugly as sin and I like it Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
badassdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
so without necessity or logic pushing me, all I have is the daydream of transplanting a modern powerful engine in my rig. something to make the people in the black range rovers X5's and hummers go wtf ?! from the sound of it...and maybe passing on the freeway.

Funny. That happens to me every time I drive it. Cool
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pushed me over the edge was finding time away from the office - - one week off work and the EG33 was in the Syncro. In other words, I was converting no matter what, since I need the speed!
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a Syncro with 2.2Subie power with intent to convert to pop top. Installed weekender interior, decided I needed more HP for Sierra Nevada travels and going to the in laws cabin in Crested Butte, CO ( 9200ft.) Found good deal on a low mileage 89 Westy with " burn job " engine conversion now running Weber DGV on WBX motor, bought Westy, bought donor Syncro, sold Subie Syncro, bought SAH 1.8T conversion kit. Sold WBX motor to Van Cafe traded mainly for rebuild parts, sold various parts off Donor Syncro and Westy. Bought 96K 1.8T motor....right after purchase a 600 mile 1.8T becomes avalible.....screw it! buy that thinking of the condition and cost of all hardware and accessories on a 1.8 T and how much they will cost to replenish. Sold 96K mile 1.8T and a bunch of great parts the SAH. Pull hardware off donor Syncro and sell it off for reasonable price. Sweet talk Samba member Gears into helping me rebuild 094 with best of parts and Gears expirience in adding state of the art oiling mods for 1.8T. Order WESS18T plates from DMV.....go to freaking DMV can't get plates without smog certificate....now have deadline to finish 1.8T swap or lose plates....almost there. I own one of the finest " salvage title " Westys on planet earth at the present time, Burley parts, Syncro conversion, Weddle gears, Peloquin diff, decoupler, 930 CVs...you name it its on there.....still under that $30K price a decent Syncro Westy would have run. I test drove a 2.3 Go Westy rig.....wasn't impressed at all, the EJ22 will destroy a 2.3WBX in any task....in fact I think a 2.3WBX will pretty much destroy itself over time. I should know pretty quick if all this was worth it, if 1.8T is slow, there is always the AWW block and ALH TDI crank down at my buddies shop to build a 2.1AWP or AEB motor........might break the $30K budget with that build.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
anything... so I dropped huge cash at Stephan's (some say I am stupid but I have my reasons for going in this direction over others) to rebuild/replace a ton of stuff front to back... along with the 1.8T

Negative, Rampart. You did the right thing.
These vehicles need a min of 150# torque. You're setting at ~170 and can have more.

Buy once. Cry once.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:
anything... so I dropped huge cash at Stephan's (some say I am stupid but I have my reasons for going in this direction over others) to rebuild/replace a ton of stuff front to back... along with the 1.8T

Negative, Rampart. You did the right thing.
These vehicles need a min of 150# torque. You're setting at ~170 and can have more.

Buy once. Cry once.

Thanks Regis... Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Westy with 180K or so "unknown miles." I assumed at some point I'd need a new engine, and decided long before I did it, that when the time came I'd do a Bostig. I plan to hold on to this van and do significant traveling over the next many years.

Approaching the edge?
2.1 working hard and noisy at higher revs
Flashing oil pressure light and buzzer going up steep hills in 3rd
Inability to normally use A/C (I live in Vegas)with my 2.1
Desire for better mileage (I was getting 15-17 on the highway at 55-60mph)
Drips of coolant under the engine (minor)

The edge?
After a problem free 1000 mi trip, decided to do a tune up as a reward to the bus. Removing the pugs, one turned and turned and turned (stripped). I went to a local shop to get a helicoil.

In the process, some carbon was dislodged, caught in the rings and locked the engine. They pulled heads and found more fun stuff. I was looking at new heads at a minimum, and I had no real knowledge of the engine condition when I bought it.

Decided to put my money towards a new engine. All my "Approaching the Edge" issues have been resolved. (BTW, now get 20-22mpg at 68-73mph)

Jed
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'reputable' shop did a poor rebuild on 2.1 and I was just tired of all the little issues anyway. It felt pretty good to remove all the old harnes, ECU, etc. along with the boxer when I did the Bostig thing.
It is super reliable, doesn't mark it's territory and has quite adequate power.
By adequate I mean, I still have the same relative shift points but no longer downshift for those long hills; 55 vs 35. I can goose it when I want to or need to with that reserve power.
Like others, I no longer even check the oil level, coolant very often or carry spare parts. Any Autozone will have what I probably (don't) need.
In the long run, $6500 bucks +/- was not too much to get my 30 year old ride very healthy and worry free. No regret.
seabright_sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my van in 2004 with. Recent rebuild and lots of items replaced in the engine compartment at time. After some tinkering and replacing a few more items, my 2.1 digijet 1985 westy had proved to be extremely reliable. We driveon average about 4-5k miles per year, mostly family vacations.

Going back in time if I were looking at a rebuild and all the other bits and pieces that were needed to make a 20 year van reliable I might have considered a conversion.

But a well maintained stock engine has proven the test of time. Problems that people constantly bring up regarding to stock engines are primarily due to neglected maintance and 20-3o year old parts, not inherent design flaws. And without airbags I don't really want to cruise faster than 60mph in any vehicle. A little more power up grades would be nice, but unless I live in the Sierra or Rockies it's a non-issue. For the 5% of driving up grades that I do, I simply down shift to third and enjoy the ride. It is, after all,a vanagon Very Happy .
Goldie86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my full camper westy it had about 130k miles on it. It was pretty much bone stock, but in very good/great condition. As predicted around 150k miles or so, the minor oil/coolant leak was turning into a steady drip.

It wasn't hard to decide between a rebuild or a conversion. The 2.5 subie cost me over $3500 more than what I paid for the van, but it's like having a completely different vehicle with horsepower getting over hills and mountain passes. Easy decision and one I hope to enjoy for many years and miles.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabright_sc wrote:
I bought my van in 2004 with. Recent rebuild and lots of items replaced in the engine compartment at time. After some tinkering and replacing a few more items, my 2.1 digijet 1985 westy had proved to be extremely reliable. We driveon average about 4-5k miles per year, mostly family vacations.

Going back in time if I were looking at a rebuild and all the other bits and pieces that were needed to make a 20 year van reliable I might have considered a conversion.

But a well maintained stock engine has proven the test of time. Problems that people constantly bring up regarding to stock engines are primarily due to neglected maintance and 20-3o year old parts, not inherent design flaws. And without airbags I don't really want to cruise faster than 60mph in any vehicle. A little more power up grades would be nice, but unless I live in the Sierra or Rockies it's a non-issue. For the 5% of driving up grades that I do, I simply down shift to third and enjoy the ride. It is, after all,a vanagon Very Happy .

Well then you haven't been pushed over the edge to do a conversion so this thread does not apply to you... but I do get the insecure feelings of needing to tell us how you enjoy going only 60MPH and are happy with that Wink Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked out of Safeway one Friday morning in January 2006 and there was coolant all over the ground. I had done the seals before on an earlier Vanagon and didn't want to go through all of that work for the same wheezy 1.9. Plus, I bought this Vanagon knowing that I was going to change the engine once this one quit, either to a 2.1 or something else.

I had discovered Brent's site a few months prior and really started reading up on his and Tom's work and had joined the yahoo subaru vanagon group. I was sold on the Subie 2.2.

The first thing I did was bought a '93 Corollla from my mother-in-law for daily driving, then started sourcing parts and learning everything I could. It took me about three months of nights and weekends, mainly waiting on stuff to arrive. I had my troubles, but eight years and 60k miles later, I have absolutely no regrets about the conversion. I've basically rebuilt the entire van (transmission, suspension, electrical, interior, etc.) around that same engine over the years.

So I guess I had a prior idea that a change was coming, so when the seals gave out, I went for it.

ETA: Argument avoidance: I'm sure a built-up 2.1 would have done a nice job as well. I just chose a different route because it seemed like a fun idea, and it was.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MSmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our first two years of ownership, my 1984 Westy's reliability batting average on trips was right around 50%, despite only showing 75k on the odometer and extensive service records from the PO. Although I try to make life as "stress-free" as possible, getting away keeps me sane and for my family this did not include worrying about an unreliable vacation vehicle.

Did a Bostig Turnkey in 2011 and haven't had a issue since. Even fully loaded and with an auto I am now faster than the 18 wheelers in the truck lane, a safety bonus.

You can't put a dollar figure on peace of mind.
1979 Land Rover Series III 109 Safari
2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Magnum
2004 Range Rover HSE (latest project... looking for a motor!)
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since the wbox is a sort of flat engine, it could clean up and take a 3/4" slab of glass and it would make a great coffee table
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: wbx use Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:
since the wbox is a sort of flat engine, it could clean up and take a 3/4" slab of glass and it would make a great coffee table

Good one!! Its not quite heavy enough to make a good dock anchor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:

Maybe like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first westy, we purchased locally when we were without kids. The engine had a head gasket leak that forced us to upgrade following a few trips to the mechanic costing over a couple thousand in trying to put band-aid over it. During that time, Gowesty was still doing installs so I drove it down there for a 2.3, rebuilt tranny and few upgrades.

I seem to recall and likely won't forget, the intermittent feeling between panic and freedom while we drove miles from home over the Sierras. The worried feeling between the silence and the music where your juevos travel upward into the lower abdomen at every shake, hick-up and temporary loss of power while driving a upper elevation 2 lane highway with no shoulder.

A few years ago, I lost my senses and got the syncro envy bug. Sold my westy to buy a very clean orly blue syncro westy that I had visions driving through the desert or through deep snow. 2 kids later, lack of snow over the last few years, the syncro has lost it's glory. On our way to Tahoe recently, we were driving over Carson pass when a bay window 78-79 westy blew buy us like we were standing still. I didn't fret too much because with the window rolled down mid-way, the brisk head wind and the music playing load enough, I couldn't hear my wife snickering in the back seat with my son. Lately, I have been thinking about those earlier feelings about breaking down and now with two kids and in some situations with no cell phone coverage, I think the smart move is for another upgrade with something with more power and less problems. A significant obstacle is NV smog-emissions standards limits my options. I'm leaning towards the 1.8t installed by Stephan, but I need to confirm NV will accept and smog such a conversion. I intend to hang on to syncro for a long time, so the rationalization of the costs of this upgrade has settled into my spine and the apprehensive wife is considering her options for a new car. Go figure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: