Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many air cooled owners do we have?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onemat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this thread has taken off. Should I change the title to "Air Cooled Vanagon Owners"? jimreg, I enjoyed your pictures. The picture with the bus loaded inside is convincing me I might want to add a roof rack.
Question: How many of you have EGR sensor connected to their exhaust. My '82 came from Ohio and has part of a pipe that was supposed to connect to an EGR sensor on the exhaust, I think before the CAT. I've been told I am supposed to have it, but I'm really not sure.
Matt
jalopyjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny you should ask about egr...that is the reason i am putting in the wi/meth....i have been watching chts on several engines and there is definitely heat buildup on cylinder 1 (every engine ive torn down has had seat issues on that cylinder as well)...all these engines have had no egr...if you look inside the plenum the egr mounts to a pipe that routes the gases to cylinders 1 and 3 (sorta)....i got curious one day and tested hypothesis that vw was trying to compensate for cooling of the 1/2 bank...and sure enough the little egr tubes did favor that side, specifically #1....so while the egr may result in a loss of power i think it may be wise to leave it in place to maintain even head temperatures
Odd_Dutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one, until I converted to Subaru. I loved the simplicity and sound of that engine, but after one big roadtrip trough France, Spain and Portugal I couldn't see me doing that again without a major power upgrade.

I love projects so as soon i got home after 3 months on the road the engine got out and replaced it with a nice 2L Subaru.

In the near future I'd like to have a bug for short trips and daily commuting Cool

Big thumps up for all the owners keeping they're a/c running Cool
onemat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wrote:
funny you should ask about egr...that is the reason i am putting in the wi/meth....i have been watching chts on several engines and there is definitely heat buildup on cylinder 1 (every engine ive torn down has had seat issues on that cylinder as well)...all these engines have had no egr...if you look inside the plenum the egr mounts to a pipe that routes the gases to cylinders 1 and 3 (sorta)....i got curious one day and tested hypothesis that vw was trying to compensate for cooling of the 1/2 bank...and sure enough the little egr tubes did favor that side, specifically #1....so while the egr may result in a loss of power i think it may be wise to leave it in place to maintain even head temperatures

When I got mine it had the upper EGR pipe that connects to a fitting on the left side of the ingine bay. I have since found the lower one, a nut to go into the exhause and a new EGR valve. I just haven't connected it yet.
jalopyjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet, my suggestion would be to connect it all up but using a collector style exhaust...would require minimal fab work a muffler shop could easily do and would breathe better than the factory crossover crap

wi/meth would be similar to egr in that it would allow higher afrs while also removing heat from the head and reducing the octane requirement (im pushing a cr of 9:1)...hoping to save gas and my heads at the same time...like egr but with something thats not "inert"...plus you get the benefit of cleaner combustion

Last edited by jalopyjockey on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
WestyJP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not running an EGR system and haven't on previous air coolers. I wonder if there isn't something to the cooling effect it might have.

Beautiful exhaust system there RMW. If I go back to a running a cat I'll be giving you a call. My current setup is a set of spacers and a muffler from a bay that simplifies the plumbing a lot. No cat though and the EGR connection is in a different spot but it's worked great for about 80k miles so far.
ewalt98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still running the EGR. Everything is pretty much stock on mine.
It is a fairly simple system, but one must make sure that it is in good shape. Any air leaks will allow atmospheric air into the system, which leans out the AF mixture, which equals a hot running engine.
Also, the valve tends to get carbon build up, which blocks the exhaust gasses from getting into the intake.
Mine was completely blocked when I bought the van, which was a good thing since the pipe connecting to the exhaust was completely broken off, though maybe the O2 sensor would pick that up, and adjust the fuel metering???

Hey RMW, is that a federal only system, or will it work for California systems with the different EGR and 02 sensors?
72 GT6
88 F350
03 F150
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewalt98 wrote:

Hey RMW, is that a federal only system, or will it work for California systems with the different EGR and 02 sensors?

I don't think it will work on the California setup because the heater boxes are different. The Cat Conv can be supplied with a o2 sensor bung though.

Thanks, Mike
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add VanWilder and MightyArt to the list. I have owned 3 AC Vanagon Westfalia's and will confirm the lack of heat, though, with the heater boxes properly insulated and all components working correctly, there was usually enough heat present to defrost the front windshield after about 20 minutes on a really cold morning....the inside temp though was a deal breaker for my wife who has really bad circulation. When I would commute in mine in the winter, I would pre-prime the interior by running the stove for a few minutes and sometimes run a small space heater to get the windows clear. Loved the Jazzy fabric on my 2 1980 Westfalia's. That fabric is awesome!
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: I have one Reply with quote

I have a 1980 that is currently being overhauled. Gutted interior , repaired cabinets, painted cabinets,sound deadner throughout, engine is out and Ray Valleros has it and doing a compete machine job. Cannot wait to get it back and start the reassembly. I have put bamboo floors in, recaimed recaros in the two front spots, getting new foam for the r/r bed. I need to rewire the speedo and clock lights, so trying to source wired sockets for the lights.I have some photos but all still in work.
Matt G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in too.
EGR not hooked up, PO removed it.
With the exhaust back to stock, I've thought about re-installing it.

Many thanks to RMW for reproducing the exhaust - that's nice!
'71 Bus

Last edited by Matt G on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I have one Reply with quote

GCHRISTENSEN wrote:
I have a 1980 that is currently being overhauled. Gutted interior , repaired cabinets, painted cabinets,sound deadner throughout, engine is out and Ray Valleros has it and doing a compete machine job. Cannot wait to get it back and start the reassembly. I have put bamboo floors in, recaimed recaros in the two front spots, getting new foam for the r/r bed. I need to rewire the speedo and clock lights, so trying to source wired sockets for the lights.I have some photos but all still in work.

Not trying to hijack the thread... But do you have any pictures or info about installing your Recarros? What are they from?
Jeff
1990 Vanagon weekender Syncro AAZ
1987 Syncro Doka AAZ...soon to be TDI Smile
2014 DL650ABS Xpedition
1986 Weekender Syncro (Under construction)
1987 Westfalia (Under construction)
1987 Syncro Single cab
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! I have a 1980 Westy with a rebuilt stock engine..always been an ACVW driver. I think just like the AC soundtrack while I'm driving...
even before the rebuild...
Tac-Tac-Tac-Tac...VRrrrrrrrUUUUUUmmmmmBlubady-Blub-Blub...Tac-Tac-Tac-Tac.
Currently driving:
1980 Westy Westfalia Poptop (a total stock-look rebuild with all my favorite camping mods) Applause
1967 Sunroof Beetle (a Cali-Sleeper...) Cool
And now, a moment of silence, please:
1978 Westy Campmobile (the "EM50 Urban Assault Vehicle" code named "The Pickle" drove me and my US Army family and friends all over Germany for 6 years...sadly, she's gone over the hill and now listed as MIA...) :snipersmile:
1973 Squareback (sold on a lark..) Brick wall
1973 Super Beetle (crashed..walked away without a scratch) Pray
1972 Standard Beetle (lost in a relationship..) Rolling Eyes
1966 Beetle (the Black Beauty..my Dad's) Wink
1964 Beetle (the Beige Bug..my beginning beater, also my Dad's Surprised
Thanks, Dad. Applause
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1980 owner since 2003. Cant believe its been that long.

I've thought about plumbing it and putting in a 1.8t in but part of me thinks I'll regret it. Plus, I want a 914 really bad and like how their engines are similar.

I only drive it in the summer now and was just out in the garage earlier thinking about painting the steels again or getting some 5 spoke BRM replicas.
moogster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been living with a 1980 2ltr aircooled westy joker since 2006 running on dual fuel (lpg/petrol) its the first modern vw ive owned since driving aircooled vws since 1986 when i passed my driving test.

Paul
ktr-sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just bought an '81 Westy in San Antone, drove it out the 30 or so miles north to my little hacienda in the Hill Country. Starting grinning about 15 miles out and now it brings a smile to my face whenever I pull into the driveway and see it parked out front. Long, long history of VWs, former VW tech, and looking forward to keeping this one for a long, long time. A little rust around the windows, nothing through-and-through that I can see, but I have no illusions. Not going to be a show car, just a member of the family.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
onemat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I drove mine from Southern Georgia to just north of Nashville 15 months ago and I was grinning all the way too.
kerrvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ktr-sb wrote:

Just bought an '81 Westy in San Antone

Hey congrats! She looks just like our Daisy. We had the rust around the windows too. We ended up removing all the windows and replacing all the rubber after fixing the rust.

Also...I'm not running the EGR valve. The one I got was completely buggered so I left it off.
t'sunamibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in Cool
Still really enjoying my '82 Westy
Mark

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=577966&highlight=greetings+edge
Momentai Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

81 Westy owner, present and accounted for! She's currently hibernating in the carport until snow and mud season passes-- which means May (maybe) in VT! I've stripped the camper interior and prepped for some body repairs to the typical drivers side rocker rust (behind the fridge/ water tank)... otherwise super dry and solid!
88 Syncro Doka
88 Syncro Westy
86 944 Turbo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: