Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ah the old 82 Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Ah the old 82 Westy Reply with quote

Have not posted in quite a while but have been checking in somewhat regularly. Have a trip planned to drive to Tucson AZ from Cleveland OH in a few weeks and am debating whether or not to take the Westy or my 07 Toyota Tacoma.

Common sense is obvious here, but my sense of adventure dictates otherwise. Only have 8K on the rebuild and the old fella runs pretty good, however in the back of my mind I keep seeing us on the side of the road somewhere in BFE waiting for a tow truck......

I remember when I bought the Westy, it was for making trips such as these, and now that I have the opportunity I am hesitant to to do it...

Maybe if I was retired and time was not as critical I would feel differently.

Regardless, anyone else ever had this sort of dilemma? Just curious Smile

Have a fine day everyone!
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) Triple A Plus, Motor Home style.
(2) Leave yourself some extra time. If you don't need it to handle unexpected problems, then you can use it for fun and relaxation.
(3) It's an old Westy. Of course you might have problems. But of course you might not. That's part of the charm, right?
(4) Keep in touch. You have lots of friends right here. Let us know how it goes!
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the AAA would not leave home without it. Don't have the luxury of time so that kills it.

I was tired yesterday when I started this thread. You can all disregard these blatherings of an old man...and move on to more productive topics as one reply set me straight
Thanks
1979 Yamaha DT 175
1995 Toyota 4Runner
jalopyjockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shake it down...flog that thing as a daily driver to build your confidence for next couple weeks leading into the trip...at 8k that engine is just finding its legs and getting stronger (unless its a gex or avp pile, but you would know that engines crap already by the 10mpg you would be getting)

i was moving once when i first got mine, unknown engine/tranny condition, fully loaded down with all my crap, and poor....lost compression on cylinder 1 (dropped seat)....and it still got me where i was goin 500miles later on 3 cylinders....

thats not a trip like you plan but on another engine i threw in there real quick like the rings 'welded' themselves to the piston (again cylinder 1)...sounded horrible (like a piston in upside down or broken skirt/excessive slap) and at the time couldnt figure out what was wrong....still got me home 1500miles later

any vehicle can break but vanagons do it with style and then get you home (or are your home while you scratch your head Rolling Eyes )

...the unexpected happens, even in toyotas
malagato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it....i have a 82 westy, with a rebuilt, oh, about 4500 on it now plus some time making greasy things greasy again (bearings and cv's) and I plan on driving from oregon to florida soon...I concur, drive around a bunch before leaving and get to "know" it and you'll be fine.
shoot we wouldnt have given it a second thought 30 years ago...
reminds me of a friend of mine with an old harley...everytime we'd leave for a longish trip we'd hit the freeway right out of town, its a long uphill climb and he'd just flog it, tach it out and fly up that hill, he said if it was gonna break it would have done so right there...now we can travel without worry...
yeah, just do it, it'll be fun...
psst but now that i have money I dont ever forget my triple A RV preferred card....but the only time I've called AAA was when my BMW 525 died...(fuel pump)...
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that dilema before taking our new-to-us '82 Westy on a 5000 mile trip this past summer (and mind you ours still has its original, non-rebuilt engine). Turns out we needn't have worried as we had zero problems.

+1 on driving it a bit beforehand too. I take ours in to work every couple weeks if we haven't camped and it helps build confidence (plus I think he likes it).

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: