Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quitting smoking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading all this, I thank God I never started this nasty habit.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to the inspiration offered in here i bought an eCig instead of tobacco today.
my next birthday will be 20 years smoking for me.
more than half my life Shocked

baby steps...we'll see how it works out.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
thanks to the inspiration offered in here i bought an eCig instead of tobacco today.
my next birthday will be 20 years smoking for me.
more than half my life Shocked

baby steps...we'll see how it works out.

You CAN quit. If you're really ready to stop, stop. Don't cheat, don't look back, just be the person you're going to be without cigarettes. Look forward to smelling things, tasting things, not smelling, getting over illness faster, saving money, not having to go outdoors to smoke, not ruining your car interior, etc, etc, etc. You're going to be VERY, VERY glad you quit, and will be amazed at how ridiculous it was to ever start.
BG Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well todays the day.I just took my last pack ran em under the sink and tossed em.I think 35 years is long enough.I gave my wife my cash and debit card so I wont be able to go buy more.IM gonna do what I gotta do. I got a couple of e-cigs that im saving for when I go to work tonight just in case cuz my job can get kinda long and boring and im usally gone for a day and a half to two days .Just gonna try and stay busy ,keep my mind off of it and get this past me.
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BG Brian wrote:
Well todays the day.I just took my last pack ran em under the sink and tossed em.I think 35 years is long enough.I gave my wife my cash and debit card so I wont be able to go buy more.IM gonna do what I gotta do. I got a couple of e-cigs that im saving for when I go to work tonight just in case cuz my job can get kinda long and boring and im usally gone for a day and a half to two days .Just gonna try and stay busy ,keep my mind off of it and get this past me.

You will get past them.
I smoked for 30 years and quit cold turkey March of 2004.
Haven't picked one up since..........good luck.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JayO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I’m trying to quit again, after smoking for more years than I can even count.

Quit once before when my wife was pregnant with our first child.
I stayed off them for a few years but fell back into it, during a stressful time in my life, when my Mother passed away.

Last time I tried the patch and drugs, but they just made me fidgety and generally miserable so I went cold turkey and it worked for a time (3 or 4 years IIRC).

Stopped cold turkey on Tuesday morning, and held off the last few days, thought I was doing good but caved in and had one tonight.
Damn it’s hard, I feel bad that I caved and had one tonight, but tomorrow I’ll be back at it.

I kicked a pretty bad coke and weed habit back in the 80’s that was messing up my life, got through that and straightened my life out.

That was really tough, and I smoked cigarettes all the way through that, never thinking that the smokes would be tougher to kick than the other stuff.

Wow, who knew ? Shocked

Well tomorrow the fight continues, here’s to hoping I can hang in there.

- Jay
JBall8019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayo, I wish you success! I have reduced my smoking to the point where I am light headed every morning now. I just need to learn to how to drink Jameson's without smoking to make a serious effort in quitting tobacco......................................!
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 years for me this past Tuesday.
I figured I've saved about $14500 since then not to mention the other obvious benefits.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lobotomy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I never started smoking tobacco.

Just weed. Gonna get a vaporizer though. Smoke's getting too harsh, though it wouldn't be as bad as if I had taken up the t'baccy instead.
1958 Honda c-100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every smoker quits.

The goal, is to do it before it takes your life. Shocked
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad is 71, smoked for 40+ years. They just did a surgery to regain the blood flow back to his legs(he had no pulse in either foot). I guess the crystalline nature of the nicotine abraids the inside of the arteries, your body tries to repair the damage by sending cholesterol to the site. Over time, even with a good diet, you can clog arteries. Dad is lucky to have legs.

Quit nicotine. My wife and I quit cold turkey together almost 13 years ago, it's totally doable.
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30+ plus years for me. It's one of the hardest habits in the world to kick and I haven't been successful yet. The e-cigs work great for me... still have the addiction but the vapor is much better for your lungs than the smoke.

Best of luck to all those trying.

edit: / much better ... not as bad

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say enjoy....smoke up all you want. You are not supposed to leave this earth w/ a healthy body. Laughing

When you buy that many cigars or other tobacco products, it is good for the economy. Everybody makes money...from the seller to the hospital to the mortuary.

I get a kick when i ask a patient if they have ever smoked or when last or if they have quit and when. A lot of them have "quit smoking" the day of hospital admission.

It is your body after all. Do as you wish w/ it.

I look at it as job security when people smoke. Tobacco is a giant industry. I cannot imagine a society without it. WE will probably be dying to our 105th birthday if nobody smoked. That will be aweful to think about. Laughing
Behemoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
The 1st 5 weeks I did the 4mg cappuchino lozenges which came out to 8 dollars a week, that's less than 1 days cigs per week. I just started my second box of them and they're the 2mg. I'll probably be off these in the next month or so but at $1 a day I'm not fretting the cost.

I've had the carpet cleaned, painted the living room a bright white, took the blinds down and put up new curtains, and replaced the furniture so there's no cig smell anywhere there. But I needed to do those things anyway.

Well that didn't work out too good. Rolling Eyes I smoked up until about 2 months ago when I read Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" and have been a non-smoker since. Very Happy The cool thing about the book is he tells you at the very beginning that you should smoke while reading the book all the way to the end. I did and I smoked my last cigarette while reading the last few pages. I put a pack and a half of Marlboro lights in the trash with all my ashtrays and lighters and put them outside, went to bed, and haven't had a smoke since.
It sounds like cold turkey but it's not. Cold turkey is a state of mind of depriving yourself of something you want and by the time you finish the book you will realize you don't want to smoke so there's no deprivation. It's really cool to be a smoker, sleep a night and wake up a non-smoker with no withdrawal pangs.
I now eat a high protein diet, have lost 25 lbs, feel great, and am cutting out most of the medications I've been on for years. It's like $14 in paperback, the best money you'll ever spend if you want to become a non-smoker. Good luck everyone.
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
Behemoth wrote:
The 1st 5 weeks I did the 4mg cappuchino lozenges which came out to 8 dollars a week, that's less than 1 days cigs per week. I just started my second box of them and they're the 2mg. I'll probably be off these in the next month or so but at $1 a day I'm not fretting the cost.

I've had the carpet cleaned, painted the living room a bright white, took the blinds down and put up new curtains, and replaced the furniture so there's no cig smell anywhere there. But I needed to do those things anyway.

Well that didn't work out too good. Rolling Eyes I smoked up until about 2 months ago when I read Allen Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" and have been a non-smoker since. Very Happy The cool thing about the book is he tells you at the very beginning that you should smoke while reading the book all the way to the end. I did and I smoked my last cigarette while reading the last few pages. I put a pack and a half of Marlboro lights in the trash with all my ashtrays and lighters and put them outside, went to bed, and haven't had a smoke since.
It sounds like cold turkey but it's not. Cold turkey is a state of mind of depriving yourself of something you want and by the time you finish the book you will realize you don't want to smoke so there's no deprivation. It's really cool to be a smoker, sleep a night and wake up a non-smoker with no withdrawal pangs.
I now eat a high protein diet, have lost 25 lbs, feel great, and am cutting out most of the medications I've been on for years. It's like $14 in paperback, the best money you'll ever spend if you want to become a non-smoker. Good luck everyone.

I quit over a year after reading that very book. It was gifted to me by a Samba member I've never met named Lorse. Cold turkey, no evilness or cravings or jonesing.
The subliminal QUIT SMOKING YOU DON'T NEED IT message is retained long after you put the book down and go buy another pack of smokes. it works, even if you don't want it to it seems.
Thanks Lorse! Very Happy

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
Lobotomy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cycle of patches and e-cig, or maybe gum, would be ideal.

Nicotine itself isn't too horrible for you, and it isn't what causes cancer in smoking and chewing, it's the fact that you're smoking a nightshade. It increases dopamine receptor density, raising your overall, semipermanent motivational baseline by extension. It also releases the chemicals dopamine, serotonin, and acetylcholine, the latter of which is responsible for memory, the middle responsible for calmness, and the first, motivation.

Combined with exercise, hygiene and a proper diet, alternative methods of nicotine administration can be okay for you.
1958 Honda c-100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
Every smoker quits.

The goal, is to do it before it takes your life. Shocked

I'm sorry to interrupt, but Gurn Blanston is the most fake name I've ever heard.

I have to give up cigs too. Soon.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Well it seems Gurn has not posted anything here in two years, maybe the cigs killed him. Right now a good friend of mine is in the hospital. He's had bladder cancer which was smoking related, he is diabetic, just had double bypass surgery and his kidneys have shut down. He begins dialysis today for the rest of whatever life he has. All of this is smoking related as the doctors have told him. He can no longer smoke now and is miserable. If ever there was a poster boy for what gigs can do for you he is it. We don't know how long he will linger on but quality of life has gone away. Personally I don't see many people smoking any more, those that can have already quit.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Just want to say that quitting sucks. You need to, but it sucks.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero419 wrote:
Quit 5-6 months ago
Marlboro Red
16-36 20 years.

I did it with this. Never even craved them after I was done reading.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf
Lots of people I know have.

I've been telling my wife for 20+ years that I was 'hooked' so bad I could never quit & I wasn't just saying that! Wifey bought patches/gum etc but I never stuck with them. I bought this book myself and finally quit 'cold turkey' 31 months ago and have totally shocked my friends & family by quitting! Very Happy
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 24

Jump to: