Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 Squareback called Patches - Sea Sand L568 - Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my epic cruise today through the switchbacks of the santa cruz mountains I will never ever go back to 15" wheels again.. all you guys out there who think 17" wheels make the ride worse or look silly are on one.. the handling has improved so much I honestly feel like im driving an audi. Still bumpy but not even close to how unstable and bumpy the car felt with 15 inch wheels. I have had 15s with 195s and 205s out back but the car still felt all over the road. The 205/40/17 fronts and 215/45/17 rears grab the road and I can take corners so fast.. plus im running those cheap summuto hzr II tires..I can only imagine what some pilots would feel like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saying its 2014 not 1994 anymore guys..
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also to be in the present and rock wider tires like 215s you gotta roll the fenders a tiny bit..

Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those wheels look awesome. I'm looking at the BRM 4x130's but not sure I like them as much as the 5's...maybe Cosmos will fit my build since I'm not doing any conversion to 5 lug. In any case I agree it's about making the car the way you want it, and yours looks great mate!
1968 Mercedes 230 "Heckflosse"
1970 Type 3 Fastback 1600 TA L60D
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmos look sick. I saw a render of someone who said they were going to mod the cosmos so they look more open. Basically getting rid of the round holes between the spokes.. looked sweet
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Squareback called Patches - Sea Sand L568 - Build Thr Reply with quote

So I'm going to do a brief update of patches.. she truely is a real patch work car now.. I did a burn out in front of some girls I thought were hot and lost control like an idiot and smashed the front end into a meter.. luckily I was able to get her home and save her from being a parts car.. I had to replace the front clip and the passenger fender. The whole process took me over a year to get her back.. now she is better than before with a new paint job inside and out with all new rubbers. I've spent the last few days redoing the entire wiring harness from ISP, and other little odds n ends.. here are a few more pics to check out.. I'll throw up the process photos at some point..

Before wiring harness

After (99% complete just need the fuse box speed nuts)

Me and Jason racing on twin peaks raceway in SF

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Squareback called Patches - Sea Sand L568 - Build Thr Reply with quote

tim3 wrote:
I did a burn out in front of some girls I thought were hot and lost control like an idiot and smashed the front end into a meter.. luckily I was able to get her home and save her from being a parts car.. I had to replace the front clip and the passenger fender. The whole process took me over a year to get her back..

I laughed but that seriously sucks. Good you got it all fixed now
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibldrc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Squareback called Patches - Sea Sand L568 - Build Thr Reply with quote

tim3 wrote:

So I'm going to do a brief update of patches.. she truely is a real patch work car now.. I did a burn out in front of some girls I thought were hot and lost control like an idiot and smashed the front end into a meter.. luckily I was able to get her home and save her from being a parts car.. I had to replace the front clip and the passenger fender. The whole process took me over a year to get her back.. now she is better than before with a new paint job inside and out with all new rubbers. I've spent the last few days redoing the entire wiring harness from ISP, and other little odds n ends.. here are a few more pics to check out.. I'll throw up the process photos at some point..

Sorry to hear. I did that back in my twenties, but in front of all my co-workers, not girls! When I was all sideways I went for the brakes real hard, and my foot slipped back on the go pedal.
I hit a retaining wall at the waters edge head on. It took about a half hour of cooling down the adrenaline to realize the windshield was gone. It had popped out in one piece and was laying on the ground in the water!

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting is because I saw what appeared to be a great shape front bumper in the want ads last night, and on the left coast. Take a look if you need it!
'67 Squareback

2003 Jetta "Variant" TDI
2008 Passat Wagon 2.0

1500 Build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7904818&highlight=#7904818
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Squareback called Patches - Sea Sand L568 - Build Thr Reply with quote

Yeah the used bumper I got has some damage.. bumpers rust pretty fast in San Francisco so I usually don't try to get really clean bumpers anyways.. I'll take a look though.. and yes this totally was a moment where I lacked critical thinking.. it was like prison so I feel like I learned my lesson.. lol
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Squareback called Patches - Sea Sand L568 - Build Thr Reply with quote

tim3 wrote:
Yeah the used bumper I got has some damage.. bumpers rust pretty fast in San Francisco so I usually don't try to get really clean bumpers anyways.

You might want to look into the new T-3 stainless steel bumpers then. That was what I was going to do this past summer, but cash got short.

By the way, the car looks really good.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: