Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear brake grind
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: rear brake grind Reply with quote

I have had a grinding noise from the right rear brake. I believe it is from the neighbors automatic lawn sprinklers which watered that side of the vehicle as well as their lawn. That has caused the drum to rust. The noise decreases after use of the brakes. It took me a couple of days to source the problem and I've changed my parking place. I've put about 1000 miles on the highway. But I can still hear some noise from that drum, but not nearly as loud and bad as when it was getting watered. Maybe I've become sensitive but I still hear a bit of noise. I looked at the inspection hole and there seems to be plenty of lining.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm a bit reluctant to pull the drum for lack of tools and am considering going to Bela in Burbank for an inspection. In the meantime I plan on driving in town as if there was no problem.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty easy to just check the brake innards

Remove rear axle cotter pin
46mm socket and 4' cheater bar.
Have someone hold the brake pedal down while you grunt the 350# torqued axle nut off.
Block the front tires.
Jack up the rear.
Remove the axle nut all the way and grab the tire, rim, drum, hub all at once and slide off.
All your brake parts will be visible to you along with your outer grease seal on the bearing carrier.

Self inspection can lead to a good nights sleep Cool

Reverse the process and calc your weight and distance on the cheater to get close to 350# torque on the nut. Or find someone with a really expensive torque wrench to check it for you! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Pretty easy to just check the brake innards

Remove rear axle cotter pin
46mm socket and 4' cheater bar.
Have someone hold the brake pedal down while you grunt the 350# torqued axle nut off.
Block the front tires.
Jack up the rear.
Remove the axle nut all the way and grab the tire, rim, drum, hub all at once and slide off.
All your brake parts will be visible to you along with your outer grease seal on the bearing carrier.

Self inspection can lead to a good nights sleep Cool

Reverse the process and calc your weight and distance on the cheater to get close to 350# torque on the nut. Or find someone with a really expensive torque wrench to check it for you! Shocked

It is much easier than that to check brakes...
Pull off the rim and remove the drum- leave the hub and axle nut intact.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had that problem on an'84 i drove a lot, was dust from shoes building up, couldn't get out, dump it & ok for awhile. Solved by using a trick form 'old' brand x cars with a hole drilled at inside of drum past area of shoe contact, in corner. Never had problem anymore with many tho/yrs driven. Some of them had a loud squeal when brakes used, used a very stout spring wrapped on outside of drum to stop it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: