Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type4 conversion flange
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternator is directly in the way for the T3 dip stick to work on a T4 conversion. It could be done, and it would be a bit of fabricating, but I have other things to keep me busy.

67FastyRSA wrote:
Just touching on another stumbleblock you might encounter.... oil filler
Have any of you guys seen if a type 3 filler tube would bolt on correctly to the type iv case? I would love to not to have to open the lid to check oil ....(and top up of course) Very Happy

DVKK

DSD, Dark Side Disciples
Progenitor
67FastyRSA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback... I have all the parts but couldn't check yet so as always ... thanks for saving me time Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poor Realist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67FastyRSA wrote:
Just touching on another stumbleblock you might encounter.... oil filler
Have any of you guys seen if a type 3 filler tube would bolt on correctly to the type iv case? I would love to not to have to open the lid to check oil ....(and top up of course) Very Happy

Actually, I did it and it works fine for filling, not measuring. I'm thinking about improving it by welding the type 4 flange to the type 3 dipstick stop. The body mounted portion needs some massaging, too.

I personally think this is well worth the effort.
Mick
Mick-n-chips

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearance for the type 4 engine in a type 3 is no problem.

As for bellows - thats pretty easy. Get some leather and make one up - you just need a conical shape with the correct diameters at each end.

Stitch the two ends together - should work a treat of you get strong enough leather.

Hope this helps

PS - one big prob is mounting the engine if you have an irs car. don't do what I have seen some people do - use a modified bus engine bar that bolts in solidly to the engine mount hangers. This doesn't hold the engine solidly enough and allows the engine to rock side to side along its axis. This is because you're basically mounting the engine from the gearbox mount in the centre at the front and the engine mount in the centre at the rear.

Best solution is to modify your type 3 engine bar to solidly mount to the type 4 case (or something along these lines) then hang it all from the type 3 engine bar mounts.

Also watch out for exhaust clearance - I used shortened j-tubes / collector (you can buy these off of the shelf) and a euro style exhaust which needed a small amount of cutting and rewelding to get to fit behind the rear valence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: