Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swivel seats
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Swivel seats Reply with quote

I see a lot of feedback saying to replace older bus seats with newer model swivel seats. It occurred to me that my 78 vw Riviera has the steel divider between the front seats and the rear of the bus. I thought by 78 all walk throughs had no divider. I even pulled my title to double check the year and it says 1978. Anyone have an answer to this mystery? I too would like swivel seats but I would have to do some serious metal cutting.[/u]
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swivel has nothing to do with the age of your seats. The swivel is a welded in 3 part unit that only came in late Westfalia campers. The seat upgrade you're referrnig to has to do with putting Vanagon seats in your late Bay, which I couldn't agree more with. That single upgrade is one of the best things you can do for your Bus, and for your ass.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
drober23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the question of why he has the bulkhead behind his seats on a '78 remains. The '76 and later walkthrough busses I have seen do not have these, combi or camper.

Have you checked your M-code? This will give you information about how the bus left the factory, and may give you clues as to what is going on. On a '78, the M-code is kind of hard to get to. Here is a post the explains how to find it on your bus:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503163&highlight=code

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe, and some others...
(more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 bus with 76 front seats, passenger swivel and 76 sink cabinet....Having the swivel seat greatly increases your useable inside space;especially when it is raining at the car show. For a really clean instillation you wil need the top of the swivel pedistal .Using the top of the swivel pedistal also gives you a finnished edge where you cut out the 1/2 divider from the original bus.It can be done with just the round swivel but then you have no finished "rear" top lip .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note; The small metal triangle comes out of the donor bus, and where you cut the divider out on the door post ,cut as close as you can with the sawsall and just grind the rest flush

the seatbelt bracket gives just enough room for the seat to move

Cool Laughing Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
69 bus with 75 front seats, passenger swivel and 75 sink cabinet

Those aren't '75 seats. Those are 76-79 seats. This swivel seat wasn't introduced on the Westfalia until 1976. Earlier seats are totally different.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Swivel seats Reply with quote

Poptopcamper wrote:
I even pulled my title to double check the year and it says 1978.
Titles can be wrong - don't go by that. Go by the VIN. If the 3rd digit is "8" then yes, you have a 1978 model.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Swivel seats Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Poptopcamper wrote:
Titles can be wrong - don't go by that. Go by the VIN. If the 3rd digit is "8" then yes, you have a 1978 model.

The third number is an 8. Maybe this was a service bus sent to A.S.I. For conversion and for some reason it had the divider???
2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Swivel seats Reply with quote

Poptopcamper wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
Poptopcamper wrote:

The third number is an 8. Maybe this was a service bus sent to A.S.I. For conversion and for some reason it had the divider???

Riviera took what they could get from the dealers when camper orders were piling up, often dealers sold commercials at a discount to move them out as VW forced them to buy X% commercials if they wanted any of those fast selling Westfalias or deluxes.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
drober23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, the M-code will tell you... But I suspect Busdaddy is right (as usual).

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe, and some others...
(more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
TheRealMacGyver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '77 and '79 do not have the divider. I would also like to do this, just need to find a donor.
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can live with the divider and non swivel seats. I'm just glad to have another one after 30 years. I had a 73 non camper in 1980 that I found a seat that makes into a bed for. But I sold my bus, went to graduate school, had 3 kids and never got back to another bus until three weeks ago. Life happens!
2020 VW Tiguan
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the real mcgiver; got mine from randy in valrico Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
ariley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Do you need a reinforced seat? Reply with quote

I would love to do this with my '78. I don't have any problem cutting out the bulkhead behind the seat but what style seat would i need to replace it with? Please forgive my ignorance but doesn't the bulkhead support the seat in case of an accident? Would i need some sort of reinforced seat or would I install a removable bulkhead/rollbar to mount the seat to while driving?

Thanks!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will need the SWIVEL BASE to work with YOUR SEATS..get the swivel from 76 to 79 bus.....the bulkhead in the 69 did NOT support the seats...I just cut it out with a sawzall

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all buses were walk through, not all buses had single bulkheads and or deleted ones. You can have any mix for what ever reason.

This is a 78

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you need a reinforced seat? Reply with quote

ariley wrote:
I would love to do this with my '78. I don't have any problem cutting out the bulkhead behind the seat but what style seat would i need to replace it with? Please forgive my ignorance but doesn't the bulkhead support the seat in case of an accident? Would i need some sort of reinforced seat or would I install a removable bulkhead/rollbar to mount the seat to while driving?

Thanks!

I just put in the passenger side seat and will be replacing the drivers seat soon with a similar seat. I will recover them sometime in the future.

Welded in the swivel mount from a later bus and used the swivel from that bus. I discovered different swivels have different bolt pattern so make sure you get the mount and the swivel from the same year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ariley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks djway3474 , I was thinking of doing the same. I checked today and my drivers seat could be free standing but the passengers seat needs something behind it. What year bus did you pull your seat from? Any tips on cutting/smoothing out the bulkhead?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ariley wrote:
Thanks djway3474 , I was thinking of doing the same. I checked today and my drivers seat could be free standing but the passengers seat needs something behind it. What year bus did you pull your seat from? Any tips on cutting/smoothing out the bulkhead?

The seats are from a Vanagon. I bought them at a VW junk yard. The bus that the swivel and mount were from was a late Baywindow. The bulkhead can be cut with anything like a cutoff wheel etc then fold or file the edge smooth. The earlier bus and later bus wheel tubs are not the same. The 72 I have is not shaped the same as the later bus so I am having to modify the parts cut out so the two sides will be equal in height. Make sure to cut extra material so you can fold and shape where needed. The passenger seat is not perfectly level but I cant detect it when sitting in it and no one has noticed it but me yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I'm understanding this right, if I wanted to do this to my 78 Riviera I would have to find a donor bus and cut the swivel seats out of them. Is this terribly difficult, or is it pretty straight forward where to cut and stuff? Also would I just have to cut the bulkhead off, or would I need to remove the rails and stuff for the old seat?
dockmaster Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Swivel seats Reply with quote

This 71 has both front seats are swivel!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: