Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator awareness
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Alternator awareness Reply with quote

Short story of the importance of knowing your vehicle.

I drive my 85 GL daily, and was departing for work the other day when I noticed a whining sound in the stereo system that hadn't been there before. I didn't pay much attention to it as everything else was fine. At lunch I was headed to find food when I noticed a whirring sound that rose and fell with then engine (not in the stereo this time as it was off). I didn't have an opportunity to check it out until I was about to leave work. I determined then that it was the alternator, maybe the bearings, not sure. But I had to get home to look further into it. Once home I got to investigate further. As I removed the belt I noted how hot the alternator was. I then pushed/pulled and rotated the pulley and decided the bearings weren't the cause. I then decided to remove it to go have it tested. I went to disconnect the battery and noticed it was extremely hot as well. I proceeded to remove the alternator and took it and one from my shelf to the local parts store (Oreillys) and had them tested. The one that was installed failed the test and had an output charge reading of 23.8 volts. A second test run showed 22.54 volts. The shelf queen tested good so I installed it.

I did not blow any fuses. And luckily I didn't destroy my battery (Optima red top).
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would've been nice to have a voltmeter.

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely!! It's been added to the list of future mods.
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case others are experiencing this, another potential cause of super high voltage is the ground on your battery. I had a bad ground there recently and my alternator got up to 19 volts (measured at the alternator). I didn't even think it was possible! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your voltage regulator is functioning properly that shouldn't be possible.
All the ground does is complete the circuit, it's not like extra electrons create excessive pressure (voltage) when they don't have anywhere to go, they just don't go there. A bad ground would actually reduce voltage, not increase it.

If you want instant proof, go start any alternator equipped vehicle and disconnect the negative battery cable (some will die, depends on the ignition wiring). You could also disconnect the positive, it will have the same result but more chances for welding the battery cable to something. Then check the voltage.

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I forgot to mention something. The shelf queen alternator I installed is a temporary holdover until I order a new replacement. This alternator was removed from either a BMW or a Golf years ago. The mounting and clocking are correct so it works. But... It is missing the wire mounting point that goes to the power steering switch. So, that's not connected at the moment. What kind of issues can I expect???
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further research leads me to believe the PO replaced the alternator at some point in time with one from a diesel powered Vanagon. The alternator I removed is a 65 amp version and has the "W" connection. My van is an 85 powered by the stock 1.9.

I am having difficulties finding the proper replacement unit at this point. the Oreilly's parts store ordered one for me (lifetime warranty) and it came in next day. But it does not have the pole to attach the power steering switch wire on it that the original does(or as is shown on the image file they have).

In fact the one they ordered matches the temporary I have installed now... I don't need 150 amps etc, I just want the right equipment.
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, somebody help me out here. I have had three alternators ordered and all three have been different than the OEM one on the van. The only real difference is they are not equipped with the terminal that you connect the power steering pressure switch to.

I like to put things back in original condition. I could drop the $175 + tax and shipping (X2) needed to order one through van cafe ($55 of that returned for core, understood). Or I could buy local for $75 + tax. Thoughts?

And if I go local do I just disconnect the PS switch?
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JunkYarDog wrote:
...And if I go local do I just disconnect the PS switch?

I don't have power steering so I cannot speak to that switch -- but the alternator is one case where buying local makes sense. An alternator from a major chain (in my case AutoZone) usually comes with a lifetime warranty. If & when it fails you can swap for a replacement unit at any of their locations and even do the replacement in their parking lot -- I did and they even lent me an impact wrench for the pulley nut.

Good to know I will never buy another alternator and one less thing I need to carry a spare of since (even when in remote locations) I will be w/I the 400 miles or so range of the battery to get to the store.
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went with FLAPS alternator, it works fine and I guess the power steering pressure switch is not a huge deal. I never found anything on it here or in the Bentley.
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power steering switch wires have no reason to be connected to the alternator so I don't understand what you mean.

Mark

JunkYarDog wrote:
Went with FLAPS alternator, it works fine and I guess the power steering pressure switch is not a huge deal. I never found anything on it here or in the Bentley.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
Just in case others are experiencing this, another potential cause of super high voltage is the ground on your battery. I had a bad ground there recently and my alternator got up to 19 volts (measured at the alternator). I didn't even think it was possible! Shocked

+1 on "it ain't the ground". If you saw 19V, it's a fried regulator.

The bad ground could - might - maybe have contributed to the demise of the regulator. A sloppy connection anywhere in the charging circuit (any place from the alternator to the battery and its ground) could have caused transients that killed semiconductors or simply left the alternator operating into an open circuit. This usually cooks the diodes (lots of power with no place to go heats the diodes to the point of failing) but you got lucky that it was the regulator.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The power steering switch wires have no reason to be connected to the alternator so I don't understand what you mean.

Mark

JunkYarDog wrote:

What he said. PS has zero to do with the alternator.
JunkYarDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the switch does not connect to the alternator (as it was when I got it), where would it go?

I found this
"Power Steering (P/S) Pressure Switch
The P/S oil pressure switch signals the ECU when the power steering load is high. The ECU then sends a voltage signal to the idle stabilization valve to increase idle speed with power steering load."

And I just found this from a previous attempt to figure this out.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=226816
72' Chevy C10 (LWB Step)
(67' Volvo 122S pending)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On early Vanagons there were up to two valves that were used to supplement idle air flow when extra load was applied to the engine. One for the power steering and one for the A/C. I would presume that the P/S pressure switch which controlled one of these valves may have been grounded to the body of the alternator. If so just remove the ground tap from your old alternator and put it on your new one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: