Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

minor door job, now complete rebuild
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
irun5k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: minor door job, now complete rebuild Reply with quote

Outside scraper somehow came apart and dropped inside door... so decided to follow the great (understatement!) DIY here on regulator removal & cleaning, figuring I could kill two birds with one stone.

While working on the vent window part, the glass came right out of the frame. Yeah, this picture explains how all this ended yesterday Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need a little bit of help because I'm not finding much info on a couple things. The vent wing divider/upright is no longer attached to the wing assembly. I see remnants of some factory rivets (or rivet-like things), but I think the PO broke them first, looks like they glued the thing back together.) Is it truly a rivet I need and if so what size?

It also looks like I'm missing a little yellowed white plastic piece (present at bottom of wing frame, missing at top in photo below.) Is this important, and if so, can a new one be sourced?

Given that my knob is missing on my vent lock, and I need a new seal, AND it sounds difficult to get the glass back in, I'm considering just buying the $50 OE vent window from cip1. Also some prior "work" was done to install a replacement lock and I'm not sure if it resulted in enlarging the hole or doing something else that might give me trouble, but I would appreciate your thoughts on the new vent window vs rebuilding this one based on what you see in these photos.

Lastly, if I do replace the wing, how does it fit into the frame? The top pivot/ rivet is well documented in the forms. How is the bottom secured, if at all? This is what I'm seeing:

Thanks guys. Well at least now that the door is completely disassembled I know that I've hit rock bottom, no more parts to remove = no more surprises...lol.
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how those seemingly simple jobs turn into a project

I'll defer giving advice since I'm not familiar with that model Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/You could try and peen the rivet, I have one with the top rivet loose, that I still need to sort out, before it can be painted and go back into the car.

PS my car was metalic blue, you can see it in my avatar...the result of taking it for a floor pan fix, 2 months ago.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
irun5k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some more aggressive searching, I found this old thread. Same issue:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6522278

This part sounds easy since I don't think there are any major clearance issues involved with the rivets in those spots.

Still a little on the fence of the OE wing from cip1 for $50 vs. try to rebuild mine.
I know an OE quality lock is upwards to $20, not sure how much the seal is that goes between the glass and the frame costs. But it is worth something to avoid a little bit of hair pulling, since that is going to happen anyway when putting the rest of it all back together.

Still not sure what the little piece of plastic I'm missing a the bottom of the frame does, can't be too important though and I still have one in place Very Happy (famous last words)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: