Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving a manual
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
My other car is a Kia 6 speed manual, I learned to drive stick on Hondas and loved the way the engine/tranny slowed the car when downshifting in those, it did wonders for driving those twisty Ozark highways and was loads of fun. But in this Kia even if you downshift from say 5th to 3rd it hardly slows the car down at all and I always end up having to hit the brakes anyway- not sure how it was engineered but it drives me up the wall it's almost like something counteracts the downshifting "grab."

What speed are you downshifting at say from 5th to 3rd?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlex wrote:
Best practice is to take your foot off the accelerator and leave it in whatever gear it's in, push the brake pedal, then allow the slowing engine to slow the whole car.

This. Plus, when the car has slowed enough, you can usually shift into neutral without using the clutch by just gently moving the shift lever. Then you just use the clutch once, to start off again.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Jeeeeeeeeeezus. You put your left leg in, your left leg out, do the hokey cokey and you shake it all about.. la laaa la la laa .. turn around and that's what it's all about. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH hokey hokey cokey! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH hokey cokey cokey! And that's what it's all about!

It's hokey "pokey".... LOL Maybe things are different in Germany. Made a fool of myself many times dancing to that at weddings. Rolling Eyes
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:

Not to derail this thread, but..
just as an example let's say I'm doing a typical 5th gear speed, say 55mph in 5th (actually at 55mph my shift indicator on the dash would tell me to upshift to 6th, but anyway...) I downshift to 3rd and in the Honda it would grab and slow the car immediately, but in the Kia it's like I might as well be coasting to a stop.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Volks Wagen wrote:

Not to derail this thread, but..
just as an example let's say I'm doing a typical 5th gear speed, say 55mph in 5th (actually at 55mph my shift indicator on the dash would tell me to upshift to 6th, but anyway...) I downshift to 3rd and in the Honda it would grab and slow the car immediately, but in the Kia it's like I might as well be coasting to a stop.

I suppose it's all to do with gear ratio, mass of rotating assembly and the cars mass/momentum amongst other factors. The only time I drove a Kia was a small rental car, and it was crazy gearing in 1 & 2 - screamed like a stuck pig, drove like the handbrake was on until 3rd gear.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I always take the car out of gear at stop lights. Less wear on all the clutch components.

If someone's going to bang my ass, then they will.

Tim

They say this is the correct approach if you find yourself in prison..
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take mine out of gear at stop lights. Sue me.

I don't like holding the clutch if I don't have to, it puts wear on the throwout bearing, and then the 3 endplay shims when you put and hold the clutch in it squeezes all of these, putting un-needed wear on the thrust bearing surface.

my 2 cents.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
I take mine out of gear at stop lights. Sue me.

I don't like holding the clutch if I don't have to, it puts wear on the throwout bearing, and then the 3 endplay shims when you put and hold the clutch in it squeezes all of these, putting un-needed wear on the thrust bearing surface.

my 2 cents.

Ah yes! It would put more wear on the trust bearing too. So now you are wearing out both your throwout bearing and your engine. If it was made to be used only periodically, using it constantly will greatly reduce its life. The same goes for brakes, starters and those miniature spare tires new cars have.

My brother-in-law not only takes it out of gear, he shuts off the engine. Then when the light turns green he starts it up again. Supposedly he uses less fuel that way in his Corolla. I would think it would wear out the starter. Interestingly that's what hybrid cars do. They shut off the internal combustion engine when you stop at a light. But unlike most cars, they have an electric motor to get the car going without the engine running.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: