Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single DIN: Nav, Sirius, Bluetooth.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking into it again, I kind of like this one: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LlBwkAuIeK3/p_020VZ401/Clarion-VZ401.html

Check out how far forward the screen is, it just might clear the padded dash?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also has video input from Iphone so you might be able to use the nav from that to display on the larger screen? I like how this one folds down too, not too many fancy buttons visible.
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty nice...You think it will clear?

Why not just use abandon a head unit all together and just put an iPad doc in the car? If you had a data plan for it--you could use it for everything from streaming music to navigation...and you could run your car speakers off of it.

I haven't started down the A/V side of things, but I am starting to contemplate and wondering why people don't just do this...
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think others are using a flip up screen with a spacer, I didn't see any photos in my quick search.

ute wrote:
Why not just use abandon a head unit all together and just put an iPad doc in the car? If you had a data plan for it--you could use it for everything from streaming music to navigation...and you could run your car speakers off of it.

I really wouldn't mind doing this with my iphone! I've definitely thought about it but need to wire in an amp for the speakers since the iphone won't power them. Buttons are also available to control tracks and play/pause. I agree it would be really nice though to just slide the phone into the radio slot and be done with it, and gain a new pocket in the dash!
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a 1/4" spacer for my new Alpine unit on my Makerbot 3D printer. It is not noticeable and works well. I can make these in any reasonable custom depth. PM me for details....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ute wrote:
That looks pretty nice...You think it will clear?

I haven't started down the A/V side of things, but I am starting to contemplate and wondering why people don't just do this...

I'm most of the way down this road (albeit to the extreme), but you still need an amp to power the speakers... I'm looking at this approach for a few different devices - Nexus 7 (OG) as navi device, MacBook Pro 17" as entertainment system (hung from ceiling, optical audio output into sound-processor and amp), Zune and iPhone devices also connected. No radio (can use the one from the Zune in a clumsy fashion), and no CD/DVD player (while in motion).

The MacBook can have some videos pre-loaded, remote-control + front-row software, etc.

Of course, my tastes are different than most - lots of folks prefer to NOT have high-tech stuff in their vans, and KISS (keep it simple, stupid!) Smile
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of a head unit...just use an iPad mini. You could even put your scangauge data on the display if you are converted like me...

I am toying with this idea...
Sitka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several months back I ordered the Parrot Classic and have since been more than impressed with the unit. Super easy install and fits perfectly, no modifications needed. The depth of the actual unit itself is only a few inches which leaves plenty of room behind. It has Bluetooth, navigation, and you can run wireless internet through it as well if you have the USB wireless.

There are lots of reviews on it some good some bad like most products but I've been using mine for about 4 months now with zero issues.

With any unit paired with the road noise of the vanagon it can be a bit difficult for the caller to hear but I am hoping to fix this eventually with some sound proofing material.

tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+

Or,

+

Done.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
with so many PC pads, Ipads etc on the market what about just a bracket to hold one of these on the dash ? I have a laptop with a sim card slot so it could work like a smart phone. or just get one of the larger screen smart phones. I mean it seems like in dash radio/cd/whatever is becoming obsolete considering my phone is more powerful than my last computer...just a dock for it with power and connection to an amp is all that's needed. if I wanted I spose I could have an external screen mounted in the dash for it. I know there is a patch cord to connect it to a TV.

I just got a small screen for engine monitoring. if it had a fuel gauge I wouldn't need 1/2 my dash. and the speedo can be replaced by the GPS speedo on my phone...just need an odometer. maybe my ECU can monitor engine hours and I could eliminate that too.

X2 on all of the above. I look, find, wait a month deciding, and it's already obsolete when I go back fo a second glance.

I've got a Samsung slate that could possibly handle everything you could want - just need to find the right software and build a slick mount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: