Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slider Window Sizes
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Slider Window Sizes Reply with quote

I have an 89, full camper Pop Top Version Westfalia and I pulled out all of my windows in order to have my bus painted.

I decided that this was a good time to have my frames re-powder coated. I then noticed that my glass was scratched up pretty bad and so I ordered glass, which came complete with different frames, from a pull yard. These windows came from another 89, However, these windows are from a NON-Camper/Non Pop top Vanagon passenger van. Once I received the donor windows I quickly realized after examining them that VW had decided to use different windows in their Vanagon Passenger van then had been installed into the same year Pop Top Camper version.

As for the window frames, when completely dismantled each frame is 4 separate pieces. It had been my intention to simply pull out all of the glass from these donor window frames, and put them into my original frames. As mentioned above, I then noticed that the glass panels, and inner metal frame pieces are different sizes.

The differences, and similarities, are as follows:

The Westfalia outside frame dimensions for the sliding door window frame and the passenger side window frame are the same as the outside dimensions of the frames from the vanagon non pop top westy, however, the other metal pieces, (the piece that attaches to bottom edge of the glass panel that slides) is shorter, so is the metal piece/section that the latch lifts up and out of so as to allow the sliding glass panel to lock and unlock in certain positions.

The glass panels in the Camper Pop top version are sized as follows:

- The fixed glass is just under 11 and 3/4 inches when removed from the frame.
- The sliding panel of glass is 28 and 1/8th inches when measured once removed from the frame.

The glass panels in the Non Westfalia, Vanagon passenger van are sized as follows:
- The fixed glass is around 19 and 1/2 Inches.
-The sliding panel of glass is a little over 22 Inches.

Also, the latch on the Vanagon passenger van window frames is located on the far end of the glass, as opposed to being positioned near the center of the glass. As can be seen in the photo of the bus in the following link.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1074691.jpg

As I know has been discussed before, In the following Samba posting, the opening sizes are different for a Vanogon Passenger van versus a Regular Pop Top Westy:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461979

So to reiterate, When the sliding windows are opened In the vanagon Non Pop top/passenger van the window opening is larger. According to my measurements, when laying my removed original glass over the donor frames so as to compare, it seems as though, When opened, the opening size is 17 inches in the Vanagon passenger van frames, as opposed to 11 inches in the Pop Top Westfalia version.

As for swapping parts so as to install the larger opening sliders into my camper Westfalia, So far I can only see advantages;

Having a larger window opening on both sides for more airflow, 17 inches versus 11 inches, and I think that I would also like being able to more easily reach behind me while driving in order to slide open the window directly behind the drivers seat.

I have 2 questions:

Does anyone knows why VW would decide to have smaller slider window openings in their camper/Pop Top models then the Non Pop Top Vanagon passenger vans of the same year? Does anyone know what logic may have been behind this?

and..... Most Importantly I would like to ask all of you this:

Can any of you see any disadvantage to my swapping the Non westy Vanagon passenger van Frame pieces and glass with that of my original Frames?

Thank you for your feedback and thoughts on this....[/img]
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: SLIDER WINDOW SIZES Reply with quote

David Marquis wrote:
I have 2 questions:

Does anyone knows why VW would decide to have smaller slider window openings in their camper/Pop Top models then the Non Pop Top Vanagon passenger vans of the same year? Does anyone know what logic may have been behind this?

and..... Most Importantly I would like to ask all of you this:

Can any of you see any disadvantage to my swapping the Non westy Vanagon passenger van Frame pieces and glass with that of my original Frames?

The westy windows are set up to work with bug screens, the passenger van not. That's why the handle is in the middle of the glass on the westy, so it doesn't hit the screen.

You can put the passenger one in your westy, you just loose the ability to have the westy screen.

Westy window: Screen fits in section that slides open and latch is rearward of screen
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger window: No screen. Latch near front of window enabling it to open wider.

You could get exterior screens or build a vented screen to fit in the passenger opening (thread on here about that).

Or some people modify Jalousie windows from Bay window busses so they can leave their pindows open in the rain:

Last edited by geo_tonz on Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passenger van frames don't accept the white screens that are clipped into place. Those are good to have when cooking inside the van to keep cross breeze and keep bugs out.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put a Jalousie in there. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pass van sliders are what you need to modify to make rear quarter sliders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
pass van sliders are what you need to modify to make rear quarter sliders.

Why not Westy sliders? That way the opening is smaller and less likely to invite someone to stuck their head outside the window. Thereby getting possibly decapitated.😉 I'd want sliders on both rear quarters just because my 'CDO' doesn't like different looking windows on each side.

The Westy sliders are what you need to build Doka rear sliders.

Lastly, pre-85 passenger side sliders are overall longer.
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I found an interesting blog that discusses the differences.

http://chojinchef-vanagonowneragain.blogspot.com/2011/07/sliding-door-glass.html

I Thank you all for your responses. I thought it over and despite the larger opening that would be gained I would not like the idea of not having the screens, for both bugs as well as security. If you were sleeping someone could simply reach in and open your slider while your sleeping. Maybe not likely, but possible...
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Y'all are awesome!!, as is the Samba itself, which of course is comprised of all who contribute and respond.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Marquis wrote:
Hello,

I found an interesting blog that discusses the differences.

http://chojinchef-vanagonowneragain.blogspot.com/2011/07/sliding-door-glass.html

I Thank you all for your responses. I thought it over and despite the larger opening that would be gained I would not like the idea of not having the screens, for both bugs as well as security. If you were sleeping someone could simply reach in and open your slider while your sleeping. Maybe not likely, but possible...

That guy is a hack - don't listen to anything he has to say. Laughing
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
David Marquis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blog by the way... Thanks for all the info in there...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: