Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bye Bye, Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your thoughts!

I shudder to think what would have happened without seat belts. As most of you know the 66s didn't come with them new, but they did have the mounting points, filled with plastic plugs from the factory, so putting in belts is a straight bolt-in. I installed the front lap-shoulder belts 8 years ago.

And the backup lights are still good! Smile
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this Donnie- I hate the thought of something like that happening to the bug I've had for 16 years.

A longtime friend in my car club taught me this regarding show cars: It's not the VW that makes the owner cool- it's the owner that makes the car cool.

The same can be applied to an accident victim. If I were in your shoes- I'd find a similar era bug and transfer some of the most appreciated parts over to it. Have your son stretch out on the pavement with you when you trade pea shooters to the new car. Have him help you wire in those backup lights. Watching him get excited over the new car will make the transition seamless.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get another car if you get insurance money there are plenty of driver condition bugs out there.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had somebody drive me today, just to look.There's a VW shop fairly close; it's where I bought my '66 back in 1997. He has a few really solid cars (including a '73 convertible) but all his pre-68 stuff is going to need the usual rust repair stuff.

My attorney says it'll be a few months anyway, so I'm just getting an idea about prices and condition right now. Checking Samba classifieds and Craigslist, etc.
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 10 years ago I got rear ended by a drunk driver in my Oval, long story short, the insurance company thought they were going to use JC Whitney and cut a check. I had screaming matches with them on the phone and they finally came around once I emailed them classified ads from TS for W lids, bumpers, etc.
gp98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I know this is an older thread but just reading and saw where OP stated insurance company stated "was going to be a couple months"!
Happened to me few years back, sitting at red light and kid just got license that day rammed me. Massachusetts ins. law gives them thirty days to settle or you can go to court and file for up to THREE times estimated damage. I got $1,800.00 check for $600.00 dollars damage.

Everyone check your local laws/regulations! Twisted Evil
1969 tin top westy
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "couple of months" was for the medical bills, not the property damage. The car's value was settled within a month.
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the reasons I hate to drive my '66 around town. We've got some real dummy drivers around here and I would absolutely cry if that happened to me.

The worst thing that has happen so far is I watched my radio antenna mast come out of the base and blow by my driver-side window this morning.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the injuries, your looking at a $100,000 insurance case, assuming the guilty party has that kind of coverage (if not, then assume you have enough un-insured motorist protection to cover the remainder.)

It is very important to have excess un-insured /under insured coverage, just in case you hit by someone that has no or little insurance.

A dumb bitch spilled her can of orange soda while coming up to a red light on an expressway, and slammed her fucking Ford Explorer into my little 914 while I waited at a red light. totaled my car, and caused me to have surgery to repair my arm. Good thing I had a $100,000 policy for under insured drivers, cause the bitch only had a $30,000 policy (state minimum) so my policy covered the $70,000 difference. What a cunt she was, told me it was her third rear ender accident!!! If I were king she would be forced to drive a golf cart with no door nor seat belts for the rest of her miserable life. No more real cars for her.

I'd get an attorney on this one ASAP. you need representation to get what is due you for the car, the injury bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. You also will be owed a replacement rental until you can find a suitable 66 Bug to replace what you had taken by the cunt that hit you. You should be owed travel expenses in your search for a replacement Bug, it is not like you can just walk into a dealer and buy a new one.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
This is one of the reasons I hate to drive my '66 around town. We've got some real dummy drivers around here and I would absolutely cry if that happened to me.

Yes, it's always in the back of my mind. But really, there's not a lot we can do...if we drive our VWs, there's always the chance... Sad
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Nightmare! Reply with quote

I have a number of Beetles (hence looking at this section) but am restoring a 47 at the moment, and always say to people that I wont really drive it when restored, for purely the reason(s) we see here. Some say I'm being over dramatic, but it's always a possibility.

Those early 3 spoke steering wheels are lovely to look at, but aimed directly at your chest, with no short column, or dished area to provide some leeway for movement. For the record I have a 58 Standard model with the same 3 spoke steering wheel, so they did extend into this period of interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Bye Bye, Bug Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
We've got some real dummy drivers around here

Welcome to LA, chief. Mad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: