Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home Owners Insurance = VW hoarders be warned
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiningstar76 wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:
My wife works for the autoclub, she stated that anything that may cause bodily harm is a liability. Including tarped cars, cars on jackstands etc etc etc.

Along those lines of thinking...
an outside electrical receptacle can electrocute when provoked..
an outside water faucet/spigot will drown when not used properly.
No way in hell can you own an outdoor kitchen...
There are trees on most properties... and we all know nobody climbs trees. Cut them all down just in case... Wait the shrub huggers may have a problem with that...
Oh shit I have a grill cover... and the grill grates may have some rust and chard food... For safety...Dont let anyone near it.....
Fire pit... Forget it.. Its a hazard on too many levels.
Deck... OH crap... its 3 feet off the ground... Next... cant have it..
Front porch steps... well... MUST have a rail.. Ill give ya that...
A fence around a pool whats the use.. anyone can climb over it.. Better electrify it.. Wait ... cant do that... How about razor wire.. Nope.. may cut someone..
For that matter.. how can you own a pool without a full time life guard.?
Doors can slam fingers in..
Showers ..tubs.. toilets...sinks = water....drown..o
Windows can break.. cut..

A line of reality has to be drawn..
How many simple things outside a home can harm.. .. its an infinite possibility.
How the hell are we even allowed to have Natural Gas, Propane and Electricity in our homes these days?
I guess all it takes is one stupid lawsuit to cause the normal people problems.

Applause

I don't write the laws,I just explain them to people that don't understand them and my friends enforce them. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

But on another note, We all get charged the same by insurance companies. make sure You are never under insured as people may come after your personal assets in case of a loss or claim.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

I don't write the laws,I just explain them to people that don't understand them and my friends enforce them. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Yeah I know the saying.... "dont shoot the messenger".. I have my own set friends.... Twisted Evil
I am just trying to make some sense form senselessness.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

this is the reasons why there are warning labels on everything and the government spends millions coming up with laws that should be common sense to anyone over the age of 5 Rolling Eyes

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

Yeah I know the saying.... "dont shoot the messenger".. I have my own set friends.... Twisted Evil
I am just trying to make some sense form senselessness.

Gotcha! Cool

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvileNV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My project car windows are blocked by sunshades...it's just like bubble wrap covered in aluminum foil, the hardware store sells it by the foot in different widths, so measure your windows and you can cut the stuff to fit each window and no tarp is needed....
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

this is the reasons why there are warning labels on everything and the government spends millions coming up with laws that should be common sense to anyone over the age of 5 Rolling Eyes

Big time.. .. Cant fix stupid..

EvileNV wrote:
My project car windows are blocked by sunshades...it's just like bubble wrap covered in aluminum foil, the hardware store sells it by the foot in different widths, so measure your windows and you can cut the stuff to fit each window and no tarp is needed....

And what protects it from the rest.... rain, snow, sleet, leaves.. hail..?
Sun damage is the least of some owners worries..
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

EvileNV wrote:

And what protects it from the rest.... rain, snow, sleet, leaves.. hail..?
Sun damage is the least of some owners worries..

I'd be more concerned about the moisture trapped under/inside the tarp, hail and falling trees. Its not like the project cars are trailer queens. Can you unwrap them and make them look like they move? Put a fence around them? Add a shed to enclose them?
Around here we are allowed only one non plated vehicle....
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my59 wrote:

Funny how many of us still follow rules.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Home Owners Insurance = VW hoarders be warned Reply with quote

If you own a pool, at least out here in SoCal, it has to be fully fenced with self closing gates, etc. etc. Why? Some genius lawyer dreamed up the term "attractive nuisance" (only a lawyer could do that) which means if some kid wanders into your yard, i.e. trespasses, falls in your pool and drowns, guess who is responsible? The goddamn kid who should stay the hell off your property? Nope... Evil or Very Mad
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Owners Insurance = VW hoarders be warned Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
If you own a pool, at least out here in SoCal, it has to be fully fenced with self closing gates, etc. etc. Why? Some genius lawyer dreamed up the term "attractive nuisance" (only a lawyer could do that) which means if some kid wanders into your yard, i.e. trespasses, falls in your pool and drowns, guess who is responsible? The goddamn kid who should stay the hell off your property? Nope... Evil or Very Mad

I think it varies by County when I lived in L.A. County, that was the rule given to us when we were considering a backyard pool/spa. Now in Ventura County, in a house with a pool, the R.E. agent said it was not required.

But I agree, the "attractive nuisance" laws have become absurd.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Home Owners Insurance = VW hoarders be warned Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Anyway.. came down to 2 companies.
Both required moving (most) insured vehicles to the policy as well within 60 days.

I have my house and cars insured with one of the big companies that operates in all 50 states. They asked for the home information over the phone and didn't send an inspector out to verify what I told them. All they wanted to know was what material the outside walls were made of and what material the roof was. I have been with them for 10 years.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I guess we all cant be that lucky...
Even though... they say we are in good hands...Im a bit concerned......as to where they want to put those hands.. Confused
I'm not turning my back towards them... thats for damn sure.
Usually and often edited
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
my59 wrote:

Funny how many of us still follow rules.

I'm just saying what the town allows. Have not seen many pay attention.
I've always wondered what constitutes a "vehicle" vs an assembly of parts.
Some say the first law of real estate is location. I say the second law of real estate is "Dont piss off your neighbors". Sounds like that needs to be adjusted to "neighbors or insurance co."

I've had dealings with the local officials over pool enclosures- the building inspector's comment was to the effect that the the kid who drowns in his parents pool will always be on the parents minds, but does it have to be on the minds of the cops and ems who show up after the 911 call?
NudeAutoMall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that happy with insurance co's either, but I do agree they just respond to damages they have suffered due to some law suite.

Thus my suggestion is, this is a free country, start your own insurance co, put it together with a group of car nuts, and head it with your own car nut lawyers. Such would be a double good, giving valuable insurance to us car nuts, as well as slowly swaying case law to our favor as suits are won in our favor.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea...

The first step would be a notorized legal form and document signed from all applicants.
Which will include..

"Under no circumstances can the applicant, policy holder, insured, file a lawsuit due to to the result of being earthly stupid.
In the event if...(when) such a issue arises in which a lawsuit for lack of common sense is thought to be present, the applicant, policy holder, insured must carry a sign stating "idiot" .
In the event a sign can not be obtained a T-Shirt labeled "idiot" will be provided and must be worn on the top most layer of clothing by the applicant, policy holder, insured, at all times for the remainder policy period or 1 year which ever is more, and can not be washed unless it becomes illegibal"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The first step would be a notorized legal form and document signed from all applicants

I'm a Notary. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your wife wanted the yard cleaned up and found a way to get it done.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:
Sounds like your wife wanted the yard cleaned up and found a way to get it done.

Well.. if thats the case...
I wish her good luck getting the upstairs bathroom repainted and redecorated for my free labor.. Laughing

But yeah..ya know what.. Think . maybe, just maybe, this was another deceitful feminine plot to force me to clean up..
I can beleive it.. Mad

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
The first step would be a notorized legal form and document signed from all applicants

I'm a Notary. Smile

Just need a banker and lawyer now..
Usually and often edited
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough with the conspiracy theories. When you switch companies, it's SOP that they send someone to do a driveby of the property. I had the same thing happen to me when I switched about 3 years ago, only the company didn't give me a chance to conform to their nonsense, they just cancelled me, not only because of one Bus I had in the backyard, but because of "peeling paint on the windows" and "windows in disrepair." I called the company to argue about it, since my house is covered in vinyl siding AND all of the windows are wrapped in aluminum. There is no paint on my house, anywhere. They didn't want to hear it. They couldn't explain it. I switched companies, they did their driveby and I haven't had an issue since.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:

i was at a town meeting b.s.ing with our ZEO...she actually was asked by a wife to swing by and issue a warning.

wonder if the husband ever found out who called him in Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: