Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DRLA Accelerator Pump Wowes
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: DRLA Accelerator Pump Wowes Reply with quote

Are the DRLA accelerator pumps prone to clogging? Are the O-rings around the pump jets prone to pinching?

I have been switching out pump jets trying to get the right tune. It seems that one carb is finicky about pumping correct. I have noticed that the o-rings that used to come out with the jets now are stuck in the hole. Not a big deal there, but I fished the o-rings out of one of my carbs and it had pinched and torn.

I got replacement o-rings for that side, but I suspect that both sides are this way. I just wanted to know if this is a common problem?

Also, does the o-ring dictate how powerfully the pump jets squirt? Is that the barrier that causes the fuel to build pressure? Are the pump jets prone to letting fuel slip by the o-ring and "flow" into the throat instead of squirting down into the throat?

Next week I am going to pull both carbs off and make sure they are clean. They were fully rebuilt with Aircooled rebuild kits. I had them tuned quite nicely before I switched to one size bigger jets. Then I started having issues. I believe I either have a clog somewhere or my idea about pinched o-rings is true.
My Old 70 Squareback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically if the pump jet o ring has a.pinch/torn, the spray out will be erratic or it wil drip fuel out pump jet passage that the pump jet slides in and will drip down the carb. Id replace all o rings and start fresh. If they pinch or tear, it is likely that the o ring is too big. The spring and nut that holds the throttle shaft actuating undee the carb body dictates spray strength. Blow out all passages. I usually fill fuel or carb cleanee in the float bowl with the top cover off and pump fuel up thru the pump jets tocheck flow and spray pattern. But before i do that, i also do it with the pump jets out to clear the passage of potential obstructions.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Typically if the pump jet o ring has a.pinch/torn, the spray out will be erratic or it wil drip fuel out pump jet passage that the pump jet slides in and will drip down the carb. Id replace all o rings and start fresh. If they pinch or tear, it is likely that the o ring is too big. The spring and nut that holds the throttle shaft actuating undee the carb body dictates spray strength. Blow out all passages. I usually fill fuel or carb cleanee in the float bowl with the top cover off and pump fuel up thru the pump jets tocheck flow and spray pattern. But before i do that, i also do it with the pump jets out to clear the passage of potential obstructions.

That sounds exactly like what is happening. I think you are right. I need to treat them down, check passages and replace o rings.

Along those lines, does anyone know the exact o ring get? I'm thinking 006.
My Old 70 Squareback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That spring is actually the filter to catch crap before it clogs the nozzle. Make sure it's good and clean before you put it back in. There are two check valves(3 actually) in the pump circuit, make sure they are all closing completely. The first is the brass valve bottom center of the float, and is the most likely to catch sediment. The other 2 are under the small brass screws that are exposed when you pull the carb tops, there is a hexagonal weight and check ball under each one. If any of these aren't working 100% it can cause a lazy shot of fuel at the pump nozzle.

Last edited by esde on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
That spring is actually the filter to catch crap before it clogs the nozzle. Make sure it's good and clean before you put it back in. There are two (3 actually) in the pump circuit, make sure they are all closing completely. The first is the brass valve bottom center of the float, and is the most likely to catch sediment. The other 2 are under the small brass screws that are exposed when you pull the carb tops, there is a hexagonal weight and check ball under each one. If any of these aren't working 100% it can cause a lazy shot of fuel at the pump nozzle.

I will check all of that when i have it apart. Thanks for the tips. I do remember that all my check balls and springs were place. I'm sure that it is a combination of crud and o rings. I'll get it sorted out.
My Old 70 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: