Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question re Drive Axle Shaft
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Question re Drive Axle Shaft Reply with quote

Is it a common occurrence for the drive shaft to break? Last year my left one sheared off the bolts and this year the same thing happened to the right one.

What causes it and is there any preventative measure to be taken?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolts don't just shear off on their own--for no reason at all, especially at the axle at the end of the CV joints--

Somebody didn't tighten them down--they worked loose & snapped, fell out--whatever.

If you were seriously off roading--yea--they might snap, but not trundling down the road.

Be sure to locktite the mounting bolts if this seems to be a problem.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't a common problem.
Proper torque with a clean surface between the CV and the flanges has never failed me and I do stupid things. Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need sufficient torque so that the bolts only see high but fairly constant tension forces. If the torque is too low then the bolts will see pulsating tension forces and also pulsating shear forces which lead to fatigue and eventual failure.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all. Yes we are going to use Locktite on them. I suspect loose so this will be another thing to keep an eye on whenever up on hoist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I mentioned.

If the mounting hardware wasn't tightened down, they worked loose, & broke.

If she feels that there is an issue with this, a drop or two of locktite on the threads sure wouldn't hurt.

Return the vehicle to the Guy that installed them---look for some warranty on the shoddy workmanship.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time any of mine broke was during new install using the 'bright plated' bolts, doing final tq & bolt broke at end of threaded section. Removed shaft & dug into my stash of used bolts & replaced ALL, won't use these again, china ?, el cheepo other brand? my-2cts.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully my new bolts are coming from a reliable German resource. I am aware of cheap or white metal, etc.... As the second time this happened was different side to the first time and I think it was original bolts so as I said I will have to keep an eye of all their tightness henceforth and to use locktite.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CV mounting bolts are hardened---and shouldn't have been soft, stretchable bolts.
Somebody somewhere just didn't put enough armstrong on them, and they worked loose.

It would most certainly been a wise & prudent move to go over to the other axle and check them out--
If one side came loose & failed, who's to say the same thing wouldn't happen to the other assuming the same lame backyard handyman installed both axles at the same time?

This I think was somebodies poor decision not checking out the other axle prior to it blowing off too--that's all.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you also using the correct Schorr washers and the "torque spreader bars" as well as the hardness 12.9 bolts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have added locking washers to left side when it was repaired as well as the loctite. Will ditto it on right side AND check left side again as well. Only qualified, certified mechanic do my van now (since 2011) and 2 Vanagon mechanics.

Again thanks for all your input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: