Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rubber bumpers on cargo doors
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Rubber bumpers on cargo doors Reply with quote

Okay, I have a big favor to ask of you bus gurus. When my bus was in the body shop getting painted, the knuckleheads filled in the four threaded holes for the rubber bumpers for my doors.

Do any of you guys have access to a bus that has the rubber bumpers removed for some measurements? I would be SUPER grateful. I dont really know of anyone around here with another bus that I can use as a template, so I am kinda SOL.

Its the last thing i need to do on the exterior of my bus before calling it finished, and then I can finally put the interior door panel on the passenger door. I left it off in preparation of installing these bumpers.

Not sure if different years had different placement? My bus is an early 64 (Nov 63). Still has ice pick front doors and has the front cargo door without the indent.

Also, does anyone have an idea on what the thread size/pitch for those four posts in the doors?

Thanks all. I greatly appreciate it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they are centered on the cargo doors, that should be easy to find, the body and front door ones match up to those when the cargo doors open. Threads are 5mm x not sure of the pitch.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my late '67 they measure 11 7/8" from the hinged edge on the cargo doors, 13 1/2" on the front passenger door (measured from the same spot) and 13 1/2" on the rear quarter.

Not sure if it would be the same on a early '63 bus, but there you go.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can they be seen from the back side?? (since the door panels are off) I wonder if they welded them or bondoed them up.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Can they be seen from the back side?? (since the door panels are off) I wonder if they welded them or bondoed them up.

Yes, there are little plates/nuts there
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:

They put some sort of filler in it cause the rear most rubber bumper (above the gas door) is exposed in the rear cargo area and you can see the stuff oozing out of the little threaded plate.

You can see the places the thread plates in the doors, but you can't reach them with a drill/tap without drilling through the inside metal of the door. That isn't going to happen. Haha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

them filling in these holes and doing it with bondo really would have me questioning the quality of the paint and body work that they did on your bus

since they filled them with bondo you are going to have to drill them out and run a tap thru them to clean the threads

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
swivel'n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit of measuring for you today (As you already know). Tried to be as specific as possible….

I measured the far rear hole to the body line near the vents, it came in at 1ft 2 5/16".

The rear cargo door measures at 11 25/32" from the rear side of the door to the hole.

The front cargo door is the same as the rear cargo door.

The front passenger door, from the hole to the rear support pillar (between the driver door and the cargo door) measured at 1ft 2 5/16"

The hole is 1 9/16" down from the top of the belt line on the rear three. And 1 3/8" down on the passenger door.

I took pictures of all the measurements. Let me know if anyone wants me to upload them Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: