Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 351, 352, 353 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:

Thanks a ton.. I knew these were the things i needed to tweak/replace once i bought the van last august. I still have a lot more work ahead of me.
]

I'm debating whether or not to install the fridge or to use the whole cabinet space for out of sight camera storage. Installing a 1990 AC unit now so I'm test fitting the closet and shelf because I am running the full length duct to the front.
HENDO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave Sludge a hug this morning after winning 1st place at the Texas VW Classic yesterday.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfy Murphy wrote:
. I also replaced the fuel lines and put in a shutoff solenoid that came with my blazecut solenoid...

Where did you connect the solonoid cutoff? Is that the 87 Syncro you have in the picture?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUAPO wrote:
I gave Sludge a hug this morning after winning 1st place at the Texas VW Classic yesterday.

Not bad! Congratulations.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUAPO wrote:

congrats!!!

i was and till am so bummed i couldnt make it...
HENDO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. This was my 1st ever show I have attended. It was a great time and I met a lot of really nice people.
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUAPO wrote:
Thanks guys. This was my 1st ever show I have attended. It was a great time and I met a lot of really nice people.

was great talking to you yesterday - and that paint job looks great!
euro911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
euro911 wrote:
I hope I don't need the extended trailing arms ($$$) Confused

Are you referring to the 16" extended trailing arms? those are for the Syncro's and their rear suspension.
You won't need then for the 1.5" lift springs unless you put impossibly large tires your motor couldn't turn over anyway!

I'm looking at Yoko Geolander ATS tires ... either 215/65 or 215/70. I would eventually like to stick a Subi 2.2L in there ... still studying up on the subject.
'70 Karmann Ghia Coupe
'84 Vanagon Westfalia Camper ("Eileen")
HENDO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srmpf wrote:
GUAPO wrote:

was great talking to you yesterday - and that paint job looks great!

you too man!

You can see your van in this pic.

euro911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool pic. Looks like an old Taco Frijole mini bike hanging on the front of the center Vanagon Question

I need to fab a bracket to carry a Honda Mini Trail-70 bike on my front bumper Wink
'70 Karmann Ghia Coupe
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an air cooled van, yours is a water cooled van, think about your air flow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
euro911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be alright. I don't think it will affect the cooling much at all ... but thanks for your concern Very Happy
'70 Karmann Ghia Coupe
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Upgrading the 84's AC to a 90's Reply with quote

I managed to get some time today to get started on upgrading the old 84 AC system by installing the center ducting from a 1990's AC system I bought.
I ran a string from the inside mirror to the center snap fastener for the curtain at the rear hatch to get the alignment right.

Next will be figuring out how to beautify the ugly mismatch of the different years designs of the AC housing with the closet from a 84 Westy.
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euro911 wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Why are they "used"? what reason where they replaced? Just curious as I'm installing a set after I get the trailing arms back this week. I'm doing the entire suspension too.

The seller installed them on a 'Tin Top' and said after 1k miles he took them off as the ride was too rough. This is stated on their web site:

"1.5" LIFT: These springs will provide roughly a 1.5" suspension lift for all 1980-91 Vanagon 2WD Westfalia campers. If you have the much lighter hard-top Vanagon (or single/double cab truck), these springs will provide too much lift for your suspension geometry. Don't say we didn't warn you!"

Looks like I may need to order their Upper Ball Joint Spacer Kit too.

I hope I don't need the extended trailing arms ($$$) Confused

I just finished installing the 1.5" GoWesty all terrain package and you will definitely need the upper ball joint spacers. Buy a really good set of spring compressors also. I bought a cheap set and it is pretty sketch when you crank down on all that spring pressure.

My suspension has the fox racing shocks and it is a stiff ride. The Westy handles the curves great but when you hit a pothole it is a thud. I keep dropping my tire pressure to soften the ride. I am now running 30 lbs in the bfg at's. The frost heaves of the Alaska Highway are rough and the suspension will be much better than the stock bouncy bottoming out ride that I had.
euro911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see if the ball joint spacers were included in my spring purchase Question (I pick them up from FedEx tomorrow). If not, I'll order a pair.

Did you need to ad the 1/2" rubber pads with the rear springs?

Will I need to replace my shocks too? The existing ones seem OK, but I don't know if I'll need longer travel ones Question
'70 Karmann Ghia Coupe
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and Yes. I just completed my Subaru 2.2 and I have the swing away tire carrier. With the extra couple hundred pounds my van sits level with a load. When I take the spare tire off and no kids in the van....its a bit stiff. Loaded it sits level and rides great.

I am 99% certain you will need new shocks with these springs. The new shocks are considerably longer to account for the increased travel. The stock springs did not have the extension or flex that these do. I would think that bouncing over a speed bump would thud the end of your shock length and possibly cause mount damage as well.

Be sure to pay attention to the spring orientation when you take your old springs off. There is a really helpful youtube video out there on replacing vanagon springs with a compressor. It also took me a couple times of compressing my new springs to figure out where to put the compressors on and them not hit the frame during install.
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last March - over a year ago - I placed an order with one of the vendors for a left side heater cable for my aircooled. The website showed that the right side was out of stock so I called and pestered them, wanting to know when they might be getting more. After a few tries, the product mysteriously vanished from the website. It is back now, but still showing "out of stock".

I then ordered it from another vendor, along with some other stuff. Everything showed up except the heater cable - my invoice showed it was "backordered". So I started calling them every couple of weeks - "just waiting for another batch from Germany".

Spring and summer passed and when the fall came I admitted defeat and tied my heater boxes open with wire again. The rest of my heating system was finally working for the first time in my ownership and this missing cable was really a bummer.

Just after Christmas I found a NOS one in the Samba classifieds - in Britain. I couldn't believe it when I found out the 17GBP price included shipping from the UK. I really couldn't believe it when it actually showed up and it was REAL!

I finally installed it today. Totally anticlimatic after waiting over a year but definitely a good feelling. A circlip, bolt, and "crimp" were all missing and a boot was torn but where there's a will there is a way, even if the results aren't pretty.

Also installed a thermostat that I rebuilt:

And I finished painting my rims and connected the "camper accessories" wiring harness/relay. I love productive weekends!
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

euro91 wrote:

Did you need to ad the 1/2" rubber pads with the rear springs?

Will I need to replace my shocks too? The existing ones seem OK, but I don't know if I'll need longer travel ones Question

I'm going to use Monroe Sensa-Trac Shocks. 58595’s rear and 58253’s fronts. Try online at http://www.rockauto.com/ the FLAP wanted far over rock's price!

The rear shock should be easy to fit, but the front is going to be a challenge with cheap spring compressors. BE SAFE on that front while installing.

The rear 1/2" rubber is supposed to be there from what I have read about the upgrade, it is part of the normal setup. Adding more spacers made of white plastic kitchen cutting board later they settle down to level the ride if needed.
Take time to verify your rear trailing arm is not rotting from rust at the spring cap.

Last edited by Steve M. on Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
adamjjohn203
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added 18% tint and rear vented windows. Replaced the rear 3 seals with the trimless style. New windshield too...there was a quarter size hole in the passenger side widow frame bottom...no wonder it leaked when it rained!!

mlbdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamjjohn203 wrote:
Added 18% tint and rear vented windows. Replaced the rear 3 seals with the trimless style. New windshield too...there was a quarter size hole in the passenger side widow frame bottom...no wonder it leaked when it rained!!

I need a new windshield just wondering what u paid for it and install price if u don't mind.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 351, 352, 353 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 352 of 629

Jump to: