Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Governor cover O-ring?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Governor cover O-ring? Reply with quote

I've a very small leak from the governor cover on my automatic, and I pulled the cover today thinking the o-ring probably needed replacing. Pulled the cover, and...no o-ring at all.

Searching here has resulted in a 90 X 3mm o-ring being specified, but before I put one on, how exactly does it install? I can't find any images of how it's supposed to install and I don't have an old one to go by.
paradox_pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a groove for the OD of the o-ring in the transmission. The ring seals on the OD of the cover. I think you might want to try poking around in there with a pick. I'm pretty sure you would have a large leak if there was no o-ring there at all. If you're trying to change the o-ring with the tranny in the car I would buy a few o-rings as I manager to cut one when trying the same.
-Pete.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's what I was wondering.
paradox_pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replaced the governor cover o-ring on mine it was so brittle I decided I needed to pull the transmission and do a complete reseal. As it happens I think the transmission had been overhauled at some point and all the other seals replaced as they were not nearly as brittle. Also, the one seal that was not included in the overhaul kit was the governor cover o-ring. coincidence? Probably not. Regardless, I'm glad I tore it completely down, as now I know it should be good for 100,000 miles or more.
-Pete
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I rebuilt my transmission, I also had a leak at the governor cap. The O-ring that was in there was hard but not brittle, so I got it out in one piece. However, the replacement O-ring was too small, so I could not install it. So I ended up putting the old O-ring back in. Then I cleaned the area around the cap and slathered on Permatex Moto 1 gasket maker.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/900-333?utm_source...7AodTg8AkA

I then ran the transmission for about a year without loosing a drop (at least there Sad ). The cap doesn't have much pressure to hold back, it just contains the ATF that gets past the governor seal.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the o-ring changed today. As paradox pete said, it was there but really hard to see. The old one was hard and shrunken, and was replaced with a new 90mm X 3mm ring. Good thing I had the right pick, luckily bought a few months ago at a flea market. It looks like the left end of the second one from the top:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: