Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

could u post pictures of thier syncro power steering switch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: could u post pictures of thier syncro power steering switch Reply with quote

could u post pictures of thier syncro power steering switch location please, I have been searching google but cant find any pics

my syncro seems to have one of the hoses to/from the pump replaced & I have no switch, cant find nothing in Bentley either?????

I'm putting right the very few bodges of previous owner has made, well his mechanic actually, probably cutting corners to keep the chaps repair cost down but not knowing the knock in effect....

hope you guys can help
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top left hand corner. At 11 o'clock of the power steering pump banjo fitting bolt. The switch screws into the high pressure power steering line.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engerland? Confused
Where's that?
davesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant pic! now too this it has two spade end connectors is that right??

is the switch a specific type or will any two pin switch do?

that particular line has been replaced in my syncro so I have no switch but I have the wiring & connectors on my loom
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch is specific to the ECU as far as operating pressure, but it is probably overkill. I am fairly sure, the switch really only operates at full lock. It sends a signal to the idle controller probably to raise the idle a bit for the extra load. It is never a good idea to go full lock on any power steering system.

If you feel you must have one, I am in the process of installing an inline 4 cylinder engine and do not have the room for the switch in the stock location. I intend to drill and tap the banjo bolt and install the switch into the bolt. The threads are 10mm x 1.0 pitch. I could also be completely wrong about all of this in which someone would be glad to point that out to you.
davesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrrh ok then I may just buy new switch & drill & tap the bolt also......maybe use an O-ring on the thread of the switch
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davesyncro wrote:
arrrh ok then I may just buy new switch & drill & tap the bolt also......maybe use an O-ring on the thread of the switch

The one I removed had a copper crush washer sealing it. So, the bolt will need to be drilled and tapped "square" to the bolt to get a good seal with a crush washer. Another option would be to drill and tap it for 1/8th inch pipe thread which is almost identical to 10 x 1.0 and the switch would seal on the threads as you tighten it and not be so critical to be drilled and tapped square.
davesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, no issues there time to wield about the hand operated drill Very Happy cheers rsxr, i'll pop a video up when I get this done & dusted a test video of the switch "hopefully" working
Vinzanto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to get my power steering back in action soon but the aforementioned switch has been filled by a bolt of the same size on my p.s. pump, and due to this I encounter the occasional stalling during hard, low speed turns.
I would like to replace the switch soon but cannot seem to find its female mate connector. Does this typically run from the ecu and bundled with the others? Or does it come from elsewhere?
If I do not receive a response in this semi-old post a may end up reposting with a fresh query.
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be common, but I have had one of these switches fail and short to ground. It did a number on the engine compartment wiring harness in the process. It's fed with a small wire, but the wire connects directly (with others), to a larger feeder wire in the black box. I splice a fuse in that wire now. YMMV
Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: