Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator Pedal Arm Stuck
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shokwave2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Accelerator Pedal Arm Stuck Reply with quote

Dropped my engine today to replace the rear tranny mounts, and while doing so i overlooked disconnecting the throttle cable from the carb (yes, silly me). I finally noticed after having trouble pulling the engine away from the car, so i disconnected it and went on my way. The cable seems ok, not broken up the engine end but after re-installing the engine the accelerator pedal arm is stuck and won't budge when i try to rev.

I pushed hard on the pedal at first and the pedal 'Z' linkage became disengaged, so i had to remove the pedal to get it all back together. I re-installed the pedal linkage and pedal and the same thing happened again.

Have i damaged or disconnected something by pulling on the accelerator cable at one end? And how do i get to the cable at the pedal end to check for damage? Car is right hand drive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about RHD pedal assemblies, but I would at least begin by pulling up your carpet and taking a look. If you wind up having to remove the entire pedal assembly it would a good time to look at your clutch cable eyelet and the clutch pedal shaft hook and replace if there's a lot of wear going on.

Last edited by Jody '71 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On LHD cars the accelerator comes out of a tube on the left side of the tunnel.

Not being familiar with RHD setups, does the accelerator pedal pass through the tunnel to operate the cable on the Left side?? Or did they weld the accelerator cable tube differently? Pull the carpet back and see how it hooks up. I'm sure a good ex British colony Mate that stills drives on the wrong side of the road will post the answer soon for you!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shokwave2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!
Here's what had happened: when i pulled on the cable too much at the engine end, it jammed the moulded end of the cable into the cable tubing and bent the tubing slightly. All it took was to whack the arm in the picture below with a hammer, and some pliers to bend the tubing straight, and it doesn't catch now.

Now just waiting for the wife to get home so i can borrow her car to go get some new cable.
remerus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shokwave2 wrote:
UPDATE!
Here's what had happened: when i pulled on the cable too much at the engine end, it jammed the moulded end of the cable into the cable tubing and bent the tubing slightly. All it took was to whack the arm in the picture below with a hammer, and some pliers to bend the tubing straight, and it doesn't catch now.

Now just waiting for the wife to get home so i can borrow her car to go get some new cable.

Thank you for this thread mate. I have a RHD bug and had an issue with a sticking throttle cable. I jacked the car up messed around with where the cable comes out of the tunnel and crosses the tranny looking for a snag, messed with the pedal cluster to see if it was binding and lubed it, checked where it comes through the fan shroud and linkages to the carb all to no avail.

Until I stumbled across this thread. there is a cover that is placed over the throttle cable arm that is illustrated in your picture above secured with the two bolts you have there. I took the cover off sprayed some WD 40 up the guide tube shown in the picture and bingo all fixed.

cover that is placed over the throttle cable arm

Once again thank you very much!!

Last edited by remerus on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
1964BugOwner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree make sure you have free movement from that mounting area, if you have to bend it slightly so be it and wd40 it.

20 Years Experience Aviation Structural Mechanic
Backyard Auto Mechanic (DYI)

”I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

" "
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: