Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shifter seal leak, more joyous experiences with suppliers...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Shifter seal leak, more joyous experiences with suppliers... Reply with quote

I had my transaxle rebuilt a few years ago. Now it has developed a weepy leak at the shifter seal.

I searched and it looks like pretty straightforward job, especially if I pull the trans, which I will be doing to replace clutch, pressure plate (and probably another $150.00 throwout bearing because of the stupid Smallcar setup which pushes the bearing out too far and destroys it... ask me why I despise Smallcar) Smallcar, of course refuses to supply me with another bearing (this will be my third)

I contacted the usual suspects to obtain the seal.

None would sell it unless I bought the $56+ rebuild kit will all the seals and gaskets.

Contacted German Transaxle who called me back and said they would sell me a shaft seal for $10 which is fine, but refused to put it in an envelope and ship it for a buck, instead they refused to ship it any way except Fedex for SEVENTEEN DOLLARS.

No thanks, and I will be sure to not recommend their service to anyone.

I have another call into another service, after that I reckon I will head over to the dealer who is actually starting to look pretty good.

If I listed every crap part and poor service I have had with Vanagon suppliers I would be here all day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, it's an $8 & a dime part at Van-café.
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_131
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
Dude, it's an $8 & a dime part at Van-café.
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_131

Thanks. I must have missed it there.

The firm that rebuilt my transaxle is sending me one.

That is why I used that firm to begin with.

I just get very frustrated at unbelievable stupidity like trying to charge $17 for shipping a seal, and the whole Smallcar debacle.

The bell housing is the last of the Smallcar items that I have yet to remove from my van, hopefully I can get rid of it as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SuperSamba Premium Member
Samba False Idol

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whine, use the whine thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=403725

Businesses using FedEx or UPS to protect themselves is very common and typically the result of fraudulent buyers in the past. Many businesses now require signature on delivery as well. This has come up multiple times in the past.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: