Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Usual word of warning re fuel lines
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stillbleedingmoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Usual word of warning re fuel lines Reply with quote

Went on a vey short trip around to my work and then back home, could smell fuel but that's nothing really unusual, so decided to look in the engine bay anyway. This is what greeted me

The pics however don't show it actually squirting out through numerous cracks 8O

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I am now in the process of changing it all for this stuff

Very lucky I think that we wasn't on a long journey as I wouldn't have known...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the hose?

It's it 4 months or 40 years?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing you found that now, keep an eye on the new hose, if it's the stuff from that Ebay seller over there (siliconehoseworld something or other I think) it not as J30R9 as it says it is, this was some after less than 6 months:

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
stillbleedingmoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hose in original pic was 6 months old Shocked

Last edited by stillbleedingmoody on Tue May 13, 2014 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stillbleedingmoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Good thing you found that now, keep an eye on the new hose, if it's the stuff from that Ebay seller over there (siliconehoseworld something or other I think) it not as J30R9 as it says it is, this was some after less than 6 months:

dont know if its the same stuff but i bought it from a very reputable spares shop
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the inside of some 6 year old hose that I replaced for no reason.

Looks new to me.

Ignore the cut.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stillbleedingmoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky you
vint43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent the last few months (literally) studying fuel hose as I am in the process of bringing multiple VWs back on the road and the time has come to select my fuel hose.

The issue with the braided "German" line is most is unmarked, ungraded, and provided by multiple manufacturers (some in Germany, some not) and distributors. Frankly, it is pot luck. Some suppliers and batches work fine and others implode after a few months. Given most is unmarked and ungraded, it means none of it has been tested under SAE standards. It is pure "buyer beware" and good luck. The quality of NBR rubber used in hoses varies by a large amount. A low quality NBR hose (that is cheap for the manufacturer) is just worthless with any blended fuels.

I have decided to never use ungraded, unmarked line that does not have a clear manufacturer printed on the hose. It is really the only way to be sure what you are getting and who stands behind it. Frankly, a manufacturer in China making cheap NBR hose has zero concern over liability in the USA. You will never even find them.

Even this has turned out not to be so easy. Some have claimed there is actually line being sold on eBay with fake markings. Frankly, it is crazy. So a known, trusted supplier is also required to avoid "fake" fuel hose.

There are several marked lines to select (I am sure there are more). Gates, Goodyear, Flennor, and Codan all provide clearly marked and labeled fuel line where you will know exactly what you are buying and who stands behind it.

I have decided to go with J30R9 supplied by Codan from Denmark. It has been a royal pain to get it from Europe but it is the only J30R9 fuel hose in the proper 5.6MM size I can find from a trusted manufacturer.

Flennor makes a 5mm hose but only J30R7 spec. Goodyear makes a great J30R9 line but you will have to use 1/4" (6.35MM) line. Same with Gates. A nice J30R14 line but either 3/16" (4.8MM) or 1/4" hose. I feel Gates is a very stiff line so 3/16" is almost impossible to make work if you have any 1/4" connections (like a fuel filter).

If you convert all connections to 1/4" the quality domestic options are plentiful for good fuel hose. I would go with Goodyear J30R9 in a heartbeat if I had all 1/4" connections.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lost faith in almost any hose and after importing that metric stuff from the UK and seeing it too breaking down after a few months I don't trust any single layer hose anymore rated or not, some of the plain old German braided lasts forever yet another batch is wet all over in a few weeks, no consistancy. I've resorted to only using hose with an obvious inner liner like the Goodyear stuff now, so far so good, just wish it came in metric sizes.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Gates brand 3/16" hose for several years and it seems to hold up pretty well, even with the new gasolines.

Sometimes it's hard to remove. If it's been on there for a long time you may have to cut it off; I guess that could be considered a good thing too.

I feel like the 1/4 inch hose is just too big for factory fuel fittings.
I have accidently pulled loose my hose from the bottom of the tank while working on something under the bus; luckily I was able to pull the fuel tap half-way out and stop the flow quickly. What a mess though.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/16" does fit better if you can find it but most FLAPS don't stock it, the 1/4" is a bit of a challenge to make stay on stock smooth fittings but works very well on things like the Brazilian fuel pumps with the bead on the end of the nipples. I've got a beading tool so aside from the carb inlet I can add a bump to the end of most of the lines Wink

Слава Україні!
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had great success with the 5mm fuel injection line from worldpac
Culito

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep saying this, but you can't go wrong with Gates nylon reinforced hose.
I've used the braided, and I've even used expensive fuel injection line, and the regular Gates stuff has always outlasted everything. Even the 1/4" stuff is strong and pliable enough that pulling it down with clamps does not hurt it in the least.

Carry on.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
I've used the braided, and I've even used expensive fuel injection line, and the regular Gates stuff has always outlasted everything. Even the 1/4" stuff is strong and pliable enough that pulling it down with clamps does not hurt it in the least.

Carry on.

Link to where to buy it?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

left_coast*9 wrote:
Culito wrote:

Carry on.

Link to where to buy it?

Orielly Auto Parts carries it http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GATR/2700...+fuel+hose.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vint43 wrote:
I have decided to go with J30R9 supplied by Codan from Denmark. It has been a royal pain to get it from Europe but it is the only J30R9 fuel hose in the proper 5.6MM size I can find from a trusted manufacturer.

This sounds like the ticket as any hose measured I.D. is always smaller than the stated diameter. All normal VW gas pipes and in/outlets are 6mm that I've measured. The aftermarket fuel pump pipes are 6.5mm.

If you use the hose tell how it fits and how the outer diameter is compared to braided's outer diameter. I see the picture in the top post and it looks killer close.

sub-hatchtim wrote:
I have had great success with the 5mm fuel injection line from worldpac

Picture or link? Is this the Flennor stuff?
vint43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
vint43 wrote:

This sounds like the ticket as any hose measured I.D. is always smaller than the stated diameter. All normal VW gas pipes and in/outlets are 6mm that I've measured. The aftermarket fuel pump pipes are 6.5mm.

If you use the hose tell how it fits and how the outer diameter is compared to braided's outer diameter. I see the picture in the top post and it looks killer close.

I do not believe the above line is the Codan fuel hose. The hose above does not have a manufacturer's mark from what I can tell (could just be the pic). The Codan fuel hose is clearly marked "Codan". Here is the spec for the Codan hose. It states 12 MM OD but it is closer to 12.2 MM OD for the 5.6MM ID.

http://www.codan.com/codan_dk/cat_Industrislanger/product_link.asp?no=3133

Personally, I do not trust fuel line that does that have a clear manufacturer's mark as I have no idea who made the line and if the stated standard is even true (if it is printed at all).

From my research, it appears Codan has a solid reputation in Europe. I personally prefer dealing with a known manufacturer and confirming whoever sells the line is a legit supplier for that manufacturer.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, you are stating that the 5.6mm hose pictured by stillbleedingmoody and busdaddy is not the 5.6mm Codan. I see by your link picture that it is clearly not.
vint43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Just to be clear, you are stating that the 5.6mm hose pictured by stillbleedingmoody and busdaddy is not the 5.6mm Codan. I see by your link picture that it is clearly not.

Correct. I believe they purchased some generic J30R9 hose from a UK source to get the MM size (at least I have found a similar hose advertised by some UK sellers looking at these pics - it was not branded - I think it might be the same stuff). Only they can confirm.

From the picture, this is not the branded Codan hose I am buying.

I believe it is like picking up some "generic" 1/4" J30R9 hose here locally at a FLAPS vs. buying a Goodyear J30R9 hose. I prefer the clearly branded stuff when it comes to fuel hose. The non-branded stuff is pot luck to me. The non-branded stuff sold on eBay is even worse then pot luck in my opinion because even the distributor is a mystery (so you are not sure where it is made, how it was sourced, and who is really selling it - again, in my conservative opinion - I am sure others have had success with this).

From my research, Codan is a well known European rubber manufacturer that sells clearly branded and graded hose in MM sizes.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, no makers mark on that UK hose, only the printed on numbering/lettering and an embossed date every foot 180 degrees from the printed stuff. It was ~4 years ago I got that stuff and at the time I was pretty stoked that anything rated like that was available in metric, glad I only got a couple meters, lesson learned.

Here's another option with some real branded stuff: https://www.belmetric.com/metric-hoses-multifuel-h...6pohhud3a1
I'm told BMW also has a good hose in thier parts department but I'm not sure it's available as small as you'd need for a carbed bus.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: