Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new engine build
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: new engine build Reply with quote

I have a 71 super and i am getting ready to do an engine and trany replacement. I am not sure weather i should have it built or just buy a kit and do it myself. I think i am able to do it myself but i have never built a bug motor before. It does not seem that much more money to have it built. Also i live in Pueblo Colorado and i am thinking of using Painters Grind. Is there any thoughts on that? I have read more bad than good about them it seems. Also thought about just ordering a complete kit from aircooled but they have not answered my e-mail? I have a limited budget and want to get the most for my money. Any word of abvise? Thanks
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent an email to them before and it took a couple days. Just be patient. I'm sure they'll get to it.

As for whether to build or buy, it really depends on your confidence to build the engine. If you don't have all the special tools, expect to drop at least 500 in tools (stand, dial indicator or flywheel endplay tool, torque dude, ring compressor, torque wrenches, calipers, cc tool, deck height tool or depth micrometer, 0-1"/1-2"/2-3" inside micrometers, clutch alignment tool, dial bore gauge, lifter clips, sealants, etc.).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Art Thraen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painters grinding is a good shop.. Trust them and follow their advise..

They have great machine work and great employees.

I would have them do the build... EXPERENCE !

Last edited by Art Thraen on Wed May 14, 2014 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much money do you want to invest in tools? It is far cheaper to buy a longblock one time then it is to invest in all the tools and then buy the parts and build it yourself. Now if your going to build several engines then the tool investment will pay for itself.

Painters Grindings is top quality shop.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
blp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that is great advice. I have a few of the tools but nothing specific to the air cooled motor.
75smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blp wrote:
Thanks that is great advice. I have a few of the tools but nothing specific to the air cooled motor.

the only tools that are really specific to VW is a proper Deck height tool, a ring compressor, and torque dude

all can be worked around with a little ingenuity

My engine build
sambabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time, money, and space are the questions to ask yourself. Whatever you think you budget is, double it. If your're going to do it yourself try to get everything together before starting the build. Don't try it without the usual recommended books.
1971 Westy, 2017cc 78.4 x 90.5 Tims Stage 1 plus 42x37, CB 44IDF's, 135 mains, 175 airs, F111, 50 idles, Engle 110, 30mm, 009, single QP, DD CHT 300*f, VDO oil always 180* Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541370
1970 convertible bug, 1835cc, single 40IDF, disks.
Symptoms Solved and Fixed http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551358
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: