Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T Bracket hitch for bicycle to engine mount
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRealSean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: T Bracket hitch for bicycle to engine mount Reply with quote

So I just impulisvely bought this hitch
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
on craigslist for $50. The previous owner replaced it with a fiamma. Does anyone use this as well? I plan on putting a bike rack to it and putting one road bike and one mountain bike. I just am not sure how comfortable I am mounting the T bracket to the engine mount. Would it have enough structural integrity? When I attach the hitch do I need to put something under the engine to support the weight when I unscrew the bolts from the mount. Thanks.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a Vano Hitch, the T-bracket is bolted to the mustache bar, not the engine itself, it means to help the support for downward weight a bit... otherwise the tow loop will bend.

you will be OK for 2 bicycles or a luggage rack weighting no more than 300 lbs

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
WestiCoast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used one of those withougt the mustache bar bracket. I didn't put a lot of weight on it though. Just bicycles.
TheRealSean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I am picking up a used rear bumper from WestyWerks today too. So the backend is getting a refresh.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I attach the hitch do I need to put something under the engine to support the weight when I unscrew the bolts from the mount

no you don't need anything to support the engine when you bolt the hitch on.. it's very easy to install... a drop of Loctite would be nice because vibrations may loose the bold after a while
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that if all your are carrying is two bicycles the hitch unsupported would work fine just attached to the toe eyes on the bumper brackets.

To me the down side of tying into the engine support bar is it would be possible even in a small fender bender to transfer load/damage into the engine mounting. Not good.

Mount it up with just the bumper eyes, load your bikes on and see for yourself if it is supported enough.
TheRealSean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll try it without the t mount... Most of the time I'll actually only be carrying my road bike which is a cool 20-25 lbs.
redeyeksc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up, I had the same question after doing my engine swap. I have very light bikes and a very light bike rack (thule T2).

Mike Wiehl <[email protected]>
Feb 3

to me
Hi Alex,

Without the connection to the motor mount bracket the hitch will want to twist downward from the tongue weight of the bike rack. You will most likely bend the tow hooks and damage the bumper bracket. In order to use the hitch properly the connection to the motor mount bracket must be made. Thanks.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeyeksc wrote:
Just a heads up, I had the same question after doing my engine swap. I have very light bikes and a very light bike rack (thule T2).

Mike Wiehl <[email protected]>
Feb 3

to me
Hi Alex,

Without the connection to the motor mount bracket the hitch will want to twist downward from the tongue weight of the bike rack. You will most likely bend the tow hooks and damage the bumper bracket. In order to use the hitch properly the connection to the motor mount bracket must be made. Thanks.

A minor quibble.. The tow hooks are not going to bend from the leveraging of the bike rack.. What happens is that the bolts that fit in the tow loop slot work their way down in the slot and the hitch tilts down ward some, as a result.. Use of the support bar holds the hitch up and in so the bolts do not work their way back down the tow loop.

Personally I'd not use the GW hitch with out the support bar. (if being used to hold a hitch/rack accessory)

I towed ridiculous weight with the GW hitch.. and used it to hold a 4 bike rack. It is bomb proof for what it is..
But the real solution is a proper frame mount hitch as built by the likes of RMW and Burley Motorsports.

They cost a few bucks more, but its a "real" tow hitch that will hold properly..
The GW set up is a compromise design. But it will get he job done.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: