Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spray in liner?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Spray in liner? Reply with quote

whats everyones thoughts or opinions on havin a spray in bed liner put into there thing cause in thinkin bout doin it to my car. possibly in the trunk area and the engine compartment too so please give me ur thoughts
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit that I considered doing this to mine. I have a friend that sprayed the inside of a jeep and it looks sweet and he's really happy with it. In the end I opted against it because I wasn't sure I would be happy with the texture on a long term basis and I figured any future rust issues would be a pain to deal with. Of course I ended up powder coating which also also makes any future rust a pain, but I'm rather hoping it never rusts again. If you do decide to spray I would definately go with a well known name brand or do a bunch of research, as I've shoveled D-1 out of a rhino lined pickup bed and never hurt it, where as the Duplicolor type aerosol liner I sprayed my trailer with will scratch almost on its own. Once again it seems you get what you pay for.
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that you mention this. As it turns out, my '73 is undergoing this very thing as we speak. I brought it into the shop last week to finally get all the bodywork done (been in the works for a few years now), and the shop owner actually suggested doing this. I'm having it done to my inner floor pans & tunnel, and the trunk. From what I understand, the process is similar to undercoating. First, that layer gets sprayed on, followed by the color, and finally a clear topcoat. I'll let you know how it turns out in a week or so, when I get my Thing back. While I like the idea reducing road noise and preventing rust, I'm really in it for the extra durability in high-wear areas, like the trunk and floors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking about doing my floors with truck bed liner. I don't have mats and it get really slippery, I was think the bed liner would add a little traction.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it! My outer rocker panels were sprayed with something similar, and all it did was allow the metal to deteriorate unnoticed for longer than it normally would have. When it finally burst through the "protective" layer, it was in the form of a 6' long tear in the rotten metal, requiring the purchase of a new panel. IMHO, for an F150, who cares? The junkyards are full of metal for stuff like that. Thing metal is too valuable. I want to be able to see the rust in it's infancy, so I can get rid of it ASAP. Thing ownership isn't about rust prevention as much as it's about rust management. Of course, I live in New England, so that doesn't apply everywhere.
ThingDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Spray In Liner Reply with quote

I had my offroad thing sprayed inside from the doors down and like it a lot -easy clean up and it also helped quiet down the car somewhat. Mother to get it off in the future, though, if you want to make any changes. Pic in the gallery FYI.
wackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well obviously im gonna get rid of the rust before i spray the stuff in which should prevent it from rusting anyway but when i do it ill take pics and show everyone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: