Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are car stereos for our vans becoming obsolete?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: USB memory card Reply with quote

I got a box-new Alpine in-dash last spring and guess what? Apple changed the iPhone plug and made my new stereo obsolete.

So I decided to just use the USB stick feature to play digital music, no more iPhone connectivity headaches. And what I discovered is I like it lot better. The whole iPhone thing is so overrated anyway. I would recommend to skip stereos that feature proprietary music sources and stick to generic sources like USB. The more on-screen control of USB music you get the better your playback will be.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
DH (computer programmer) said save your money. Pono is complete and udder rubbish. It is based on a misunderstanding on how things work. People thing bigger numbers=better sound and it's not the case in this particular case.

You can read this if you want to learn more:
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Let me know if he's wrong when it comes out and you're trying it, it's always fun to tell him he was wrong. Twisted Evil

tam
ThankYouJerry wrote:
Simply get a new deck with BT capabilities (with or without a CD player). CDs are sooooooo 1981.

BTW… you may want a receiver that also has a 1/8" aux jack for your new Pono player coming this December Very Happy ! Don't know what Pono is? Search for it on Kickstarter.com.

Some new speakers will stoke you out too. I like Focal speakers.

Sorry, no single BT speaker is gonna take the place of a good car stereo system any time soon. Nor do you want that speaker flying through your van during an accident. But, they can be nice when camping. Check out the Big Jambox.

Go ahead and tell your dh that is an old article, old news, and he is wrong. Sorry, way too many "computer programmers", musicians, artists, and regular old people with regular old ears, and millions of $ behind this for one guy to be right and hundreds to be wrong. I don't know about you (or dh) but to me there is a night and day difference between MP3 and vinyl. I'm willing to make a wager that there is a significantly noticeable difference between MP3 and Pono.

All these people are hallucinating, and dh is right? Maybe. I'll take the wager when dh is ready.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/po...=discovery

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Thu May 15, 2014 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here a pic of my setup. I have a lot of stuff that need to be done on the van so this will do while I can focus finish other task. Before ppl said that its dangerous when you get into an accident. That is my least of my worry, usually i have couple surfboard inside and plus other heavy stuff.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm NOT that picky as long as the sound is good & i don't listen that much to music anyway. Bought a NOS Jenson radio(flea mkt) & the heaven forbid, cassett player. Top of line 4 the times and quiet modern in it's options/operations, hit a button & it scans ALL available FM & AM until presets r full,aux jack 4 the times i take my '80's CD's along 4 some good jazz, blues or even some 'country corn'. Already had a good , i made em, collection of tapes & i still HI-speed copy CD's to cass 4 something i want available 4 listening. Not hashing the new but as long as it does the job to MY satisfaction & also cheap i can spend that savings on the westy, a win-win. I did get a new Galaxy tablet, does what my old big box computer does, but don't have that 'character' , it's gonna go to the junkyard in the sky soon, mt 2-cts.
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
> one of my front door speakers cutting in and out on bumps, I’ve been thinking that’s it time to upgrade the stereo

if there is a loose wire or dying speaker, buying a new stereo or media player, won't fix the speaker, speakers and choice of stereo are separate issues

Yeah, I imagine it is probably a worn speaker wire where the door hinges, but the stereo has some issues too, and I'd like to be able to use BT. I also figure that if I'm going to go to the trouble to replace speakers and string new wire, I might as well deal with the stereo as well.

ZanaEvyPapa wrote:
Speaking from experience of using a high-quality BT Boombox in my van...
While it was plenty loud in my house, once I got it into the van and rolling at 55mph, the road/wind/engine noise completely overwhelmed it. Don't get me wrong, you could hear it, but the fact that the sound was coming from one location (instead of 4 or more with a traditional stereo setup) the boombox had to be turned way up to the point where it felt like it was yelling at me. With a proper speaker arrangement you get the fully encompassing sound that fills the van.

This was the question in my mind. Good to hear from a few who have tried this.
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpabegg wrote:
I recently installed this little guy in my van and love it. Probably not what you were originally thinking, but works great with digital media. Fits well in the dash area with plenty of room back there, due to its smaller size.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iaSzOAN3Y22/p_130X560BT/Pioneer-MVH-X560BT.html

Just put this one in last weekend purchased from Amazon.
I haven't played a CD in a decade except to make digital files; the quality is what you make of it. The quality of CD recordings isn't all that great anyway.

My first week review is that it was worth the ~ $100.
The BT phone sounds great! I've spent more than this over the last 2 years for other handsfree substitutes that didn't work very well.
My estimate is that the radio reception and sound quality is much better than the 4 year old pioneer I replaced.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
VANGAUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Are car stereos for our vans becoming extinct? Reply with quote

I installed a radio and remote control purchased directly from Custom Radio with AM/FM/CD/MP3 and weather band that fits the Vanagon. The black color and the white & silver trim matches the knobs, levers, etc. on the dash and I think the radio looks like it came with the van.

They have many configurations of AM/FM, CD, WB, USB, Bluetooth, 512M Memory. Since the remote was only $7, I ordered it not expecting to use it much but find it very useful.

It is not a brand that I have heard of but found it for sale on a site that sells heavy duty radios for big trucks, buses, etc. I searched for the manufacturer, called them, asked lots of questions and purchased one of their models directly from them.

To see their radios, go to: Custom Radio Corporation http://customradio.net/us_en/products-page/truck/

If interested in ordering from them or asking questions, call the number (1-800-659-8093) at the bottom of their product page and you will probably talk to Sherry.

The face plate is the exact size as the original radio in our '91 Westy and the depth of the radio is almost exactly the size of the original radio so there was no problem making the radio fit. I did have to bend that back support but it was not a problem.

You will also need an adapter for the antenna if you have the original European version antenna. Since the radio has two power wires (main and accessory) you do need to tie in to the key-in wire from the ignition switch. After that, when the key is out, the radio is off.

I purchased the following from an ebay seller to complete the installation.
Wiring Harness Adapter -- Metra 70-1784 Metra Harness for $4.75 delivered
Antenna Adapter --- Metra 40VW10 Metra Antenna Adapter for $4.95 delivered

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Are car stereos for our vans becoming extinct? Reply with quote

Vanagaux, and how do you like it/it sounds?
I've been quite interested in one of these but haven't had the time to focus attention to the radio..
there's alot on them in this thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509998&highlight=weather+band

VANGAUX wrote:
I installed a radio and remote control purchased directly from Custom Radio with AM/FM/CD/MP3 and weather band that fits the Vanagon. The black color and the white & silver trim matches the knobs, levers, etc. on the dash and I think the radio looks like it came with the van.

They have many configurations of AM/FM, CD, WB, USB, Bluetooth, 512M Memory. Since the remote was only $7, I ordered it not expecting to use it much but find it very useful.

It is not a brand that I have heard of but found it for sale on a site that sells heavy duty radios for big trucks, buses, etc. I searched for the manufacturer, called them, asked lots of questions and purchased one of their models directly from them.

To see their radios, go to: Custom Radio Corporation http://customradio.net/us_en/products-page/truck/

If interested in ordering from them or asking questions, call the number (1-800-659-8093) at the bottom of their product page and you will probably talk to Sherry.

The face plate is the exact size as the original radio in our '91 Westy and the depth of the radio is almost exactly the size of the original radio so there was no problem making the radio fit. I did have to bend that back support but it was not a problem.

You will also need an adapter for the antenna if you have the original European version antenna. Since the radio has two power wires (main and accessory) you do need to tie in to the key-in wire from the ignition switch. After that, when the key is out, the radio is off.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VANGAUX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Are car stereos for our vans becoming extinct? Reply with quote

We have had the radio for two years now and are very pleased with the radio, the sound, its looks, and the ease of operation. Our van has the original Vanagon speakers and we use the radio or CD primarily when driving and really would not expect great sound out of anything in our van with normal road noise as background. We do use it in the mornings or evenings when camping and again, it is fine for us. We have a Crutchfield in our town and I looked at all of their radios and to my eyes, I could not stand all of the glitz, flashing lights, etc. and just wanted something to blend in.

We have a high end audio system at home so we know what good sounds are, but our expectations in noisy vehicles are not very high.

And you are correct in that the other thread provides much more detail about these radios.

danfromsyr wrote:
Vanagaux, and how do you like it/it sounds?
I've been quite interested in one of these but haven't had the time to focus attention to the radio..
there's alot on them in this thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509998&highlight=weather+band

VANGAUX wrote:

bdcain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if only i could burn the streaming files to cd like this show

https://archive.org/details/gd90-03-19.prefm-sbd.sacks.1526.sbeok.shnf

i would not need a tape player for all my dead bootlegs Very Happy
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdcain wrote:

What you said!!!
vwmaniaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why talk about Radio/CD being obsolete when the whole van is obsolete and brings me great pleasure with it being that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
bdcain wrote:

What you said!!!

Gosh, I have a file cabinet drawer full of bootlegs that I spent countless hours trading for. Now that I can play Archive.org through my home stereo, and soon from my iphone into my van's stereo, I'm debating what to do with them. Seems heartbreaking to get rid of them but I honestly haven't dropped one into the tapedeck in over a year.
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
tarandusVDub wrote:
bdcain wrote:

What you said!!!

Gosh, I have a file cabinet drawer full of bootlegs that I spent countless hours trading for. Now that I can play Archive.org through my home stereo, and soon from my iphone into my van's stereo, I'm debating what to do with them. Seems heartbreaking to get rid of them but I honestly haven't dropped one into the tapedeck in over a year.

It is pretty easy to rip tapes to digital format. Any of the analog outputs from your stereo into your computer audio input will do. On the nerd scale it is only about a 5.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Are car stereos for our vans becoming extinct? Reply with quote

VANGAUX wrote:
I installed a radio and remote control purchased directly from Custom Radio

Like that! Very cool! Wish it had iPod/Pandora integration. Anybody know of a similar unit with this functionality?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeebee wrote:
[It is pretty easy to rip tapes to digital format. Any of the analog outputs from your stereo into your computer audio input will do. On the nerd scale it is only about a 5.

Yeah, I've done it to a few but it's still time consuming. I was also chastised to "not pollute the digital gene pool with analog-to-digital conversions". Some people are more geeky about that stuff than others I suppose. I would need to check but would almost bet that most, if not all, of the good shows I have could be found in higher quality online.

Back to the OP though, I can see a day when car stereos are simply a dock for your phone etc. The reason a "real" stereo is not obsolete for my Westy is that I require a remote control of some sort so I can play with the stereo from the kitchen area of my van.
Alaska-Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be resurrecting a Pioneer AM/FM Cassette that was installed in a previous vehicle. It should be perfect for an 83 GL.

But I'd rather have a split bus. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdcain wrote:

You bet!

I was at that show.... Laughing

Alpine mech-less ...workee well for streaming

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ute-42bt
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - who wants to buy my cassette deck Very Happy
bdcain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mellowslow wrote:
bdcain wrote:

You bet!

I was at that show.... Laughing

Alpine mech-less ...workee well for streaming

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ute-42bt

does that not need to be online?
i need a copy to roam in the Forrest at night! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: