Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VIN Tag During Restoration
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
49vwsplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: VIN Tag During Restoration Reply with quote

If removing the VIN tag off the body is so easy how can anyone trust a matching numbers pan & body?

Look at this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What is the correct method of removing the original rivets to spray new paint? Do you save them somehow and re-install the same ones or buy repros?
These look like everyday self tapping sheet metal screws Shocked
Is that even legal?
Driver: It's OK officer, I don't wear glasses..I have contacts.
Officer: I don't care WHO you know!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tag number matches the tunnel number then it doesn't matter if it has been off. The tags on my squarebacks are all riveted on, so I think yours has already been removed and screwed back on. I don't even care about matching pan & body as long as it runs! Very Happy
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Der Speed Shack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike maybe in oregon matching numbers dont matter, but here in california if the chp discovers on the road, instant impound until they run the numbers to see if anything is stolen. If it comes back ok, they will issue you a new vin on a ugly ass sticker which pretty much de-values the car by half. the tag in the pics above has been tec screwed on and will throw up red flags to police or dmv workers checking it. the stock rivets, once installed, will be hollow, meaning the pull pin will not be inside the rivet once it is compressed. I have never seen these for sale at any specialty hardware store, maybe someone else has
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there absolutely correct rivets to use when a VIN tag is removed and mounted on a different body?

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubspeedshack wrote:
Mike maybe in oregon matching numbers dont matter, but here in california if the chp discovers on the road, instant impound until they run the numbers to see if anything is stolen. If it comes back ok, they will issue you a new vin on a ugly ass sticker which pretty much de-values the car by half. the tag in the pics above has been tec screwed on and will throw up red flags to police or dmv workers checking it. the stock rivets, once installed, will be hollow, meaning the pull pin will not be inside the rivet once it is compressed. I have never seen these for sale at any specialty hardware store, maybe someone else has

I didn't say 'matching numbers'. I said 'matching pan & body', that the OP seems to be concerned about. He has matching numbers, but wonders if he might have a whole different body on the pan? That's very unlikely I would guess. If it's a different front end or whole body if the pan & body numbers match it is legal even in CA. I dealt with the Redding, CA DMV plenty of times in the past. The Redding Police impounded my Honda 250 scrambler because it had consecutive frame & engine numbers rather than matching. It took them 9 days to determine that Honda used consecutive numbers at that time, but I still had to pay storage! Mad
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed mine. I'm currently in the destruction stage of my Ghia but I wanted to clean the tag and polish it up. I'll use regular pop rivets to put it back.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
srm1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello 49vwsplit

If you want it to look all OG then you need to get the repop / replacement rivets from Ricardo. They come in a set of 4 (split tag), but you'll have a couple extra to practice on.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=483999

The only problem I see is that the self taper screws may have made the holes on the VIN tag to big for the replacement rivet to bit on. But you never know. Worth a shot.

I know some specialty hardware stores sell small mushroom rivets.

My VW motto is - Out with the OLD. In with the EVEN OLDER !!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: