Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first TDI swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90 I am working with, I was able to remove the entire engine harness intact including the relay box and the idle control unit. I had to move the rear bed/seat forward to get the ECU plug room to fit through the hole in the firewall. My thinking was at some point, someone might need the harness or need to convert this van back if it actually ends up on the road someday.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I pulled my entire wiring harness too. Just some wires left inside the black box in the engine bay. I then used the key on power that goes to the coil to power my 109 relay.

The harness comes out complete, from the fuel pump to the idle relay.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any status updates? I'm curious about your plans for the auto trans. I need to make up my mind soon, and since you're planning something similar, I need you to make up my mind...no pressure...but do it soon.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Zeitgeist?

What did you mean about the auto, specifically?

The lever to throttle body WBX is no longer.. meaning the only way to connect the gas pedal to cable, through body, to trans.. pulls on the vane that allows downshift.

Getting that to sync with the TDI engine management is no huge task.

Far easier than people think it is.

Cam plates+ Heim joint+ cable to automatic vane lever, then use the standard gasser connection.

I will use the stock cable, through body, to auto vane lever.. then connect to a pivot, change the direction of the pull.. 90 degrees.. to a box mounted to forward engine bay "skirt" which is all getting cut out.. as in where the old coolant distribution pipe bolts through the steel, all that's toast. I am going to cut it all out.

Once its opened up.. and I'm going to make more storage in that bay.. so I can put my toolbox in there.

To speak to the Two cam plates which will be temporary to get it dialed in.. I envision two adjustable sandwich plate that you can then ALTER on the fly, perhaps with butterfly nuts.. clamping the two together, loosen them for adjustment.. overall throw will be adjusted with various holes through the cam plates. I see the last step as try and retry freeway driving to figure out where that cam adjustment is.. OR.. perhaps I can just not use the vane at all.

The way I see that, is to manually move the throttle position sensor while in neutral, mark the cam plate with a reference to RPM.. then since kickdown produces an audible CLICK on the transmission.. to really just play with the adjustment to fine tune.

I opted for the MK3 style potentiometer so I have options. I did not use the MK4 pedal cluster.

Think.. one immovable camplate bolted to the MK3 style potentiometer, then.. the top plate will have a Heim joint.. just like a radio controlled airplane.. and allow movement.

So.. that's really it. Any other suggestions?

It is merely a connection which I don't know WHAT rate is going to be ideal.. no one has stated how to make that connection.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering what mods you might be planning for the autobox itself. I'm going mTDI, so the throttle is a relatively minor issue. My current thinking is 3.27 R&P + TBD + Audi turbo trans section, and possibly an adjustment to the stall speed of the torque converter. It's either all that, or have my manual box built up with a 4.14 R&P and custom 3/4 gears

y u rune klassik?
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, its already rebuilt by germantransaxle, thought I mentioned that early in my post.

they did the stall update for the torque converter, a full build... and I got a 3.73.. which I think is good enough.. This audi turbo trans section sounds ideal.. but.. I'm not about to dump another 4500 on a build.. that's about what it took.. not including the cooler.

I'll rock it till the training wheels fly off.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, reading and reading comprehension aren't my strong suits.

y u rune klassik?
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My glaucoma isn't helping either.. ehem.. yea.

No worry..

This is on the sideline.. I'm trying to find a machinist in Seattle area... any suggestions on a reliable guy? I was going to head out to Greg Henrys in Carnation.. but he's still outta state..

and my cabrio.. daily.. is undergoing a clutch job.. and the damned tranny wont come out. taking that to weekend two.. and to the next... level.

:)Zeitgeist, where are you in your mTdi setup?
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:

If anyone has done this modification to their swap.. Thus, lowering the forward mount cradle, I would really like to talk with you, learn more about what you did, if you'd be willing to share.

Just caught up on your thread. This is a cool project, will be watching for updates.

I lowered my 4sp/waterboxer 1" to alleviate stress on the CV's due to lifted ride height. I used 2 pieces of 1" square tubing sandwiched between the trans mount and the frame, and drilled for the 4 bolts to pass through. Currently preparing an AEB 1.8T to swap into my 2wd. When I do I'll lower the trans mount further to replicate the Syncro mounting height. My build thread is in my sig line, starting halfway down page 16.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:

:)Zeitgeist, where are you in your mTdi setup?

Well, the good news is that it's back up and running due to full funding, but the bad news is that I'm currently swamped with other projects. So, I'm presently in research and parts acquisition mode. The transmission option is the most vexing, as it is a major alteration, and there's no going back once I start pulling triggers. One of the things I like about autos, is that I can actually service them to a significant extent. The manuals are only for wizards and pixies with special wands and unicorn harnesses.

y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a died-in-the-wool manual transmission snob for many years and have gradually veered toward automatics due to my wife's preference. Having both a manual and an automatic TDI vanagon I was surprised to find that I prefer driving the automatic. The only downside I see is a decrease in fuel economy with the automatic.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, do you have any good data-logging for the relative RPMs vs road speeds with the 3.73 R&P? It turns out that the Bluestar is probably going to see a fair amount of family truckster miles on the interstates, and I'm still vacillating between getting a 3.73 vs a 3.27

y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't. My tach is still not functional on that van. I have a diesel pulse adapter and a timing light with tach function, but the cord doesn't reach to the front of the van ad I haven't remembered to have someone sit in the back with it. I'll try to do that.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, when I bought the setup, sent in the trans for rebuild.. the 3.27 wasn't available..

I guess I could also go to a taller tire and that may also further reduce rpms.. but.. eh.. I have to use these new nokians up.. first. Smile

I'm in parts acquisition too, directing all my finances at the project.. my next hurdle is the fastforward harness.. I'd been slacking on getting him the ecu.. once that's outta the way, going to drop off the engine at the machinist.. and then its ordering all the reassembly parts.. new timing kit, bearings, seals and rings, then.. on to assembly.. I need to get the engine reassembled...

I am still unsure what sort of mounts I am going to use.. but I'd thought about something fully replaceable, off the shelf.. something that offers OE VW stock.. or upgraded versions.

My vw cabrio has this mount.. which I found is available in a variety of shore strength rubber..Urethane, even Delrin.. I also think the tab.bolt down design with a center stud is ideal.. offers ease of mounting.. I could build a bracketing system that hangs on two or three of these per side.. course I think three may be overkill.. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its all custom buildup.. so I am open to ideas on that if anyone has a easy way to tackle that. Again, I do need to be able to find something off shelf, going from rubber stock, to possibly harder urethane, again, its an unknown vibration component in my mind.. a variable.. I really want to restrain the engine, and isolate the vibration.. future serviceability also comes to mind..

Hmm.

Memorial day weekend has me in some blues.. I badly want to be camping.. with my van.. but i have a ways to go.. then the interior has to be completed..

My willpower is waning at the moment.. the rest of my weeknd is set to working on a clutch job for the daily.. ehh.

This isn't helping my campfire needs.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check my build thread you can see how I'm using Passat 1.8t mounts and LS mounting arm. Inexpensive and easily acquired.

[edit]Now that I'm back from the road, I can post up a couple pics:

y u rune klassik?
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update.. I've been in a holding pattern for nearly three months with good progress where I'm able.

I shelved the project to save up the cash to complete the next round.. The machinist..

I already have the engine, the harness, the Kennedy plate..

In the past months, steady weekend project work has been done..

Cleaning, removing old bits.. trying to keep the willpower focused due to competing career/schooling.

Just got the harness in from Fastforward.ca last week.. I cant say enough.. damn that thing looks great.

I'd been acquiring parts for the completion, soon to order the integrals, rings, seal kits, send the turbo and pump in for inspection, new seals. I cant really call it "rebuild" as much as clean/inspect.

I rent a place, so I needed to find a house and garage and had monumental issues getting these two places in one.. Finally found it.. 1.5 miles from work! So.. great news, 0 commute, that time can be spent working on the van.

The garage/site has to be prepared as it is a bit dank, bugged up, spiders everywhere.. I HATE SPIDERS.

So, my plan is to prep the garage, get a pressurewasher, my air compressor, a facemask.. brush clean and blow out, then pressurewash the garage and get it prepped for the van to be moved from its rental two car to a carport adjacent to the garage..

I'm going to build up a quick freestanding bench for my tools and a worksurface this week after work.. luckily Homedepot does custom cuts on wood.. will do a basic 2x4 and CDX countertop..

I'm so stoked but also a bit bummed out by the delays..

Eyeing swag on Gowesty for motivation.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Just buy a donor. I bought an '02 Jetta for around $2k, and then stripped it of all the parts I'd need, while selling off the remainder. I now have the engine sitting on a stand awaiting more $, but my total outlay is just around $800, after selling off the remainder. Lots of the automatics are dying right about now, which leaves plenty of great donor vehicles 'cause the owners are frightened by the cost of a replacement tranny.

You can say that again. My 02 Jetta TDI auto transmission failed last year & I was quoted 3-4k on a replacement.

I ended up installing a German 6 speed manual trans conversion (link below) It was about the same cost as the auto - but a manual is sooo much better with a TDI. Another plus is the 6th gear. At 80 mph, I think the rpm is around 2100. My avg MPG went from 39 to about 48.

I may pull the ALH out of my Jetta later on for my syncro project.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=373687
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4x4BNB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Just buy a donor. I bought an '02 Jetta for around $2k, and then stripped it of all the parts I'd need, while selling off the remainder. I now have the engine sitting on a stand awaiting more $, but my total outlay is just around $800, after selling off the remainder. Lots of the automatics are dying right about now, which leaves plenty of great donor vehicles 'cause the owners are frightened by the cost of a replacement tranny.

You can say that again. My 02 Jetta TDI auto transmission failed last year & I was quoted 3-4k on a replacement.

I ended up installing a German 6 speed manual trans conversion (link below) It was about the same cost as the auto - but a manual is sooo much better with a TDI. Another plus is the 6th gear. At 80 mph, I think the rpm is around 2100. My avg MPG went from 39 to about 48.

I may pull the ALH out of my Jetta later on for my syncro project.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=373687

Yes!! And the auto's have an 11mm IP!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Dubbs, my TDI swap is also on hold, but due to the kitchen remodel from hell. One way to get yourself easy ready made garage work benches and storage, is to use old kitchen base cabinets, which can often be had for cheap or free. For bench tops, I use heavy solid core doors nabbed for free when the local college was remodeling about a decade ago. Possibly the heaviest load I've ever had in a van was a dozen of those doors in my old '88 GL

y u rune klassik?
Surfcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified Are you planning on running the FAS engine cradle or building your own?

Thanks everyone who has been sharing their knowledge and experience! This thread has been helpful for someone contemplating a ALH swap.

I have a 02 TDI Golf parts car I've been using for interior parts for another project. I still have all the mechanical parts. I'm nervous about starting this project since my wife and I have a 9 week road trip starting in the middle of November. However I'm feed up with my poorly running 2.1 and not confident in it for a 10k miles trip. I am a professional mechanic of 10 years, however I have no experience with this swap. Thoughts if this swap could be done in 3 months? Don't mean to thread jack, just thinking aloud.

Also, those who already have running TDI swaps, what's your average mpg?

Thanks,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: