Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

Hi all,

Since I did this recent project in about 30 minutes thanks to lots of research and reading here on TS prior to attempting it, I figured I'd do a little post about how my windshield installation went and maybe help someone else contemplating the same job. The full story is on our blog at http://ofwindsandwater.blogspot.com/2014/05/bus-discoveries-windshield-install.html Anyway, on to the install:

First, gather your tools:
- Windshield (I reinstalled the one the painter cracked here, as Sixer needed to be on a car carrier before I could get my hands on a new one. Plus, practice is always nice.)
- Windshield seal
- Spray bottle with straight Simple Green
- More Simple Green
- Small Tupperware container
- ~23’ of paracord (enough to go around the windshield twice, plus two feet)
- Beer of your choice. I recommend a session IPA for this job.
- A friend. You’ll probably need a beer for them as well.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next, remove the windshield (in my case the seal was already installed on the windshield, and the whole unit just resting in the body recess) and sponge out the standing water on your dash.

While that dries, fill the Tupperware with Simple Green, and soak the cord in it. The Simple Green acts as a lubricant that will neither absorb water, which you don’t want under the seal, nor will it attack the rubber of the seal. As the cord is soaking, find a caulk tube topper thing (the little white thing in my hand in these pictures). Spray everything with Simple Green. Cut it so the cord passes through easily. Thread a cord end through the caulk tube thing and into the seal. Using the caulk topper to spread the rubber lips of the seal, run the cord in the lip around the entire windshield twice, ending about a foot past the center of the top of the windshield on both sides. Leave about six inches of cord hanging out of the lip on either side of the center.

Spray the rubber seal and the sealing surface of the bus body with Simple Green, and help your friend set and position the windshield in the hole. Once in place, get inside the bus (you’re pulling the seal lip from the outside of the bus across the lip into the inside of the bus), start pulling the cord ends evenly, a few inches each side at a time, 90 degrees to the seal. If everything is set correctly, when you pull the cord out, the seal will be forced to the inside sealing surface of the body lip, securing the windshield. In certain places, it might help to have your friend put a small amount of pressure on the windshield from the outside. Too much pressure will make it more difficult, however.

And that’s it. Our windshield went in the first time around with the cord. I had the second wrap of cord in the seal as a backup, but it was not needed.
Steps to install a windshield:
1. Gather materials
2. Lube seal with Simple Green, install on windshield
3. Soak cord in Simple Green, use caulk tube top to insert cord into seal where it will interface with the bus body.
4. Spray everything with Simple Green again
5. Position windshield in body opening
6. Pull string out of seal from inside the bus, rolling the seal lip to the inside of the bus.
7. Test drive and marvel at how dry everything is now…
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this. I am confused about your tools, however. You reccommend Sessions, yet your photo shows a New Belgium Ranger. When I did a windshield install, I had perfectly fine results using a Bridgeport IPA. Can you explain? Very Happy
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

sixer wrote:

I really like the idea of using the "funnel" to get the cord in place. Good one!

Last time I did this, I used some thin nylon cordage. Not only was it hell on my hands, it actually tried to sort of "cut" the rubber seal. Using the parachute cord is much better, as it is so fat that it will not try to get through the rubber.

Good job! Thanks for sharing!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I could do something to contribute back to this forum. I've been learning massive amount by reading through everyone's posts, and will try to keep compiling the data from my own projects to contribute. The funnel trick I learned on TS, sorry for whomever came up with it as I couldn't find it back to cite you.

sunnydog wrote:
Thanks for this. I am confused about your tools, however. You reccommend Sessions, yet your photo shows a New Belgium Ranger. When I did a windshield install, I had perfectly fine results using a Bridgeport IPA. Can you explain? Very Happy

I can see your confusion. The picture was taken just prior to the install. Unfortunately, it started raining right after that, so we had to take cover inside the bus for a while to wait it out. We consumed the remaining New Belgium Rangers for survival. By the time the rain let up, it was decided something a bit lighter in ABV was needed. I had a nice local session IPA in a growler that suited the actual install well. And I figured it was the safer recommendation, there being glass involved and everything.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was confused as well. But a local growler of IPA makes complete sense now. Very Happy but seriously thanks for the window replacement tips, well done.
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait. A beer being consumed through a straw?

Now I'm confused.

Good job on the install.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have missed it but what seal manufacturer did you use?

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good write up, well done! I remember trying to do mine and broke the windscreen when I was putting the seal on the glass. Not willing to break another I paid an installer to do it. That was an expensive lesson that glass breaks real easy when it's that wide.
sunnydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like any IPA could be successfully brought to bear on the task -- having the right tool for the job is 75% of it, I always say.
Oilspot11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

I'm currently trying to install a windscreen in a 75. For all the pushing, adjusting, repositioning, and liberal use of simple green, my helper and I couldn't get the glass close enough to the frame to pull the string and have the seal lip get over the metal. I did all the other windows by myself, and this one just doesn't seem to want to be my happy friend. What can I do differently? It's near about the last thing I have to do before it's roadworthy!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

Has there been any bodywork or welding performed in the windshield hole while the glass was out? Same old glass and new seal?, new seal and new glass?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Oilspot11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

The metal is nearly perfect original. New windshield. One of the Fuyao ones. The seal is the variable here, that while supple and pliable, it was in a bag when I bought the bus. So it's at least a year old. Brazilian. I just didn't want to buy a new WCM seal and have it not be that.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

haha! you just got fu-ning in your butthole

search my name. you'll need to grind the glass to fit, I almost 100% guarantee it. I have used the WW seal...I have had the best luck with them. the FY, FYG (I think it is) glass is off by a mile in the upper corners

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Oilspot11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

I have read the posts where this glass is poorly shaped. There's also one's where it's not. Getting that seal on was a really bad memory, but I think I'll take it off to see just how the glass fits the hole. Ugh!

But I will say the corners were not even part of my problem.
Oilspot11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

OK, just went down and removed the seal. It really appears to be an even and appropriate gap all around the hole with the glass.

I think I'll just order a new seal from a known source - like WW- and go from there. Unless someone can tell me how wrong I started.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

Oilspot11 wrote:
OK, just went down and removed the seal. It really appears to be an even and appropriate gap all around the hole with the glass.

I think I'll just order a new seal from a known source - like WW- and go from there. Unless someone can tell me how wrong I started.

what you'll find with the WW seal is all will go great, until you hit the corners then it will be obvious...the seal *barely* rolls over the lip inside the bus, therefore you'll have to reshape the corners.

also note, aftermarket glass is a red one thinner than OE or at least quality glass. this makes the seal do some goofy shit as well, but it will work

I will add...me and windshields do not get along. so, I had my glass guy do this. he was adamant that I fucked up the windshield repair.

I bet him 100 and a free windshield that the old one would go in just fine (it was a bit pitted..no other issues) when it did, he apologized and gave me a free glass.

when I saw how much work we ended up doing to make it fit, I paid him the whole deal. we both learned something and he's wicked chill...so we know what to expect the next time

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Oilspot11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

My main problem shopping at WW is the shipping. There's not much I need from them for the late bus so I get hit there on single part orders. For the 38$ seal, 15$ shipping. On the other hand, turn a guy like me loose at GoWesty...

Last edited by Oilspot11 on Sat May 11, 2019 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

Here is my recent experience. It might help you... seal was from Bus Depot. I bought the cheap one because I’m a complete tight-ass.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8573470#8573470
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oilspot11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sixer's windshield install (1976 Transporter) Reply with quote

Wasted Youth

Yours was one of the threads that inspired me to do this at the house
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: