Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic transmission-rebuild it myself?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Automatic transmission-rebuild it myself? Reply with quote

I'm sitting at work, exploring all my options for rebuilding the transmission in my van. I'm seriously contemplating just doing it myself. Of course, I don't have the Bentley in front of my right now, but I'm thinking it can't be THAT bad....can it? Any of y'all done this before? And I don't mean you guys who are techs...I've never opened up an auto before. I am mechanically inclined, a plumber by trade, and helped my father, a master mechanic, work on pretty much anything and everything we've ever owned. So, would you do it? Any tips, tricks, or specific tools I may need before getting started? Btw, I live in BFE East Texas, and currently can't find a good used trans, and only 1 shop locally who would even entertain the idea of rebuilding it for me. And I'm not quite ready to throw $3000 towards a GTA rebuild.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been contemplating this myself. The transmission part shouldn't be too difficult, but I'm concerned about how best to set the R&P backlash without the proper tools or experience.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
mirthpeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=491252&highlight=automatic+transmission
2000 Cabrio- Needs lots of work
2002 Golf TDI- Future Vanagon transplant?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a spare auto transaxle in my backyard and I'm going to rebuild it this summer. Gods be damned, I will learn the transmission.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are organized an stay clean, you should be able to refresh the automatic section. The problem is, if you need a hard part that is not part of the overhaul. You won't hurt it by taking it apart, replacing the apply pistons, fibers and steels.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding Vanagon auto tranny Reply with quote

I've rebuilt 4 automatic transmissions (3 VW and one Eclipse).

The VW transmissions were for two early 80 model Rabbits and an '87 VW Quantum. They all worked just fine. The Eclipse died in about one month because the dude would not pay for a new torque converter. Since the tranny had badly burned clutches due to low oil, etc., no doubt the oil in the torque converter was loaded with debris....

As rsxsr stated, keeping it clean is very important.

Also, when I was doing the first tranny a guy come into my uncle's garage and saw what I was doing. He said on the assembly line where he retired from putting auto trannys together, they used WD-40 on everything. That's what I did.

Also, as you disassemble, lay the parts in a fashion you can tell how they come out. Put everything back in reverse as is the way the manual will show.

You need plenty of work space and should try to do the job all in one day if possible. That way you don't forget where things go!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your diving into the transmission for the first time..try and find a VW 3 speed 010 in a wrecking yard. If your lucky, a 3 speed off an Audi turbo would be very nice.

My point being you can do a dis assembly on the spare automatic..kind of see how it fits together. Then when you do your job you are more familiar with the work and you have some spare hard parts nearby too.

The good news is the plastic thrust washers are still available from VW..change them if you can. (or use the bronze washers from an Audi turbo)

The rebuild kit with the seals, gaskets and friction plates'fiber and steels is only about $105

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/VW_Audi_010_transmission_kits_p/710-000071002.htm

I would suggest not cracking the diff open unless you need to. Just replace the back to back seals (very important..they can be fiddly too..it is suppose to take a special tool but can be done if you take your time and wobble the back to back seal holder on carefully) and double up the torque converter seals. Replace the axle shaft seals too.

If you change the front seal in the diff, you will have to disassemble ...take your time and measure everything twice...very important.
greenraVR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a mechanic but consider myself to be highly mechanical. I will take on almost any job that needs to be done to my vehicles but tearing into an auto transmission is something I would never even consider
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not that bad to take one apart..use the Bentley. The clutch pack(s) free play can be a little tighten than VW spec..better shifting with firmer gear changes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Audi four gear planetary gears and bronze thrust washers..yum, yum

Joseph Pugh did a transmission rebuild pictorial that may be helpful too.

http://www.josephpugh.com/?p=126
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and ordered the master rebuild kit from GTA. Gonna go ahead and tackle this myself. I feel a lot better about it after a lengthy talk with Ken. Unfortunately the peloquin, freeway flier r&p, and Audi planetarys will have to wait til this winter when I have GTA build me another transmission!
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldskew..well done and enjoy the process..great satisfaction.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the Audi turbo trans section bolt right up and work "out of the box", when added to a T3 diff section?

y u rune klassik?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really understood the fear of working in auto transmissions.

As a teenager I rebuilt a dozen or so Chevy autos for me and my friends. I'm not an auto tech by any means.

Autos tend to only go together "one way" take it apart 1-2-3-4 and put it back together with new parts 4-3-2-1.

Enjoy! I think you will do just fine!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the valve bodies that weird people out, as they look like brains and have lots of balls and springs. I've taken a number of MB slushboxes apart, so I'm comfortable with the core concept of how they're assembled. These 010 boxes appear to be particularly user friendly

y u rune klassik?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Will the Audi turbo trans section bolt right up and work "out of the box", when added to a T3 diff section?

There might be some subtle differences between the VW and Audi versions of the 010 that would not be a direct bolt up, but can't say for sure. It would most likely be obvious differences like the pump and turbine shaft etc.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never been clear to me whether you could just bolt up the Audi unit, or if you had to cobble together a combination of the two. I'm about to pull the trigger on what is purported to be a low mileage RDU code transaxle

y u rune klassik?
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Never tried and don't think so..but here is a fellow who rebuilt his automatic on a picnic table while traveling..using an Audi 5000 automatic.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253381&highlight=automatic+campground
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Reading that thread, Herman indicates that the Audi unit isn't a direct swap, but the bits can be cobbled together, since the housings are roughly the same. I'll probably buy a turbo trans section and rebuild it along with the T3 bits I need. I'll take pics and post them in my build thread.

y u rune klassik?
greenraVR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtlasShrugged wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

Never tried and don't think so..but here is a fellow who rebuilt his automatic on a picnic table while traveling..using an Audi 5000 automatic.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253381&highlight=automatic+campground

That's pretty awesome!
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and pulled the transmission and tore it down today after work. My fear of rebuilding it myself is pretty much gone but after finding this I'm not sure how to proceed. Guess I'll give GTA a call in the morning.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: