Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine question help
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Engine question help Reply with quote

Ok Porsche guys hope you can steer me in a good direction.

I am building a sand rail. Here is what I have:
Hawkeye 4 seat frame
Type 1 everything else.
- irs
- trany
-Axil and cv's
- etc...
I have an old 1600 that run; it's tired but runs good. That said I found a 914 that has been parked since 2005. The engine turns over but doesent run??? "It leaks a little oil and has duel webers." That's about all I got out of the engine condition. I can get the car for 1000.00 or a 302.

#1 what do y'all think about a 1.9L 914 eng and #2 will it work with what I got and or what mods will I have to make. The rail is mainly for me cruzing or putting The kidsin the back doing donuts; I'm not looking to break speed records or wheelie down the street...not yet.
Also are there any costs that I should be concerned with since it has that fancy Porsche price tag. Here is what I'm working with.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW-Porsche Type 4 engine was either 1.7L, 1.8L or 2.0L. Was it modified to be a 1.9L? It will need a different flywheel to mate with the T1 IRS. You can probably keep the pancake cooling if it fits within your chassis (it's a good 6" longer). You will probably want to add rear engine mounts. $1k for a non-running engine is costly - unless you can part out the rest of the 914 for $700.
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx. Didn't know 914 costs. I was gona get a buddy look at it and get better feed back. The guy said I was suppose to be a 2.0L but he was sure it was a 1.9??? Not sure. Don't know what to look for. Other than that he said originally they were fuel injected but at some point dual webers were put on. Again don't know anything about 914's. I think it's a 1974.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 2L 914 was actually 1971 cc and the 1.8L was actually 1795 cc. It's a VW engine used in the VW 411/412 and the '72 up VW transporter too. The 2L is preferred engine - get the engine code/serial number and look it up. GA/GB/GC are the first 2 letters of the 2L engine codes. GB had the most HP @ 100. It is a costly engine to rebuild and modify.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: