Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I have a plan...but I need a rusty '62
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: I have a plan...but I need a rusty '62 Reply with quote

Hey all,

I have a '62 ragtop that is practically rust free in the middle of a restoration. Actually, its been "in the middle of a restoration" for at least 10 years.

But today I had an idea. You see, the last time I drove that car, I blew the engine, sold it, and then bought it back 10 years later. So it hasn't been driven for 20 years. But, it's been kept indoors, so there isn't much rust on it.

I got smacked pretty bad back in the day, and I've since welded in the clip. But if memory serves, back in the day, the transmission howled, and the car never steered perfectly after we tried to fix it with a come-along and an oak tree. I have a '62 engine to put in it, but it over heated pretty bad last time I used it.

So to review, I have a suspect transmission, iffy front end, possibly fried engine, etc. Sad state of affairs, right?

So I'm a comicbook collector. I've got a pretty good collection. I had an inspiration today. I'm going to do something. I'm going to sell some comicbooks and buy a rusty beetle. I'll drive that beetle while I restore my '62 shell to perfection. Then, at some point, I'll swap bodies. Problem solved!

So I've started shopping for a good body and I did find one sort of close to my location in Tallahassee, Fl, but I'll keep up the hunt. Something that is a rust bucket, but runs and drives good.

So my question to all of you is...what frames will work for my '62? And another related question, what frames would be identical to the '62 frame? A '64? A '61?

My plan is to run the smaller '61 tail lights, tastefully drop the front end without sacrificing ride quality, and eventually put in a hotter engine. I have time. But for now, I'm on the hunt for a rusty early beetle that runs and drives.

Dunno if I have a photo..but if I do, I'll post one.

Steve
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I got one.

Just committed to buying this car over the phone. It's "pending" and deposit is going out. It will be mine.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1623549

I saw some more detailed pictures, and its the kind of thing that I can patch with fiberglass and enjoy the car for a year or so while I work on my rust-free '62 ragtop...fixing dents, sanding, painting, etc. I can also start gathering parts. I just committed to buying a convertible decklid, and I'll be on the hunt for nice wheels. I already have the interior I need, but I'll be recovering the seats anyway. I'll use them in this "hood ride" until I have my ragtop shell ready and then swap them out. Maybe gonna hunt down some doodads for the dashboard too. Always wanted a tach. Smile

Front end is an adjustable beam that was narrowed five inches, and also has disk brakes, which takes it out another half inch. I've learned there are no front shocks in the car. Can't decide if that is too aggressive for me, or if I'll like it or not. I do like a lowered car.

Steve
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: