Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Narrow your own Beam !!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Square73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to find out how narrow you can go. There won't be a body to get in the way, I don't care if it will roll over easily, I just want to know how far one can be narrowed.

Thanks
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably till the spindles hit each other. if it is light you may only need 1 set of springs. you can use a through bar or the spring and leave out the ajuster grub screw so the ajuster can rotate.(the springs tie the arms togeather and hold the on.)good luck
gimpy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you guys morph a beam with through rods (I ain't) what holds the lateral thrust on them? do you drill & use the grub screws or what? there is no thrust bearings in there, so what gives?
Fordman49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question...

I am getting an axle narrowed and adjusters installed for my '72. Without drop spindles is 4" narrowed too much? I will be getting drop spindles when money allows, but at the same time I would rather get the axle done now rather than have it worked on twice....

Advice is greatly appreciated!!!
510DUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: front beam problems Reply with quote

Not sure if i am posting in the right spot. Have used this site to help me with alot i have done to my 1970 model bug. I am having a few troubles with the front being really stiff. I have welded in adjusters and shortened the front 4 inches, But when i put the adjusters in i gave them an extra 10mm of turn so i could go even lower. But now i am sure that this must be just binding them up, There for making the front really stiff. I have also jacked it up and loosened the adjusters of, than lowered onto jack stands so both top and bottom are not fighting each other and tightened them back up. Still did not help. I also am running 2.5inch drop spindles. so i am looking at just getting another beam and starting again.

Also having trouble with getting a good turning circle. have not removed the steering arm damper which is restricting turn. but i am running stock wheels and tyres. The tyres are hitting the inside wheel tubs anyway. if i go to another 4 inch beam, and remove steering arm damper with a lower profile tyre. will i have full turn without rubbing anywhere. i am only looking at having the front sill 80 mm of the ground if that.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorter springs naturally have a higher spring rate. Your ball joints could very well be binding as well, but with drop spindles I doubt they are.

Stock torsion bearings might be better than urethane bushings if you're running those.

if it is simply too much spring rate, that opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zodlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: holes with small plastic plugs in beam Reply with quote

So I got all the brackets cut off. There are 4 holes under the mounts with plugs in them I have looked and look with no answer.

Do I just fill those or leave them?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8119987#8119

Bagged 69 pile (SOLD)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591100&start=0
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: holes with small plastic plugs in beam Reply with quote

zodlaw wrote:
So I got all the brackets cut off. There are 4 holes under the mounts with plugs in them I have looked and look with no answer.

Do I just fill those or leave them?

Post some pics.
Could they be the zerk grease fitting holes? Those should be towards the outer ends as they are meant to fill grease into the space between the inner/outer bushing/bearing. They should not be anywhere near the brackets.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
zodlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are 1/8 holes with plastic plugs on the inside. Under the frame head brackets. You don't see them till you cut them off to move them. The outside Zerk fittings are still in the beam. The beam is at work so I can't get pictures. Sad

Bagged 69 pile (SOLD)
zodlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some pics of the holes, Fill or not to fill that is the question. Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bagged 69 pile (SOLD)
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might have been some kind of locating holes for jigging the parts during the manufacturing process. Just a guess.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something here... why did you remove the mounts and move them over? I don't see where the beam has been cut in the middle to narrow it... Confused

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zodlaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left them on when I cut the beam with a pipe cutter. I am in the middle of the last cut and taking 6" out.

Bagged 69 pile (SOLD)
Jayuyano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question bout a beam I got from a friend that was cut 6 inches put it on my 69 bug but the steering is way off turns completely on the passenger side but on the drivers side it doesn't turn all the way it drags the tire and the steering is stiff. Sad Sad Sad
Jerkhalter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Adjuster Degree Reply with quote

What degree are you guys welding adjusters in. Looking for lowered bug look
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a complete list of parts required for a 4" narrow and adjuster install? Ex: adjusters, bearings , bushings etc.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
Does anyone have a complete list of parts required for a 4" narrow and adjuster install? Ex: adjusters, bearings , bushings etc.

What are you starting with?

If your existing beam is trash, then you will need a complete front beam? If you have a well equipped shop you may only need to buy the pair of adjusters (top & bottom). You will need the tools to cut the beam and move the mounts. You also need to buy the narrowed top/bottom leaf springs or mod the existing ones. Again, what are you starting with and what facilities do you have?

The bearings and bushings are already in the beam and unless they are worn out you shouldn't need new ones.

Have you looked at the pictorial walk-thru at the beginning of this thread (Page 1)?
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all necessary tools the beam is still on car. I understand worn parts will need to be replaced but let's just say everything I have is good (yeah right)what else must or should be purchased? I know I will need adjusters and grease seals. I have a 69 beetle with 2.5" drop spindle disc brakes and would like to have the tires tucked under fenders and a little lower. Will I need lowered shocks or stock height? Anything else ? You know there is always unforeseen costs that come with these simple cheap projects surely it isn't as cheap and simple as this thread says come on guys I know someone has a list of parts they had to buy after someone else said "all you need is adjusters"
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grease seals are a good example of something you might be able to re-use, but probably a good idea to replace while you have the arms off. The same could apply to the tie rod ends and ball joints. If the boots for these are cracked or long gone, you should consider at least replacing the boots if not replacing the complete joints. But this is not part of the beam narrowing, just something you may want to replace/refresh while you have the front beam apart.
Do you also want to pick up some black paint to coat the beam? Some don't do anything to the welds and leave them raw. If it were me, I'd clean and paint the beam and torsion arms while I had them out.

Since you already have 2.5" dropped spindles (which do not need shorter shocks) you may only need to lower the front another inch or so. That probably doesn't require new shocks. If you were dropping it another 2" you might need shorter (Opel) shocks. Again, this will depend on your plans and at what point the tires start to rub the fenders.

When you are done post pics here so we can see.
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I will probably add this to my winter to do list. I will post pics when it's complete.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: