Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reserve tank on a Bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reserve tank on a Bug Reply with quote

I have a '62 Bug and when I was showing a friend one time he said I was missing the lever for the reserve tank. What reserve tank I asked and he said that his old Bug had a lever to switch to the last chance reserve tank. Is he correct or crazy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IndianaVWKid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reserve tank on a Bug Reply with quote

You're buddy was correct...His OLD'er bug had one, I'm sure of it...Anything '61 and earlier (without a gas guage) had a reserver lever, just above the tunnel in the chassis, and on the firewall. It was used when you were driving along, and ran out of gas, then you flipped it over, and it went to a 1 gallon reserve. The reserve is actually, just the last gallon of gas in the bottom of the tank, the lever just switched it between to hoses that sucked gas at different heights, top one was for normal use, and the bottom, for the reserve, it's a great idea, but sometimes it takes a while to get the gas flowing again. Gas guages are a little handier to use, so consider yourself lucky.
James
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reserve tank on a Bug Reply with quote

Reserve fuel levers were used till '61 on Beetles. Your '62 has a fuel gauge and NO reserve lever.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reserve tank on a Bug Reply with quote

Hard to believe the same engineers that came up with such a neat solution to running out of gas also came up with the world's worst way to power the windshield washer.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reserve tank on a Bug Reply with quote

My '66 has a reserve lever on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: