Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

manual transmission advice
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Mobil Delvac Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what Daryl Crying or Very sad has running in his vehicle. I asked him if it would be a good choice for me, now it is what I am running in my transaxle. Daryl was really looking into lubricants. I told Matt that I would run it so when the time came for a rebuild he can see how it performed. I am hoping Matt doesn't get to look in there for a long long time! Wink

There are many brands of lubricants out there to choose from and some are made for specific types of applications.

Some interesting reading can be found in the "Fuels and Lubricants Handbook: Technology, Properties, Performance ..., Volume 1" Chapter 16.

http://petroleumebooks.com/blog/fuels-lubricants-handbook-technology-properties-performance-testing/

Here is a little reading for those who want some info:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENC...W-140.aspx

https://www.lubrizol.com/DrivelineAdditives/AutomotiveGearOil/GL5.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=ykXL_9KDBc0C&...mp;f=false
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VANGAUX wrote:

We have a '91 Westy with stock engine and manual transmission...Daryl used Mobile 1 Delvac 75/90 synthetic (API GL-5) and it made a very noticeable improvement in noise at highway speed. ...
To quote Daryl from an email he sent me: "The oil I used was Mobil 1 Delvac 75/90 synthetic and it really is some magic stuff it seems."

A frequent poster on the Vanagon.com email list said..."Daryl's position was Swepco is only needed in vans running 150 - 200 horsepower and that lower power vans are fine with Delvac or possibly Amsoil but to not use Redline as the formula had been changed and no longer meets the requirements for our transmissions."

Daryl had a bostig for a short time (140 hp), which he replaced with a Subaru 2.5 (165 hp)

One reason to use synthetic, is that it shifts easier when cold. Swepco 201 is more protective though (as Daryl says to use it in Vans with more than 150hp), and Swepco 201 shifts great once it reaches 75F in my experience.

Besides Daryl, here is another source that recommends Swepco 201 over Delvac, note the part that says "Swepco 201 is a better choice for... VW manual gearboxes"

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/756833-mobil-1-delvac-g50-lsd-option.html
"Mobil Delvac Synthetic Gear Oil, is the factory fill from Porsche on factory cars… We recommend this gear lubricant in G50 and later manual gearboxes (or any gearboxes calling for a GL5 lubricant) for both aircooled and watercooled Porsches without limited-slip differentials. Not a limited slip gear lubricant! Although also compatible with earlier Porsche gearboxes, Swepco 201 is a better choice for these gearboxes in our personal experience (including 901 and 915, as well as VW manual gearboxes)".
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Speaking of threadjacking (sorry Vermontgirl), but while we have all the tranny oil experts here . . . My rig's in my sig - I have Royal Purple Max-Gear 75-90 synthetic in the transmission. After about an hour of freeway driving with some long 3% grades, my fourth gear is getting quite noisy. Me thinks the added HP is killing the transmission, but would like to get some more miles out of it before a Rancho or other upgrade.
What oil would be best to add a bit more life?

Daryl recommended Swepco 210 for higher power engine conversions like my 165 HP Subaru.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw, 201 is 80w90, 210 is 80w140
I have used both, and they shift the same. I went back to 201 because I believe 140w is overkill at our temperatures.

some people may find this thread interesting (this link suggests Swepco 201 is a better choice than Swepco 210)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=594332

and this one (again supports Swepco 201 over other versions)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546909

Last edited by Jon_slider on Tue May 20, 2014 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Daryl recommended Swepco 210 for higher power engine conversions like my 165 HP Subaru.

fwiw, 201 is 80w90, 210 is 80w140
I have used both, and they shift the same. I went back to 201 because I believe 140w is overkill at our temperatures.

you may also find this thread interesting (this link suggests Swepco 201 is a better choice than Swepco 210)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=594332

and this one (again supports Swepco 201 over other versions)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546909

I wasn't asking a question.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread turned into a complete threadjack. If everybody who threadjacked here kicked in $5 for each of their OT posts we could buy the OP a rebuilt tranny. Rolling Eyes

Someone set up a paypal fund and I will send my $5. Evil or Very Mad
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
This thread turned into a complete threadjack. If everybody who threadjacked here kicked in $5 for each of their OT posts we could buy the OP a rebuilt tranny. Rolling Eyes

HA!! Love this.. and the idea of paypal funding my new tranny! (there are in fact people on here who have payed it forward, giving what they can to help me out in repair costs. This sort of generosity & kindness is dumbfounding, refreshing, and restorative of my faith in humanity.)

Anyway, I do realize I asked a "can of worms" question to begin with and thus expected this thread to spawn many tributaries.

I've gotten every voice of advice. Yesterday, a local reputable mechanic said there's no use in draining the tranny fluid if I can't afford to rebuild/buy used right now. (in my heart & mind it makes the most sense to rebuild but i'm still open to a decent used.) He, like some of you, said I might as well drive it until it no longer drives, keeping my AAA updated and not going on any super long trips. In some ways this does make the most sense to me -- only because I know I'm working my tail off all summer with no vacations until this fall (and that will involve flying, not driving) so if all I can do is drive to local mountains & the pacific for hiking and camping whilst saving for a rebuild, that will have to do. Of course I am aware that I'm at risk of the trans failing every time I drive Esther. I'm aware that the trans could give out on me in the most inconvenient (and unsafest) of places.

When I started this thread I wanted opinions and advice on what you have done or would do in my predicament. If I couldn't handle what you all truly think, etc, I would've kept quiet.

I am here to learn from you all. Every piece of advice is worthy. I've gotten it all including the "you're just an idiot girl who knows sh*t about working on these things, why even bother." Even that pitiful mentality is useful in its own right. I have unlimited brain space for these things but def a limited shop & tools capacity for it. That's most of my issues. I mostly rent and have a street to park in, with little to no storage for tools larger than what always stay in my van.

I'll keep this thread updated with what's happening.

Best,

VG

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTgirl, keep your head up.

Some of the "know it all posters" are misquoting and actually need to brush up on the info they keep posting.
I don't have time or the desire to reiterate the correct info any longer.

Go with what you can afford.
Many around these forums talk so much and actually have ZERO experience.
They are just reposting what others have posted....not always correct I might add Wink
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

That's a great idea - I'm in! Something like a Kickstarter or GoFundMe campaign. Or just email your PayPal address.

Go Luca! Wink
www.thebassspa.com
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is!

I refilled with this because it's what I could afford & is within specs:

http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-SL24239-GL-4-Multi-Purpose-Hypoid/dp/B000M8RYMC

And, a big warm thank you to Dampcamper for his help, time, & guidance this morning. I sure made a mess but got it done!

Now, tell me about that plug...

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville

Last edited by childofthewind on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me that is a pretty typical amount of metal fuzz for a tranny that has gone a LONG ways on the same oil, even maybe still the original oil. What I do is grab the entire ball of fuzz with a clean paper towel. As scary as it looks on the magnet, once it is away from the magnet the clump of fuzz just falls into bits. Then I look at the bits to see sizes and shapes. If all of it turns into basically metal dust on the towel then maybe ok. If you can make out pieces of spring or teeth or chunks of anything, uh-oh.

What about the color of the drained oil. Was it just dark and dirty or did it have a metallic sheen from chewed up aluminum? A metallic sheen means uh-oh.

At this point I wouldn't worry much about what gear oil gets put in. The tranny has lived the better part of its life and no telling if it will go for years more or only months more. Assuming it was only fine metal dust on the magnet, I would run it and keep an ear on it. If this is your regular driver vehicle you should be able to tell if things start to take a sudden turn for the worse.

Mark

vermontgirl wrote:
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl wrote:
I've gotten it all including the "you're just an idiot girl who knows sh*t about working on these things, why even bother." Even that pitiful mentality is useful in its own right.

No, it isn't. Those type of remarks come from boys who never grew up, nor have any respect for car chicks. While it gives you and other women an even bigger drive to fix your/our own vehicles, it does nothing more than add noise to the conversation. That post of Turbo's should've been reported, and I'm sorry I hadn't opened this thread two weeks ago to see it (I've now removed it). Sarcastic and disparaging remarks towards the female gender I tolerate in the car world because it's simply a male-dominated realm; but when a girl is asking for help or guidance to fix a genuine car problem, that kind of crap doesn't fly with me. Shame on you

Speaking of noise, Luka has now replaced the gear oil. If y'all want to continue the gear oil debate, take it over to http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366486 . Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl wrote:

you may also want to post it here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596332&start=20

and see a few other peoples plugs for comparison

congrats on your fluid flush, I hope your tranny continues to serve you well for at least another 10k miles so you can catch your breath between repairs

symptoms that would be warning signs of a worsening problem include
1. Increasingly difficulty when you shift into any gear, AFTER the transaxle has warmed up. Dont be confused by COLD shifting issues that go away once warmed up.

2. Changes in whining noise that the transaxle makes while driving, mostly what you can hear when going slow enough not to have highway noise drown out tranny noises. You may find your whining noise is greatest when decelerating, and you might choose to use slight positive pressure on the throttle to reduce how much time the tranny spends in whining mode.

3. Significant increase in vibration. Get into the habit of putting a finger on your shift knob, and developing a feel for your current baseline vibration at specific speeds and in specific gears. Example, 2nd@20mph, 3rd@40mph, 4th@60mph

Learn to distinguish vibration that is from the motor at different RPM, by developing a baseline feel with the van stopped in neutral. Rev to 1000, then 2000, then 3000, and even 4000 for just a couple of seconds, so you learn how much vibration exists from the motor alone, separate from vibration that happens when actually moving.
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

What about the color of the drained oil. Was it just dark and dirty or did it have a metallic sheen from chewed up aluminum? A metallic sheen means uh-oh.

Mark

vermontgirl wrote:

The drained oil was quite clear, properly light in color and had no metallic sheen to it and no discernable pattern of different colors in the pan. And it had a "nice bouquet" for gear oil, just the right amount of stinky. The van had been driven for a couple of miles just prior to draining so anything in there should have been stirred up into suspension in the oil.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermontgirl wrote:

Pretty typical I'd say. Even the one from the rebuild I got from Daryl looked like that when I changed the oil after 30K miles. Seen plenty that looked much worse.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, everyone. thought i'd give you an update since i've been quiet for a while (although have it be known i visit the samba daily).

i'm still driving with my old transmission and nothing has changed. it still whines and at times is a bugger getting into first but nothing super bad. i have a rebuilt fund set aside; hopefully along with my tax return i can proceed with a new transmission. i've had to fly back east a couple times this fall/winter since my dad was diagnosed with cancer so this has put a halt on all financial contributions to the tranny fund.

other than that, the van is running pretty well, with a couple minor issues lurking.. nothing out of the ordinary. Smile

i have my chains, snowshoes, portable heater, atlases, food, & beer all stocked in the van for cozy winter (short) trips. i hope you all have a great winter and thanks again for creating such a useful resource for me and my esther.

-luka

BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
hey, everyone. thought i'd give you an update since i've been quiet for a while (although have it be known i visit the samba daily).

i'm still driving with my old transmission and nothing has changed. it still whines and at times is a bugger getting into first but nothing super bad. i have a rebuilt fund set aside; hopefully along with my tax return i can proceed with a new transmission. i've had to fly back east a couple times this fall/winter since my dad was diagnosed with cancer so this has put a halt on all financial contributions to the tranny fund.

other than that, the van is running pretty well, with a couple minor issues lurking.. nothing out of the ordinary. Smile

i have my chains, snowshoes, portable heater, atlases, food, & beer all stocked in the van for cozy winter (short) trips. i hope you all have a great winter and thanks again for creating such a useful resource for me and my esther.

-luka

Be careful putting off a whining transmission too long. I bought mine with the knowledge that a rebuild was needed soon. It was leaking pretty bad, and whined as I went. I still drove it for a few trips, and thought, how bad can it be since it's still functional. When I took it in for the rebuild however, I learned that the whining was the slow death of the ring and pinion. It was totally unusable for the rebuild and ended up costing me a thousand dollars over the base rebuild cost. Crying or Very sad

Oh well, at least I know I'm good for another couple hundred thousand miles now, and I no longer have to worry about the dreaded 3-4 slider sudden death syndrome.

Glad to hear you're still using your van throughout the winter. Be sure to wave as you go by if you head into the California mountains and foothills past Sacramento! Very Happy
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's not leaking.. not yet. it hasn't changed in months, since the initial episode (read the whole thread to learn more).

i bike to work 5 days a week and if i'm lucky, get out of the concrete jungle on one of my days off.

i just renewed my AAA premier. i'm not going too far away but know anything can happen anytime (life is a good reminder of that).

i'm really looking forward to a german transaxle rebuild come spring.

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got it covered pretty well to me. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vermontgirl,

Since you did the original oil change in June, maybe another is due. Now that you have a little time on it would be insightful. I know there is the cost of the oil and the inconvenience (and smell), but you would get a pretty good idea of the rate of wear. If you don't have the shimmer in the drained oil and the fur ball is not big, you may have some more time.

bo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: